Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Qatar - Tuesday, 12th October 2021 - Friendly

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Isn't nice to have a performance like that? After all the struggles, the pressure building with every game without a win. The shakles came off tonight and it was an excellent display. Fairly sure Kelleher didn't have a single save? Any chances they nearly had were blocked by defenders. And the future looks so bright there, Omobamidele, Collins, O'Shea all with a good decade or more ahead of them in the team, backed by a couple of potentially world class keepers.

A forward is finally scoring goals, Jeff Hendrick looks like a footballer again. Jamie McGrath has been exceptional in his opportunities. If another midfielder or two comes through and Idah, Parrot or Connolly become the player we hope they can be the next decade could be very exciting.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    We've got decent options in almoat every position now. Coleman, McCarthy, Brady all hopefully back for the next campaign.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Most of Kelleher's touches were about ten yards outside the box. Slight pity - as a keeper, I hate those games. We didn't learn anything about his ability.

Would have liked to have seen Collins come on for longer. But that's a minor quibble.

That's an unexpectedly satisfying four days. Yes, the opposition was **** and we can't expect this'll translate to a decent performance against a better team (ie Portugal). But let's take it and move on in better form than this time last week

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Thought parrott did great when cam on. Got involved came central went wide at right times. Showed that lovely footballing ability he has . Collins is a proper footballer, burnley are going to make some serious profit off him in a few seasons

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Collins shortish but outstanding senior debut,alert and sure footed and won an important header in the box.

Saw him playing underage at Cherry Orchard,limousine of a player.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Thought parrott did great when cam on. Got involved came central went wide at right times. Showed that lovely footballing ability he has . Collins is a proper footballer, burnley are going to make some serious profit off him in a few seasons
    Parrott, as Stephen Kelly said, put a lot of pressure on the ball. He looked hungry.

It was surely a message to Aaron Connolly by Kenny and Parrott drove that message home. He has work to do. It looks like the penny has dropped for Parrott and that he's on the right path now for his fulfilling more of his potential.

Agree on Collins. My God. He is one of those Rolls Royce centre halves. Moves along the ground with ease. Passes and controls the ball with more ease.

Good point also by centre mid on the players to come back. McCarthy, Hendrick and Cullen will be a nice conundrum in the middle. Coleman might force Doherty to right full.

I like McGrath a lot. He's so busy and tidy. Ogbene can improve. Robinson is arriving. Parrott can grow. Knight had the bit between the teeth when he came in.

Qatar were dirt but we didn't give them a chance. And the squad feels so much better than it did a few months ago.

We need to beat Luxembourg now to cement this.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Collins shortish but outstanding senior debut,alert and sure footed and won an important header in the box.

Saw him playing underage at Cherry Orchard,limousine of a player.
    Jinxed me. Did you see his pass through the lines at the end? An angled ball to the left on his right leg to one of the midfielders. I didn't even see on telly it was on and I don't even know who got the ball it was done so fast. Intriguing prospect.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Liked the shape mcgrath really droped in to help the midfield centrally. Compared to Azerbaijan at home where connolly and poor parrott was basically stuck out on the touchline s the shape helped us connect the thirds .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I have was in the East stand lower rather than my usual spot in the East upper, and I don't feel I got as good a feel for the game at the lower level, but my god.

I've been a critic of Kenny, but we tore those boys apart tonight. That's the most dominant Irish performance I can ever remember. Really impressive stuff. They never looked like laying a glove on us. For our part the movement was excellent, and the passing was really crisp.

Qatar did well to keep it down to just the 4.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    you can finally feel something come together with this team

I dont expect to beat Portugal but would love to turn Luxembourg over

There's about 8 really top teams in Europe.. France, Italy, Germany, England, Spain, Belguim, Portugal, maybe Holland.. another 4-5 next tier, Switzerland, Denmark etc.. but after that, I think we're not far away.. would I be scared of Finland, Scotland, Sweden, Bosnia? nope.. next April's Nations League games cant come fast enough in my opinion..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    There are some decent sides in Asia, particularly South Korea and Japan.

Looking at Qatar’s Asia Cup win. They won their group, winning all 3 games, scoring 10 and conceding none. Following that, they beat Iraq 1-0, then they beat South Korea 1-0, UAE who knocked out Australia in the quarter final were beaten 4-0 by Qatar in the semi final and they beat Japan 3-1 in the final. Overall across the 7 games, 19 scored, 1 conceded.

They also played in the Gold Cup (CONCECAF’s version of the Euros) and they reached the semi final before losing to eventual winners USA 1-0.

We made them look shockingly poor. Plenty of chances and it really should have been more than 4.

Two important games coming up, but it certainly feels now that it would be incredibly harsh to pull the plug on the Kenny project without giving him the next campaign.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    Been at all 3 games back in Lansdowne. It’s so great to be back. The atmosphere in the Serbia game was superb. Tonight was incredible for a friendly. I think a sold out 25,000 feels very different to 30,000 in a full capacity Stadium. Or else maybe it’s just the atmosphere in the south stand and their relationship with the current team but it’s the best it’s been, bar nights like the win against Germany.

A lot of good performances tonight. Obviously Robinson. Jeff Hendrick had his best performance for ireland in at least 5 years. Shane Duffy was excellent at both ends. Omobamidele looks like he’s got 50 caps already. Doherty and Stevens looked comfortable on the flanks. McGrath had a good game and Ogbene’s directness is unique within the squad. Good cameos from all the subs. When you the players who were rested (Bazunu, Idah, McClean, Horgan) and the injured (Coleman, Cullen, O’Shea, McCarthy), the suspended (Browne, Molumby) the unpicked (Randolph, Clark, Williams, Brady, Byrne, Scully) and the unused (Connolly, Scales, Keane, Travers) - the squad is the deepest it’s been in living memory...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Been at all 3 games back in Lansdowne. It’s so great to be back. The atmosphere in the Serbia game was superb. Tonight was incredible for a friendly. I think a sold out 25,000 feels very different to 30,000 in a full capacity Stadium. Or else maybe it’s just the atmosphere in the south stand and their relationship with the current team but it’s the best it’s been, bar nights like the win against Germany.

A lot of good performances tonight. Obviously Robinson. Jeff Hendrick had his best performance for ireland in at least 5 years. Shane Duffy was excellent at both ends. Omobamidele looks like he’s got 50 caps already. Doherty and Stevens looked comfortable on the flanks. McGrath had a good game and Ogbene’s directness is unique within the squad. Good cameos from all the subs. When you the players who were rested (Bazunu, Idah, McClean, Horgan) and the injured (Coleman, Cullen, O’Shea, McCarthy), the suspended (Browne, Molumby) the unpicked (Randolph, Clark, Williams, Brady, Byrne, Scully) and the unused (Connolly, Scales, Keane, Travers) - the squad is the deepest it’s been in living memory...
    I think you’re getting excited here.
    In living memory? Unless you’re 4 years of age.
    It’s the deepest it’s been since Kenny took over maybe.
    In 2002 we had far stronger options
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    The most notable thing about the Qatar game for me was the attitude right from the start and they kept it up all the way through. We've played plenty of crap teams over the years and often played down to the standard of the opposition. How often have we complained that friendlies lacked any sort of energy.

The players were fully engaged from the 1st whistle and hammered a poor side. It's been a long time under any manager that we've done that.

Whatever some people think about Kenny I think it's very obvious that the players are fully behind him and believe in what he's trying to do. I absolutely think we've turned a corner in the last week. There are clear signs of progress now with a young squad. If we beat Luxembourg next month and have a decent performance against Portugal I think he'll get a new contract, especially considering the lack of obvious alternatives out there

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I think you’re getting excited here.
    In living memory? Unless you’re 4 years of age.
    It’s the deepest it’s been since Kenny took over maybe.
    In 2002 we had far stronger options
    I don’t think you understood what I meant Fiach. Not the best but the deepest. You’ve got 95 players who could legitimately be called up for a game. You’ve got 55 active players who are internationals and another dozen who have been involved in squads but not capped...

I don’t think we’ve ever had the quantity in that respect

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Don't want to get too excited after a Qatar game, but that was very, very enjoyable and good to watch. Good to see the intent and agression from the team - we've struggled to find that aggressive, killer streak against teams like that at times in the past, even when our squad was full of established, high profile players.

Portugal, I'll take a good performance. Lux, if we win it will be good proof of progress. Anything less and I'll be back to my now semi-usual state of Kenny-induced bafflement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quite a sentiment shift from the previous round of games but so pleasing to see us play confident, positive (and dare I say well-coached football), and dominate a team like that.

Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    There would be some rational principle underpinning selection (form, experience, ability and potential), not just a preference for players he had previously coached. There’d be a coherent tactical plan for games, not just naive application of a so-called philosophy and a largely inflexible formation, unsuited to the talent available. There would be a realisation that results matter and falling down the rankings whilst we “learn” to play the Kenny way is leading us to oblivion. And there would be honesty, humility and intelligibility from a coach who knows what he is doing and is not on a deranged and disastrous ego trip and in total denial about the shambles he has created.
    I’d take that as a step forward.
    Amazing to think posts like this are less than a month old.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I don’t think you understood what I meant Fiach. Not the best but the deepest. You’ve got 95 players who could legitimately be called up for a game. You’ve got 55 active players who are internationals and another dozen who have been involved in squads but not capped...

I don’t think we’ve ever had the quantity in that respect
    Are those figures accurate or illustratory estimates?

You probably had similar at the start of the first McCarthy reign. Senior players like Aldridge, Houghton, Bonner and McGrath were still involved, but others like Given, Moore, O'Neill, Daish, Harte, Farrelly, Fleming, etc etc were being given chances.

Not all of them made it - in the end of the day only 11 can play - and some of this squad will fall away too. But I've likened this transition to the start of the McCarthy reign before here - albeit we don't know if this one will be successful or not.

The last few days have been encouraging, but we've a lot of L1 players still and if such a team is rolling over sides, then you have to ask big questions of the opposition.

Still, onwards to next month with a bit more optimism than before

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    cant get too carried away about last night as qatar were quite poor.
    however, we are beginning to look like a competent team with a bit of momentum now.
    really looking forward to the portugal game and a good performance will surely see SK into the next campaign.
    no one can doubt the very brave decisions SK has made over the last year or so. when things were going so poorly it would have been easier for him to go back to the old ways and players. new lads like Omobamidele, Knight, McGrath, O'Shea and Ogbene wouldnt have been integrated and we wouldn't have developed from were we have been 2018 to 2020. I thought the Luxembourg loss would be the final nail in SK coffin but he is now winning me around.
    the supporters who actually turn up are most obviously fully behind him and there is a bit of excitement around the team again.
    fair play to all involved

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The last few days have been encouraging, but we've a lot of L1 players still and if such a team is rolling over sides, then you have to ask big questions of the opposition.
    only one L1 player started last night. three last saturday including Bazunu who is obviously on loan. we are not remotely relying on L1 players

27. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast