Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-vaxxers

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

callum

I had no idea he is not planning to get vaccinated. I wouldn't go so far as to call him an anti-vaxxer (he's not spouting conspiracy theory nonsense), but it seems very strange for a guy that has caught Covid twice now, and doesn't seem to have any real reason for it, or none that he wants to go public with anyway.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ance-1.4692146

Robinson repeated the line about “personal choice” before adding “it is what it is”.

“That’s my choice at this moment in time.”

Some people might think that is unusual, given your second dose of Covid?

“Yeah of course, as I said, it’s obviously annoying that I’ve caught it twice but I haven’t been vaccinated. Further down the line I could change my mind and want to do it but at this moment in time I haven’t been vaccinated, no.”

Why not?

“I just haven’t, I just haven’t done it. I know, as you said, there are managers and people that will want you to do it which is right in their way, the way they think, but everyone has their choice and what they want to do. I wouldn’t force people to do it, it’s your choice and your body.”

When it was explained to Robinson that the vaccine would have given him an enormous statistical chance of avoiding infection the second time, and thus being available to play in Portugal, he repeated: “I know but as I said that was my choice, I haven’t been vaccinated. That’s where I’m at at the moment. Things might change where I want to get vaccinated, I want to do it, but at this moment in time I haven’t made that decision.”

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I had no idea he is not planning to get vaccinated. I wouldn't go so far as to call him an anti-vaxxer (he's not spouting conspiracy theory nonsense), but it seems very strange for a guy that has caught Covid twice now, and doesn't seem to have any real reason for it, or none that he wants to go public with anyway.

Fortunately people are allowed to choose freely what to do with their body. I have no desire to live in a Communist / Fascist State. I am vaccinated by the way but freely chose to do that myself. His body ~ His choice.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

I don't know if not spouting conspiracy theory nonsense publicly makes him not an anti-vaxxer. There was a report recently showing that only around 35% of Premier League players are vaccinated, and anti-vaxx theories abound in the dressing room it seems.

Jurgen Klopp has likened it to drink driving because anti-vaxx stances don't just impact on you, and he's entirely correct. It's an incredibly selfish mé-féin sort of attitude to take unless you have some sort of valid medical reason not to take a vaccine.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I don't know if not spouting conspiracy theory nonsense publicly makes him not an anti-vaxxer. There was a report recently showing that only around 35% of Premier League players are vaccinated, and anti-vaxx theories abound in the dressing room it seems.

Jurgen Klopp has likened it to drink driving because anti-vaxx stances don't just impact on you, and he's entirely correct. It's an incredibly selfish mé-féin sort of attitude to take unless you have some sort of valid medical reason not to take a vaccine.
    One would think that Premier League footballers can afford to get the Very Best Medical Advice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, it would appear.

The Mail gives the example of Newcastle keeper Karl Darlow, who was hospitalised with covid, lost two stone in weight and was out of shape for weeks afterwards (fortunately for him it was pre-season), but still Newcastle have less than half of their players vaccinated.

I think it's more likely that footballers are massive idiots.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I'm sure these footballers are heavily insured due to injuires etc. I wonder if there will be a change of attitude if insurance companies raise their premiums to unvaccinated players?
    Probably not though to multi millionaires.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, it would appear.

The Mail gives the example of Newcastle keeper Karl Darlow, who was hospitalised with covid, lost two stone in weight and was out of shape for weeks afterwards (fortunately for him it was pre-season), but still Newcastle have less than half of their players vaccinated.

I think it's more likely that footballers are massive idiots.
    And yet People choose to fanatically follow these Players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Yes - another reason why it's incredibly selfish to think that refusing to get a vaccine affects you and nobody else.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Its outrageous, he could kill someone
    he could also catch it for the 3rd time and give it to our other players who will then be unavailable for selection.
    He has stated that its a personal choice, so its not like a medical expert has advised him not to take it.
    the selfish pr**k has missed 8 out of the last 13 international matches ( I understand because of covid!)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Yes - another reason why it's incredibly selfish to think that refusing to get a vaccine affects you and nobody else.
    A person's private medical situation should be the preserve of each individual. I have no desire to live in a totalitarian Communist / fascist state.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Its outrageous, he could kill someone
    he could also catch it for the 3rd time and give it to our other players who will then be unavailable for selection.
    He has stated that its a personal choice, so its not like a medical expert has advised him not to take it.
    the selfish pr**k has missed 8 out of the last 13 international matches ( I understand because of covid!)
    The Irish management are free to pick him for squads or not to pick him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    A person's private medical situation should be the preserve of each individual. I have no desire to live in a totalitarian Communist / fascist state.
    Tell that to Typhoid Mary.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    That is incredibly selfish of you, when you consider that vaccine efficiency is dependent on a critical mass of people being vaccinated. It's not sufficient to say I'm vaccinated therefore I'm fine. Everyone becomes safer the more people are vaccinated.

But unfortunately you don't seem to have any sort of rational argument to back up your view (probably because there is none), so I suspect this conversation won't really be all that productive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    That's already the case, medical information is protected under GDPR. Robinson provided his status, it wasn't released without his consent.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    That is incredibly selfish of you, when you consider that vaccine efficiency is dependent on a critical mass of people being vaccinated. It's not sufficient to say I'm vaccinated therefore I'm fine. Everyone becomes safer the more people are vaccinated.

But unfortunately you don't seem to have any sort of rational argument to back up your view (probably because there is none), so I suspect this conversation won't really be all that productive.
    Only in a Communist / Fascist state would you force People to be vaccinated. Fortunately we do not live in such a state. You win the arguments for vaccination but in a free Country ~ People have the right to choose what to do with their own bodies. That’s almost the definition of a Free Country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    I'm not forcing anyone to be vaccinated.

I am saying it is profoundly stupid, ignorant, selfish, and dangerous for more people than just you to choose not to be vaccinated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Only in a Communist / Fascist state would you force People to be vaccinated. Fortunately we do not live in such a state. You win the arguments for vaccination but in a free Country ~ People have the right to choose what to do with their own bodies. That’s almost the definition of a Free Country.
    Thousands of children have the MMR vaccine administered every year, in countries all over the world, both capitalist and communist

Anyway, if you want to discuss Robinsons choice not to have the vaccine (which I don't agree with) that's ok, if you want to debate whether or not mandating the vaccine is a political issue, there's a current affairs forum for that
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I am saying it is profoundly stupid, ignorant, selfish, and dangerous for more people than just you to choose not to be vaccinated.
    I said that I was vaccinated but i do not believe people in a free country can be forced / coerced in to being vaccinated.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts

Id like to add that he is also endangering the opposition players, the ref , linesmen, the f**k hotel staff
    Im not saying he should be forced to get it , but he shouldn't be picked. How does he get into the country? he has no vaccine cert? how does he get into the hotel or into the restaurant?

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    I said that I was vaccinated but i do not believe people in a free country can be forced / coerced in to being vaccinated.
    And I am saying that it is profoundly stupid, ignorant, selfish, and dangerous for more people than just you (ie the person not taking the vaccine) to choose not to be vaccinated.

I have given reasons for my view (ie how vaccines work) whereas you haven't given any reason for yours.

Also - maybe suggest the anti-vaxx stuff is split off to Current Affairs at this stage?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast