Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 15th to 18th October

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Has there been a worse season of goalkeeping? Another shocker there...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Bohs defence doing everything they can to gift it to Rovers here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Another game spoiled by a poor ref decision.decent point after being down to ten men and 1 down. Should have won it though

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Did Rovers make 6 substitutions? I think so... Walkover for Bohs on the cards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewayspasser View Post
    Did Rovers make 6 substitutions? I think so... Walkover for Bohs on the cards?
    Was one of them a concussion sub?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Poor enough advert for the league tonight. Some patches of decent play but lots of sloppy mistakes. Poor Kavanagh off injured again. The lad is just cursed.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    The standard take from the clubs not challenging but a weird one from a Dundalk fan given you're in the relegation fight with a ridiculous budget and strong squad. That'd point towards a fairly tough league no?
    Or else they're a basket case of a club who've made several bad signings (keeper in particular costing them lots of points) which led them to sack their manager and replace him with the guy they sacked last year.

In that case, one of your main title rivals imploding would make for an easier league, not a harder one.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Was one of them a concussion sub?
    I don't think so, but I'm not sure about the first half sub (wasn't paying attention).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I'll settle for title 19 and improve next year to go after number 20.
    Far the better side in the second half , Doyle cost us the 3 points.
    O Neill went off with concussion hence the 6 subs.
    13 clear 16 if we beat Longford. Hopefully pats don't lose on Monday against Dundalk and give us a chance to win it at home against harps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    13 clear 16 if we beat Longford. Hopefully pats don't lose on Monday against Dundalk and give us a chance to win it at home against harps
    Thought O'Neill was a groin injury?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I know people love multiquotes so....

The standard take from the clubs not challenging
    Yup very true, Dundalk fans especially over the last while would agree.

but a weird one from a Dundalk fan given you're in the relegation fight with a ridiculous budget and strong squad.
    Not wierd, very frustrating! The mess at Dundalk has little to do with the general standard for this league season. Incredible level of self destruction when a fraction of the budget with some competence at board level could have us in the title mix.

That'd point towards a fairly tough league no?
    No!

If anything it's a harder league to win this season than any of Dundalks recent wins.
    Sure its always harder for Rovers than anyone else being the only team that everyone wants to beat!

Sure you only had Seani Maguire to compete with and you still lost one.
    Seanie, refs, pitches and crisp packets were all against us so 2017 was an impossible task. It was a blip, victims of financial doping...

We came in third at one point
    Thats true, more than one point though no? Signing Mannus alone closed the gap. Cant win leagues without a proper keeper.

We have multiple derbies and yourselves to get past.
    Ah yes the derbies.

And sure Bohs are the best side in the history of the league according to Alan Cawley and they can only manage 4th place!
    If Alan Cawley says it it must be true. How can you expect Bohs to kick on when Rovers sign all the young players they bring through sure SRFC title winners = robbed Dundalk + Bohs players......

Good point for Rovers in the end with 10 men. I think Bohs should have pressed the advantage better but in the end they were hanging on a bit. Gift wrapped points from Bohs to their derby rivals. Id hoped that Rovers would nab a winner but all considered they've dropped 2 in a game they probably should have won.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 18/10/2021 at 8:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    You’re now 23 ahead of Bohs, 1 win in their last 6. If only it wasn’t for that bad start.

At least they got another player of the month to keep them happy I suppose.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Or else they're a basket case of a club who've made several bad signings (keeper in particular costing them lots of points) which led them to sack their manager and replace him with the guy they sacked last year.

In that case, one of your main title rivals imploding would make for an easier league, not a harder one.

Ah stu it wasn't a completely serious response to Nesta's little windup.

But just to entertain you, I don't agree with the bit in bold. Not when the team in question are capable any on given day of playing to the best of their ability. Dundalk played just fine in their games against us even if they gifted a few others points and took themselves out of contention. Either way, the point was that a team as strong as Dundalk struggling in the league, regardless of the reasons, points to a decent amount of strength around them. Pats are a far better side this season that in the past several. Bohs are lauded and widely regarded as a great side and they are in 4th. Sligo have a good 11. Even Longford were hard to beat and really should have gotten more points on the board. Dundalk had 0 competition when they went on their run of league wins outside of Maguire's Cork. And they had 1 derby in half of those league winning season, against Drogs who finished dead last in two of them. They were a great side but they won very poor leagues. Obviously.

I'll change my tune when Derry win the league next year because it will clearly be a poor standard again at that point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    Thought O'Neill was a groin injury?
    He was concussed by a head butt in the back of his head during first ( wasn’t intentional but was reckless by Bohs player and merited at least a yellow but nothing given ) O’Neill won the ball cleanly and Bohs player had no chance of winning it therefore reckless

As for tonight as already said should of won but didn’t …. Aidamo had 3 great opportunities but couldn’t finish…. Still for a 18 yr old he’s something else and most likely next one to go for a massive fee… as for the hipsters , or whatever they’re calling themselves these days
    as usual they raise their game against us ; if only they could perform constantly like that they might get somewhere , must be so annoying for their fans …. Lack of away fans was strange…. When Gannon and Hoare provided the assist for goal the silence reminded of when John Atyeo equalised for England in 90th minute in World Cup qualifier in 1957
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 18/10/2021 at 8:57 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I know people love multiquotes so....

Yup very true, Dundalk fans especially over the last while would agree.

Not wierd, very frustrating! The mess at Dundalk has little to do with the general standard for this league season. Incredible level of self destruction when a fraction of the budget with some competence at board level could have us in the title mix.

No!

Sure its always harder for Rovers than anyone else being the only team that everyone wants to beat!

Seanie, refs, pitches and crisp packets were all against us so 2017 was an impossible task. It was a blip, victims of financial doping...

Thats true, more than one point though no? Signing Mannus alone closed the gap. Cant win leagues without a proper keeper.

Ah yes the derbies.

If Alan Cawley says it it must be true. How can you expect Bohs to kick on when Rovers sign all the young players they bring through sure SRFC title winners = robbed Dundalk + Bohs players......

Good point for Rovers in the end with 10 men. I think Bohs should have pressed the advantage better but in the end they were hanging on a bit. Gift wrapped points from Bohs to their derby rivals. Id hoped that Rovers would nab a winner but all considered they've dropped 2 in a game they probably should have won.
    It can't be just Mannus if it's Dundalk and Bohs players we've robbed to win the league last year and hopefully this!

He was a big part of it for sure but there were other elements. Your own implosion helped of course but I think we'd overtaken you towards the end of the 2019 season before you really started to fall apart. That's football though. As one club fades another will rise. And as one club rises, other clubs will disparage the league as a whole until it's their turn to rise. Etc etc etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Really disappointing to throw a win away with a howler from the keeper like that.

But I suppose he was only brought in at the last minute and was very rusty, didn't have much to do at all up to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    It can't be just Mannus if it's Dundalk and Bohs players we've robbed to win the league last year and hopefully this!

He was a big part of it for sure but there were other elements. Your own implosion helped of course but I think we'd overtaken you towards the end of the 2019 season before you really started to fall apart. That's football though. As one club fades another will rise. And as one club rises, other clubs will disparage the league as a whole until it's their turn to rise. Etc etc etc.
    Agree , always felt Duns didn’t ‘win’ league in 2019 but we ‘lost’ due to 10 game period when McEneff was injured and our early lead was hauled in and overtaken…. Once he came back we hit our straps again and it was clear in the cup final ( even though went to penos) that we had overtaken Duns and that was shown last season and of course this year and the meltdown just speeded up the inevitable …. now question is who is going to take our crown and when

Ps… the above doesn’t factor in the natural order that proves era after era that Rovers always come to the fore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
    Really disappointing to throw a win away with a howler from the keeper like that.

But I suppose he was only brought in at the last minute and was very rusty, didn't have much to do at all up to that.
    I’d be more disappointed at letting a ten man team dominate the second half and whilst both sides had chances we had a number of clear ones so you were lucky to hold on , so in fairness the whole team should accept responsibility and not blame the keeper ( albeit it was awful but he did make a number of excellent saves late on)

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Either way, the point was that a team as strong as Dundalk struggling in the league, regardless of the reasons, points to a decent amount of strength around them.
    I don't think that necessarily follows. It certainly could point to that, but it could also point to Dundalk being a mess who, for whatever reason, are only capable of producing on any given day, as you say. Bohs have gone backwards this year, Sligo have some decent young players but have been in freefall since the summer break yet are still third. Pat's have improved a lot but Pat's fans will probably say they've been too inconsistent to really launch a proper title challenge. And even Rovers aren't as good as they were last year; I think most Rovers fans acknowledge they've not really replaced Byrne and McEneff.

I know every year is either the best standard ever or the worst standard ever, so I won't go to extremes on this, but I don't see how it can be a stronger league (ie harder to win) than last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    You’re now 23 ahead of Bohs, 1 win in their last 6. If only it wasn’t for that bad start.

At least they got another player of the month to keep them happy I suppose.
    They have a broad definition of success at bohs. Just as well for the bluffer Long played off the park by 10 men and clueless what to do about it. 3 more years on his contract

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast