Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Qatar - Tuesday, 12th October 2021 - Friendly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Quite a sentiment shift from the previous round of games but so pleasing to see us play confident, positive (and dare I say well-coached football), and dominate a team like that.

Amazing to think posts like this are less than a month old.
    As the author of that post, I’m happy to be consuming a large slice of humble pie. Just didn’t see that improvement coming, I do suspect that the new found flexibility, formation and coherence owes a lot to Barry. Bit if he was Kenny’s pick as coach, then that was a genius addition to the team.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    only one L1 player started last night. three last saturday including Bazunu who is obviously on loan. we are not remotely relying on L1 players
    I didn't say we were relying on them. I said we had a lot, and we do. Bazunu, McClean, Arter, Ogbene, Parrott, Collins, Horgan, Keane - a third of the squad. That's a lot. Only Keane didn't play in the two games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Numerous comments about Qatar being poor. Bear in mind we were not at full strength, we fielded a team littered with players struggling at club level, gave two players their starting debuts, and another two starters are novices at this level (McGrath, Omobamidele). In the context of where we have been, where we are, and where we can potentially go, it’s all very pleasing and encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    As the author of that post, I’m happy to be consuming a large slice of humble pie.
    Fair play.

Just didn’t see that improvement coming, I do suspect that the new found flexibility, formation and coherence owes a lot to Barry. Bit if he was Kenny’s pick as coach, then that was a genius addition to the team.
    Barry has been around since the start of WC qualification campaign. I think improvement could be seen with the Andorra/ Hungary training camp games so maybe Barry's input of having more time to work with the players began to show from there. But let's not dilute Kenny's input, he was appointed to the job on his own merits.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    As the author of that post, I’m happy to be consuming a large slice of humble pie. Just didn’t see that improvement coming, I do suspect that the new found flexibility, formation and coherence owes a lot to Barry. Bit if he was Kenny’s pick as coach, then that was a genius addition to the team.
    Fair play, great to see posts like that. The forum has been a great read over the last month or so.
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Parrott, as Stephen Kelly said, put a lot of pressure on the ball. He looked hungry.

It was surely a message to Aaron Connolly by Kenny and Parrott drove that message home. He has work to do. It looks like the penny has dropped for Parrott and that he's on the right path now for his fulfilling more of his potential.

Agree on Collins. My God. He is one of those Rolls Royce centre halves. Moves along the ground with ease. Passes and controls the ball with more ease.

Good point also by centre mid on the players to come back. McCarthy, Hendrick and Cullen will be a nice conundrum in the middle. Coleman might force Doherty to right full.

I like McGrath a lot. He's so busy and tidy. Ogbene can improve. Robinson is arriving. Parrott can grow. Knight had the bit between the teeth when he came in.

Qatar were dirt but we didn't give them a chance. And the squad feels so much better than it did a few months ago.

We need to beat Luxembourg now to cement this.
    Agree with all of this.

Connolly: exactly what I was thinking.

Collins: Kingdom & I saw him in the U16 Euros a few years ago. His dad was sitting in front of us. We both agreed we had rarely seen such a promising young player. That said, we were also really impressed by his partner that day, Ledwidge, who's now a sub at Shels

We do need to beat Luxembourg too though and be competitive against Portugal, otherwise the doubts will return. It'd be great to start the next campaign chomping at the bit.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    If we beat Luxembourg next month and have a decent performance against Portugal I think he'll get a new contract, especially considering the lack of obvious alternatives out there
    It as much depends on the Luxembourg v Azerbaijan game as our game v Portugal.

Beating Luxembourg is the bare minimum, but even if he does and it's not good enough to finish 3rd, it's hard to justify a new deal on the basis of finishing fourth in a three horse race.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    The final position is irrelevant imho. We can't change the bad results from earlier. It's the more recent performances - and the public mood - that'll decide his future.

The initial Kenny mission statement is only now beginning to look like it's starting to go somewhere. The fans are behind it, the broader public seems to be behind it, we have a new generation of players popular among the public and admired. I think the last 2 games, and Portugal away, have swung the pendulum to SK's side. I think things need to go badly wrong again for him to be under threat now.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    It was really nice to watch Ireland batter a team over 90 minutes, everyone played well and looked up for it. There seems to be a good spirit in the camp and winning is a good mentality to have. Azerbaijan and Qatar were poor but you can only beat what's in front of you.

Previous campaigns Azerbaijan away would have danger written all over it and you could imagine us escaping with a late McGeady/McClean winner after huffing and puffing for 90 minutes with a few close scares on our goal.

There is a real energy and enthusiasm for Kenny and the team. Portugal will be a sell out and a lot depends on the next Nations League Group to keep momentum building. I expect the FAI to try and capitalise with a few high profile friendlies and an old favourite like Oman lol

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    It was absolutely brilliant! in relation to Qatar you can only beat what put infront of you
    Is this real? Is this our new team?, will we give Portugal a go and the beat Luxemburg easily like we should be doing. if so I may owe Stephen Kenny quite the apology!, time will tell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Just on Collins. Would have been nice to see more of him to weigh up the alternative as there is unease in Duffy’s body shape and touch when on the ball (those sweep cross field passes aside). But liked the way we used Duffy's aerial threat last night. He was very advanced for the throw-in that led to the first goal, and moved up in open play to play alongside Robinson as striker for the third.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    In a real "where are they now?" moment, this is on the42's review of the game: https://www.the42.ie/ireland-qatar-3-5572509-Oct2021/
    Not all Irish starlets at Liverpool make it at Irish senior level – the Qatar physio at tonight’s game, Richie Partridge, is testament to that fact – but tonight Caoimhin Kelleher did make that leap, though it took 15 minutes for him to have his first touch and realise it. Such was the extent of Ireland’s early dominance.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Was that Qatars strongest team ?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'm still not sure we should be beating Luxembourg easily. Serbia won there 0-1 last week, 68th minute goal. Not winning will be disappointing alright, but a professional hard fought 1-0 would do me just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    do your research
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm still not sure we should be beating Luxembourg easily. Serbia won there 0-1 last week, 68th minute goal. Not winning will be disappointing alright, but a professional hard fought 1-0 would do me just fine.
    I think that is because our expectations have dropped so low, but we really should be beating them handily. The place is like a large IFSC

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Wiki says there was no-one of any real note who'd been called up in the past twelve months but wasn't in the squad anyway.

The keeper wasn't first choice (but didn't do much wrong - beaten by a penalty, two deflections, and a header from five yards) and one or two other players were rotated in it seems, but in general it was an experienced squad. Their front two have 55 international goals between them for example.

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I would be keen to keep the blue jersey as our permanent away jersey

I though it was excellent

Any takers? I haven't liked the white since USA 94

28. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I would be keen to keep the blue jersey as our permanent away jersey

I though it was excellent

Any takers? I haven't liked the white since USA 94
    I haven't liked it since I started drinking more Guinness than lager.

30. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Blue (not green) is actually the national colour of Ireland
    So you know Ireland's national colour might not be green, right? (thejournal.ie)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I thought the keeper's jersey looked well actually. Modern keeper jerseys are awful bland rubbish.

Reminds me to start digging up a few historic jerseys to run the next Ireland's Best tournament next month.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast