Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Qatar - Tuesday, 12th October 2021 - Friendly

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm still not sure we should be beating Luxembourg easily. Serbia won there 0-1 last week, 68th minute goal. Not winning will be disappointing alright, but a professional hard fought 1-0 would do me just fine.

Agree 100%, being able to grind out a win is hugely important. In some ways a dogged 0-1 win might be to our advantage.

There's an obvious concern now regarding who can step up to the mark if Robinson is unavailable but by the same token good to have someone who has set the bar high for others to try to match.
    Last edited by zero; 13/10/2021 at 3:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Jaysus.

I have to say, one thing which struck me from watching that match is that I think there's still an imbalance in the ratings across confederations. And it's hard to get that right as inter-confed games are relatively rare. Eloratings has us and Qatar within 12 points of each other (which is negligible), although we caught up 30 points on them yesterday. But the group suggests they're probably little better than Luxembourg, who are 250 points below us.

All part of what makes yesterday hard to analyse. But it was fun to watch!
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 13/10/2021 at 1:30 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Are those figures accurate or illustratory estimates?

You probably had similar at the start of the first McCarthy reign. Senior players like Aldridge, Houghton, Bonner and McGrath were still involved, but others like Given, Moore, O'Neill, Daish, Harte, Farrelly, Fleming, etc etc were being given chances.

Not all of them made it - in the end of the day only 11 can play - and some of this squad will fall away too. But I've likened this transition to the start of the McCarthy reign before here - albeit we don't know if this one will be successful or not.

The last few days have been encouraging, but we've a lot of L1 players still and if such a team is rolling over sides, then you have to ask big questions of the opposition.

Still, onwards to next month with a bit more optimism than before
    The 55 is accurate in terms of currently active internationals. The 95 is my own personal list and includes guys who are in the conversation like Coventry, Kilkenny, Ronan, Gallagher along with the likes of Taylor, Smodzic, Keane who have received call ups or were in provisional squads but not appeared yet...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I feel cautiously optimistic after that. Qatar are ****e, but we've been losing to such teams recently and were never great at putting them to the sword. Sterner tests await, and I feel like the league table - which sees us 1 point behind Luxembourg albeit with much better goal difference hinting at some bad luck - is still the litmus test Kenny is failing. The game against Luxembourg next window will be critical in assessing whether Kenny has really found his feet.

I liked Ogbene yesterday. Some technical deficiencies, but his movement and pace are a big advantage. He is the only right forward we've played other than Robinson that I can recall being much of a goal threat from that position. And Robinson is happy centrally or on the left, as I understand it.

Hendrick - a player I've defended here from some pretty savage attacks - had a great game, full of energy, probing passes and offering some goal threat himself.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ltfc_2004 View Post
    Previous campaigns Azerbaijan away would have danger written all over it and you could imagine us escaping with a late McGeady/McClean winner after huffing and puffing for 90 minutes with a few close scares on our goal.
    Such perfection in a post is a rare thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I didn't say we were relying on them. I said we had a lot, and we do. Bazunu, McClean, Arter, Ogbene, Parrott, Collins, Horgan, Keane - a third of the squad. That's a lot. Only Keane didn't play in the two games.
    yes, but if they are not in the team then they are not influencing the result where we are "rolling over" the opposition.
    we did it with vast majority of our players coming from higher than L1

The last few days have been encouraging, but we've a lot of L1 players still and if such a team is rolling over sides, then you have to ask big questions of the opposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    But they were in the team - five of the 15 players who played in Azerbaijan were third tier. 4 of 13 if you want to discount 90th minute subs. Either way, around one third of the players.

So it is correct to say that we have a team with a lot of L1 players in it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I feel cautiously optimistic after that. Qatar are ****e, but we've been losing to such teams recently and were never great at putting them to the sword. Sterner tests await, and I feel like the league table - which sees us 1 point behind Luxembourg albeit with much better goal difference hinting at some bad luck - is still the litmus test Kenny is failing. The game against Luxembourg next window will be critical in assessing whether Kenny has really found his feet.

I liked Ogbene yesterday. Some technical deficiencies, but his movement and pace are a big advantage. He is the only right forward we've played other than Robinson that I can recall being much of a goal threat from that position. And Robinson is happy centrally or on the left, as I understand it.

Hendrick - a player I've defended here from some pretty savage attacks - had a great game, full of energy, probing passes and offering some goal threat himself.
    Hendrick and many Newcastle Players may soon be needing new clubs. it will be interesting to see how many of them find some form.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Was that Qatars strongest team ?
    I read somewhere that they had their strongest team out in their previous game v Portugal.
    Regardless of the current merits of Azerbajan and Qatar, fans usually sense when something clicks in a team. However, the next two games will be the real deal and the measure of the campaign.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Qatar are not a team of builders and plumbers, they are the current Asian Champions. What the hell have we ever won? Yeah they looked terrible last night but how much of that was down to how aggressive we were from the start?

I think the last 2 games were brilliant. We've been miserable to watch for so long. Yes we need to build on it in the next window, but if you didnt enjoy these 2 games Im not sure why you even watch the Ireland team.
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 13/10/2021 at 5:34 PM.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Hendrick and many Newcastle Players may soon be needing new clubs. it will be interesting to see how many of them find some form.
    Gonna be interesting to see where Hendrick ends up. He's got two and a half years left on a 40k a week contract. No team is going to cover that, whether it's on loan or a transfer so Newcastle will probably need to cover half his wages if they want him out.

Clark is on 35k a week and only has a year and a half left on his contract.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    What the hell have we ever won?.
    Ahem, we are the reigning Icelandic Triangular tournament and Carling Nation's cup champions.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    They're Asian champions alright, but they're not exactly setting this group alight, even allowing for no home games in it. Narrow neutral wins against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, a draw away to Luxembourg, and easily beaten three times by Serbia/Portugal. They've Serbia and Azerbaijan as their last two games, both away.

I don't know was it a surprise that they won the Asian Cup or what. They're the number 6 ranked team in Asia at the moment, which means they'd be struggling to make it to the World Cup ordinarily, and be making up the numbers at it if they got there. But probably their form in the group this year is a better indicator of how good they are. And they seem to be not great, which is how you'd view last night's game by any objective view too
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 13/10/2021 at 6:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    No they arent great, but we havent been either and we drew with them a few months ago. My point is that there is clear progress being made and the last two games have been as enjoyable as I can remember in years regardless of the opposition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Oh for sure; I made that point during the game alright.

I was surprised at how bad they were all things considered. They had even seemed vaguely handy earlier in the year in the 1-1 draw. I think some of that was us playing better but the basic errors were their fault

But recent improvements set the Portugal game up nicely. So watch as we get brought down to earth with a 4-1 defeat of course...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Oh for sure; I made that point during the game alright.

I was surprised at how bad they were all things considered. They had even seemed vaguely handy earlier in the year in the 1-1 draw. I think some of that was us playing better but the basic errors were their fault

But recent improvements set the Portugal game up nicely. So watch as we get brought down to earth with a 4-1 defeat of course...
    Haha probably. God I hope not though. I was in Portugal 2 weeks ago with all the wifes family and they were tormenting me about Ronaldos 2 goals

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Gonna be interesting to see where Hendrick ends up. He's got two and a half years left on a 40k a week contract. No team is going to cover that, whether it's on loan or a transfer so Newcastle will probably need to cover half his wages if they want him out.

Clark is on 35k a week and only has a year and a half left on his contract.
    Great Money = = Pity I am passed my peak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    We may well lose to Portugal, but I don’t think they’ll hammer us. I think we have a chance of getting a point. Luxembourg away I’d be cautiously optimistic that we can win. Its been a long road, but I think the team is starting to look like it’s turned a corner. The recent emergence of Robinson as a serious goal threat has played no small part in that.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Probably on Portugal, but we have to remember it's only a month since Serbia battered us in Lansdowne and we were blessed not to lose by 3 or 4.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast