Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-vaxxers

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Sure the Tyrone lads were flying fit after all the covid they had so maybe callum has a bit of red hand in him. As geysir says above he has had covid so his status is same as someone who has been vaccinated at present as in eating indoors etc so don't really see what all tge fuss is, especially as he has had covid twice.
    After catching covid Do u not still need one vaccine to be deemed vaccinated?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    If you've recovered from covid in the past six months, then for travel purposes that's as good as a negative PCR test or a vaccine cert.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Sure the Tyrone lads were flying fit after all the covid they had so maybe callum has a bit of red hand in him. As geysir says above he has had covid so his status is same as someone who has been vaccinated at present as in eating indoors etc so don't really see what all tge fuss is, especially as he has had covid twice.
    I thought you need to do that test though to prove a high level of antibodies in the blood? Because some peoples immunity dissipates much faster than others
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I really don't agree with his medical stance but he was subjected to a media pile on today. Claire Byrne and Joe Duffy were licking their lips. Duffy stated “that means he’s had Covid more times than he’s scored for Ireland”. Cheap.

He obviously hasn't been watching or listening to RTE over the last 18 months or else he'd have anticipated the backlash. Would have been better off had he kept his mouth shut.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I thought you need to do that test though to prove a high level of antibodies in the blood? Because some peoples immunity dissipates much faster than others
    I don't think so not in ireland anyway yiu just need to show u had a positive pcr within the last 6 months. The antibody levels are likely to be different between individuals regardless of weather they had covid or were vaccinated I'm not aware if there is a cut off point where they are considered too low. Also I guess its not easy to test t cell levels in the wider population to get a broader view of the likely immune response to covid infection

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    But I do think they should have to properly discuss their decision with, say, their GP or a medical professional.
    How though? As you said about the vaccine itself, getting them to talk to these people is very difficult from a practical point of view. How can they be forced/cajoled into it?

What, if anything, can be done if they simply refuse?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I don’t care if someone takes the vaccine or not, it’s that persons choice and they shouldn’t be bullied or victimized for not taking it, it’s his choice so respect it please and move on.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Oh I agree. I'm talking some sort of ideal world which doesn't exist.

The reality is it's quite hard to stop people making these silly decisions. And those backing him up are, if not quite "nearly as bad", then still pretty bad because it just normalises those sort of excuses ("My body, my choice") for others.

I'm not entirely sure what the best way of dealing with it is.

Edit - actually, I suppose your vaccination status is linked to your PPS number, as is other health info such as whether you've had a free eye test/dental clean in the past couple of years, etc. That may well be available to your GP, who could use it to ask you the question at a check-up. If even 15-20% of the unvaccinated can be brought around, then that's something.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 07/10/2021 at 9:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Fundamentally, until such time as COVID vaccinations are mandated by government for public health, people are entitled to not get vaccinated. Equally fundamentally, I am entitled to not employ them, not spend time with them, and deride them mercilessly for their stupidity. If they don't want to be called stupid, they can not do stupid things. That is also their choice.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 07/10/2021 at 2:42 PM.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    What if he contracts the virus again, and infects other members of the squad?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Afair, Jack Byrne did not do covid well, his recovery was prolonged so there are probably big doubts that such a person has developed anything resembling a good natural immunity. From the bits of info available, Callum was knocked back to some degree by his 2nd covid experience but recovered in good time and has reached match fitness levels. That’s a good sign and an indicator of a developed natural immunity. At the very least he has the similar protection from developing symptoms as a fully vaccinated person and likewise as a contagion threat.

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    What if he contracts the virus again, and infects other members of the squad?
    Other members of the squad can get vaccinated to prevent this.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Other members of the squad can get vaccinated to prevent this.
    Doesn't that run contrary to "personal choice"? It's a responsibility to your team mates, and management, physios, even the bus drivers and the staff of the hotels where you stay
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Doesn't that run contrary to "personal choice"? It's a responsibility to your team mates, and management, physios, even the bus drivers and the staff of the hotels where you stay
    That’s nonsense, if YOU don’t want to catch a virus then YOU can take steps to make sure YOU don’t get infected. It’s not Robinsons job to keep other players safe, it’s the individual players job to keep themselves safe. If the individual players don’t want to catch covid then they can get vaccinated and then they don’t have to worry.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Guys - apologies for back-seat modding here, but it's been asked a number of times on thread if can we take this to the covid thread in Current Affairs where there's plenty of people ready to prove nonsense talk like that wrong.

Please and thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    That’s nonsense, if YOU don’t want to catch a virus then YOU can take steps to make sure YOU don’t get infected. It’s not Robinsons job to keep other players safe, it’s the individual players job to keep themselves safe. If the individual players don’t want to catch covid then they can get vaccinated and then they don’t have to worry.
    Isn't society supposed to mean that we help each stay healthy?

society
    [səˈsʌɪɪti]
    NOUN
    the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Isn't society supposed to mean that we help each stay healthy?

society
    [səˈsʌɪɪti]
    NOUN
    the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.
    And by that it means do go out hurt, steal or kill someone. Robinson isn’t doing any of that so I don’t see what the problem is.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    The majority of people in hospital with covid right now are unvaccinated. These idiots are taking up hospital beds unnecessarily, and delaying medical treatment to other people. Do you think that's not a problem?

Unvaccinated people allow the virus to continue spreading and mutating, possibly developing into a strain that the vaccine doesn't cover you against. Do you think that's not a problem?

Robinson deserves every bit of scorn he's getting. As do the posters who are backing him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    The majority of people in hospital with covid right now are unvaccinated. These idiots are taking up hospital beds unnecessarily, and delaying medical treatment to other people. Do you think that's not a problem?

Unvaccinated people allow the virus to continue spreading and mutating, possibly developing into a strain that the vaccine doesn't cover you against. Do you think that's not a problem?

Robinson deserves every bit of scorn he's getting. As do the posters who are backing him.
    How many are in hospital beds exactly? More hospital beds can be set up if required.

That’s not going to happen, that’s just a conspiracy theory, if those at risk just take the shot all will be fine.

No he doesn’t, and I don’t think it’s anyone else’s business weather he takes it or not, if you are worried about him not being vaccinated then get yourself vaccinated today to solve the problem.

28. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts

Because he has to be scorned or backed- nothing else would make sense?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast