Despite a spirited performance, substitute Adam Queally’s second-half goal - when they were trailing 2-0 - proved to be just a consolation for Ireland as Wales hung on to claim the victory.
Head Coach Paul Osam made eight changes from the side that started their narrow 1-0 loss to Scotland in the opening game of the tournament on Sunday with Aidan Cannon, Sean Hayden, and Adam O’Halloran the only survivors.
Looking to bounce back from that loss, the Boys in Green started this game on the front foot and they almost took the lead inside eight minutes but Taylor Mooney was denied as goalkeeper Luke Armstrong did well to smother the ball at his feet when he looked certain to finish.
Wales soon settled into the game and they took the lead in the 15th minute although Ireland almost called that out midway through the first half.
Najemedine Fazi’s free-kick struck the wall and after the ball broke kindly to Mooney, he flashed his strike just over the crossbar.
The Irish were made to rue missing those goalscoring opportunities at the beginning of the second period as Wales doubled their lead just one minute after the restart.
Ireland dominated possession from that moment on though and they reduced the deficit four minutes later thanks to Adam Queally from a corner kick.
They were unfortunate not to find an equaliser before full time as their attention now turns to their final game against Northern Ireland on Friday the 22nd of October at H&W Welders Football Club with kick-off set for 1:30 pm.
Wales: Armstrong, Cox, Crew, Belmont, Cunningham, Walker-Smith, Hardy, Myles, Beecher, Cook, Thomas.
Republic of Ireland: Maher; Hayden (O’Sullivan 46), Sheeran, Fazi, Healy (Turley 60), Armstrong (Queally 46), Mooney (Dodd 46), O’Halloran, Moore, Okosun, Cannon (Kone Doherty 46).
Referee: Richard White.

Ireland Category:
Under 16 Mens

Choose Site:

Match Preview / Report:
Match Report

The Republic of Ireland’s Men's Under-16s lost 2-1 to Wales in the Victory Shield following a tight game at Seaview, Belfast on Tuesday.