Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassment of riches: who is Ireland's best goalkeeper?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Randolph's entire Premier League career took in 34 games (22 of those in one season).
    I was only thinking yesterday that it's hard not to see Bazunu (in particular imho) not carving out a really good career at this stage, if not at City somewhere at a high level. As stated above, Randolph was essentially a journeyman whose career got better in its second half. In recent times Shay's career is the benchmark for Irish keepers. A long tenure at a decent club, top flight more often than not, and arguably should have played at a better club. Alan Kelly and Keiren Westwood both did well, each spending time at EPL and Championship level but never coming close to Champions League standard clubs. Shay had some seasons in CL I think?

I think Bazunu should have at least as good a career as Shay. I expect Kelleher will do well when his chance comes, wherever or whenever that may be. I also think Travers is set to have at least as good a career as David Forde had in England.

Let's not forget that Forde and Randolph were perfectly capable international keepers, so I think we're really well set in this position for a long time. The interesting questions are just how well these young guys will do on an individual basis and who'll be number 1 going into the qualifiers.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 17/12/2021 at 9:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Packie Bonner analysing goalkeeping performance at Euro 2020: https://www.uefa.com/news/0270-13f89...o-goalkeepers/
    some interesting thoughts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    The way the Kelleher thread seems to be going, it might be time to dust off this bad boy again:

As of right now we have (in no particular order......):

1. Maybe one of the most exciting 19 year old keepers in world football. Marca seem to think so. He's at the top of the charts for clean sheets at club level (albeit in L1) but has also has faced down the world's greatest goalscorer at a higher level. He's made some mistakes as you'd expect a kid to do and your heart would be in your mouth at times but he's also pulled off some of the saves of the year and is reportedly in demand at the highest level. Genuinely think he could end up as a world class player.

2. An EPL deputy learning his trade behind possibly the best in the world who just did a great job in one of Liverpool's biggest games of the year and seems as least good enough to be first choice at that level despite a lack of game time. He's an injury to Alisson away from being #1 and playing CL football.

3. An option playing at the top of the Championship who is also tied for the clean sheet record (I think) that would look completely reasonable if not for the 2 above.

By Irish standards, that's a wealth of options and any would be worthy of a start in the current team. All have plenty of time on their side as well. As of January 2022 we are in good shape.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    We might ask to see if we can play more than one goalkeeper.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Travers does have two goals to his name. He could be an option up front?

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Between goal keeper and defenders we are building nicely from the back. If a few of the options going forward kick on we will be good shape

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Wing back is a slight concern - Coleman, McClean, Doherty and Stevens are all past 30. I think we need to use the March friendlies to have a look at a new option or two there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Wing back is a slight concern - Coleman, McClean, Doherty and Stevens are all past 30. I think we need to use the March friendlies to have a look at a new option or two there.
    Theres a few young lads that are probably a few years away yet so I dont think we'll be replacing those 4 in the next campaign

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Travers does have two goals to his name. He could be an option up front?
    Kelleher and Bazunu started outfield I believe - stick all three up front and get John O'Shea back in goals.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Theres a few young lads that are probably a few years away yet so I dont think we'll be replacing those 4 in the next campaign
    Ebosele and O’Dowda both playing there at the minute. Ebosele May still need more experience at club level, but showing a lot of pace and promise.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Isn't Ogbene playing wing back at club level?

Scales is starting to break through at celtic too so hopefully he can kick on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    We also have Manning, O'Shea as possible options and hopefully the breakthrough of Tayo Adaramola and continued maturation of others like Scales, Ebosele etc (as 3rdP and OTOH mentioned).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    We also have Manning, O'Shea as possible options and hopefully the breakthrough of Tayo Adaramola and continued maturation of others like Scales, Ebosele etc (as 3rdP and OTOH mentioned).
    I dont think Manning will ever be the answer there tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    I agree - he'd only do in a pinch. A possible option. Same with O'Shea but for different reasons - would we want to see him shoved out there either given how solid he has looked in the back three?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    I know it's not definitive but I was well impressed by this compilation of saves by Bazunu - what I really like is that includes a variety of types of saves: acrobatic, full-length dives; getting down low quickly; saving with his feet; reflex saves; and perhaps most importantly Schmeichel-style starfish rushing of forwards clean through on goal:

I also want to note that, as a Liverpool fan, I've never been blown away by Alisson. I even watched a compilation video of his saves to see if I was missing something and, while there were plenty of good saves in it, there weren't any truly great saves - in fact a bunch of Bazunu's saves in this video were better than the best from the Alisson one
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 04/01/2022 at 11:41 PM. Reason: embedded video

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I know it's not definitive but I was well impressed by this compilation of saves by Bazunu - what I really like is that includes a variety of types of saves: acrobatic, full-length dives; getting down low quickly; saving with his feet; reflex saves; and perhaps most importantly Schmeichel-style starfish rushing of forwards clean through on goal:

I also want to note that, as a Liverpool fan, I've never been blown away by Alisson. I even watched a compilation video of his saves to see if I was missing something and, while there were plenty of good saves in it, there weren't any truly great saves - in fact a bunch of Bazunu's saves in this video were better than the best from the Alisson one
    I’ve never bought into the Alisson = best in world stuff. I often feel he’s got lucky at times and in pure goalkeeping ability I’d rate several others ahead of him. However he brings a calm reliability to the position and fills a big club’s jersey very well. He has a great knack of good saves at big moments. He was a great addition to Liverpool. A goalkeeper’s presence or personality is really important. Alisson has it. Kelleher seems to have it. Bazunu seems to have it. Travers didn’t have it in Belgrade but is still young. I commented in October that when Kelleher first played for Liverpool I thought he looked a bit like what he was - a kid finding his way in grown up football. In the last year this has changed markedly, he now looks like he knows he belongs at a high level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I wonder could Newcastle come in for one of them? They're suddenly stinking rich and desperate for quality.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I’ve never bought into the Alisson = best in world stuff. I often feel he’s got lucky at times and in pure goalkeeping ability I’d rate several others ahead of him. However he brings a calm reliability to the position and fills a big club’s jersey very well. He has a great knack of good saves at big moments. He was a great addition to Liverpool. A goalkeeper’s presence or personality is really important. Alisson has it. Kelleher seems to have it. Bazunu seems to have it. Travers didn’t have it in Belgrade but is still young. I commented in October that when Kelleher first played for Liverpool I thought he looked a bit like what he was - a kid finding his way in grown up football. In the last year this has changed markedly, he now looks like he knows he belongs at a high level.
    How can he ( or anybody else ) be sure that he belongs at a high level consistently until he plays at a high level consistently. As it goes Liverpool had a lot of goalkeeping problems before signing Allison.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I wonder could Newcastle come in for one of them? They're suddenly stinking rich and desperate for quality.
    And we are all available.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    They will probably go with the tried and trusted as it would be a mite embarrassing for the super-wealthy owners if the promising young fella did not work out. It would be one hell of an interesting punt ( especially for us ) mind.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast