Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-vaxxers

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    Remember the time your team was missing players because of an outbreak of smallpox?

No? Because vaccines work.

No sympathy for those who refuse vaccines without good reason and no time for their whining about exclusion. Do your duty as a decent human being or F**k right off.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I suspect when his next contract is up this will be sorted. With the exception of star players, I would expect unvaccinated players will go unsigned or will take pay cuts if they want to maintain unvaccinated status.

All a bit disappointing really and I feel let down by his stance.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

I haven't read CR's reasons for not being vaxxed but if it's due to potential loss of performance I'd be somewhat sympathetic based on my own experience. And I'm a rabid pro-vax, pro-lockdown type.
    Makes no sense when you consider he's missed how many games for us, and couldn't start for how many games for club and country afterwards.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Remember the time your team was missing players because of an outbreak of smallpox?
    I'm think a study of IQ and reading age versus vaccine hesitancy would be illuminating. That means it would help us understand something, for the antivaxxers.

Smallpox was about 30% lethal, so an outbreak in your squad would probably have been a serious blow to World Cup qualification chances.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Interestingly, Delta Airlines have deducted an insurance premium from their staff wages who haven't been vaccinated. For me, this will be the one sector capable of forcing people to get vaccinated when they insert it into policies, life cover etc.
    I think there's two sectors there - insurance and airlines. People aren't going to like having to cancel a holiday at 48 hours' notice because they couldn't get a negative PCR test because, well, they suddenly found out they had covid.

Social media logarithms and general trust in societal authority are given as two common reasons for the increase in anti-vaxx sentiment. I think there's also an increasing self-centredness in society too (humans have always been selfish, but now we can be selfish and always get what we want, which wasn't the case before), so people increasingly can't appreciate that vaccine status isn't all about them; it impacts on others too.

I don't think you have to be stupid to be anti-vaxx (though it definitely helps). But if anti-vaxx sentiment is the symptom, then it's worth addressing the cause as well. Social media is a curse - conspiracy theories existed before the internet of course, but for example there was a survey of flat-earthers a while back and every one of them picked up their views on YouTube, and I'd say it's responsible for the growing belief in things of that sort (the fake moon landings, 9/11 conspiracies, and increasingly I'm inclined to put trans-genderism in there as well). But social media isn't going to go away and seems very reluctant to police itself. I've no real idea how to address the problem really.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 06/10/2021 at 1:18 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Thats right. No one is forcing him to do the right thing to protect, his friends, his colleagues and society as a whole. Myself and pineapple are just outlining that he is a selfish person!
    Yeah I don’t think I implied anything different re him being forced or not? In fact I didn’t reference either of your posts at all…?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Can we draw a line under this, please? Anyone who wants to discuss it further can move to that thread.
    I swear to god, the next post about vaccines gets carded.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I swear to god, the next post about vaccines gets carded.
    Apologies, will delete above if preferred.

Moving on, hopefully Cal can put in a big performance give our chances in these qualifiers a shot in the arm!

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Has it ever been cleared up as to whether the Tyrone Players were vaccinated for the All-Ireland Final ? Did they pull a fast one there and delay vaccinations until after the final was played ?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Tbf I think there is a distinction to be made between people going about how the vaccine is a Microsoft conspiracy (and lets throw Soros in there, he's always involved) and people who question the extent of state reach/over-reach.

And yeah, the annoying nutter and his nutter theories used to be confined to the corner of the village pub, but now they have a global audience for their shyte, and can form communities with like-minded nutters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It would give us a great boost, as well as providing the vital shot in the arm both Ireland and Robinson need.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 06/10/2021 at 2:31 PM. Reason: Damn: got there before me
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Tbf I think there is a distinction to be made between people going about how the vaccine is a Microsoft conspiracy (and lets throw Soros in there, he's always involved) and people who question the extent of state reach/over-reach.
    There is and there isn't.

They're different things, for sure, but I think in this case they're both arriving at the same conclusion (and I'd say sometimes the latter is used as a front for the former), so they're at least somewhat related. And is there State over-reach? I'm not sure there is. Vaccines aren't forced on anyone. If nothing else, it would be very difficult from a practical viewpoint to administer a vaccine to someone who simply didn't want it. But the State absolutely has a duty to the greater good of all its citizens, and if that means discriminating against people who haven't had vaccines (in Israel they're charging them for their covid treatment for example), then I think that's entirely reasonable.

If that's the case, and apropos of any real tangible argument to the contrary (and I didn't see any on the Callum Robinson thread that spawned this one), then arguably the idea of State over-reach is just another conspiracy theory.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What we really need is a defibrillator boost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    -Just taking these posts from another thread as directed, so I can respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Shocking witch hunt by some towards this player. I am double vaccinated and would encourage others to do the same. However I will fully support any individuals right to chose not to do so, regardless of their reasons. It is the most basic of human rights to chose what you do to your own body. Remove such rights and you will end up living in a totalitarian state, though we are all well on our way to one of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Someone hasn't remotely read the reasons why your vaccination status impacts society as a whole and not just the individual.
    I am well aware of that. However, people who chose not to do so should not be hung out. It is their choice and their right. You have no idea of the reasons why individuals make any of their life choices and they are under no obligation to explain themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I think your forgetting it doesn't just effect him. 5,000 of our people are dead. He is a selfish penis.. no-one is forcing him to get it
    No one is forcing him, but you along with many others are trying to shame him into doing so. Either you believe in human rights or you don't. Hundreds of people die from flu each year in Ireland. Do you believe all those who haven't had a flu jab are selfish too? Should they be questioned and ridculled too?

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I get the desire to move conversations about the vaccine generally to the off topic forums -- but if we're talking about Robinson's decision not to get vaccinated and the footballing implications of that specifically -- I think that should be fair game in this thread.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I get the desire to move conversations about the vaccine generally to the off topic forums -- but if we're talking about Robinson's decision not to get vaccinated and the footballing implications of that specifically -- I think that should be fair game in this thread.
    Yes, that's fine, but keep it to Robinson's choice, and its implications only
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Anyway, if you want to discuss Robinsons choice not to have the vaccine (which I don't agree with) that's ok, if you want to debate whether or not mandating the vaccine is a political issue, there's a current affairs forum for that

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There are no implications arising from Robinson's choice for this period in time. He has recovered from Covid and for the following 6 months he is officially recognised as having a similar health status as vaccinated folk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    I suppose the only implication is whether his performance is the same as pre covid. It's been known to knock the stuffing out of players (didn't Jack Byrne get a particularly nasty dose?) and they've not quite been the same afterwards.

But 3 goals in 10 league games so far this season is comparable with his last spell in the second tier in 2019/20 (3 in 16), so I guess he's still a fairly moderately-skilled forward who's not entirely sure where the goal is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    I don't really agree with that.

The more people that are vaccinated in society right now, the safer I am, even though I'm vaccinated. Unvaccinated people clog up hospital beds for example. They also help the virus to continue spreading and mutating, and maybe develop a new form that the vaccine doesn't cover (this was a fear with the Delta variant, I think). Helping the virus to spread obviously impacts those few people who for legitimate reasons can't receive the vaccine but who may be at high risk of covid.

Anti-vaxxers don't have to go on TV and make a broadcast to the nation. But I do think they should have to properly discuss their decision with, say, their GP or a medical professional. They certainly shouldn't think that they could hide behind something as selfish as "It's my choice and my body" and it is entirely right to call them out on that. Vaccination against a pandemic is a societal issue, not an individual issue. The bigger picture trumps individual rights here.

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I suppose the only implication is whether his performance is the same as pre covid. It's been known to knock the stuffing out of players (didn't Jack Byrne get a particularly nasty dose?) and they've not quite been the same afterwards.

But 3 goals in 10 league games so far this season is comparable with his last spell in the second tier in 2019/20 (3 in 16), so I guess he's still a fairly moderately-skilled forward who's not entirely sure where the goal is.
    Sure the Tyrone lads were flying fit after all the covid they had so maybe callum has a bit of red hand in him. As geysir says above he has had covid so his status is same as someone who has been vaccinated at present as in eating indoors etc so don't really see what all tge fuss is, especially as he has had covid twice.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast