Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-vaxxers

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    And I am saying that it is profoundly stupid, ignorant, selfish, and dangerous for more people than just you (ie the person not taking the vaccine) to choose not to be vaccinated.

I have given reasons for my view (ie how vaccines work) whereas you haven't given any reason for yours.

Also - maybe suggest the anti-vaxx stuff is split off to Current Affairs at this stage?
    The Irish management are certainly free ~ Not to pick him.

I would go so far as to say that ~ I am surprised that they did pick him. Wouldn’t it be just easier for everyone if they did not pick him ?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Yeah, I'm surprised he was selected, if it was known he's not vaccinated. After the impact that postive results (or false positives) have had on recent Irish squads, Kenny must be pretty unhappy about it.

Him getting a FIFA exemption for what are, despite our own investment in it, comparatively inconsequential sporting reasons, must stick in the craw of those who have had to quarantine and missed births/deaths etc.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    The hashtag #WeAreOne to Callum Robinson's left, right and front during yesterday's presser .....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    God forgive me to suggesting this, but if he had been good enough for England, does he misses 8 international matches for his stance?
    or does his agent actually administer the vaccine himself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

Anti-vaxxers

I'm just spinning this out of the Callum Robinson thread in the International section.

Robinson is not vaccinated, and doesn't plan to get vaccinated, despite already having COVID twice, and this is not unusual across EPL footballers by the sounds of it. Apart from the actual/potential footballing impacts in his particular case, it also sparked a more general discussion (which is better held here) on bodily autonomy, the reach of the state, and so on.

My own view is that nobody should be forced to be vaccinated, but they should also understand that their failure to get vaccinated may come with consequences, should a company/school/airline/state body/whoever decide that unvaccinated people are in some way persona non grata.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Yeah, I'm surprised he was selected, if it was known he's not vaccinated. After the impact that postive results (or false positives) have had on recent Irish squads, Kenny must be pretty unhappy about it.

Him getting a FIFA exemption for what are, despite our own investment in it, comparatively inconsequential sporting reasons, must stick in the craw of those who have had to quarantine and missed births/deaths etc.
    40% of the squad aren't vaccinated apparently, which isn't a shock as only 7 clubs in the EPL have 50% or more of their squad vaccinated.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    40% of the squad aren't vaccinated apparently, which isn't a shock as only 7 clubs in the EPL have 50% or more of their squad vaccinated.
    Wow! I knew they were thick but this is a new low

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    The anti-vax culture is stronger in England/UK where most of our footballers play. Their government leadership on the subject has been muddy at best.
    On the other hand, people would say Irish are more compliant. Who knows?

Personally, I got the vaccine but have no real issue with young, healthy, fit people not getting it.
    As long as they are accept they have a high chance of contracting covid and are happy to fight through it.
    I just hope those that get the virus don't suffer long term.
    And I also hope there are no side-effects to the vaccine. Time will tell!!!

The vulnerable are all jabbed.
    90% of over 16s in this country are jabbed.

Between vaccines and people who've had Covid and are now naturally immune, I think we've pretty much reached 'herd immunity'.
    Covid is here to stay. Yearly jabs will be part of everyone's lives now.

Let's move on.

I hope Robinson scores a hat-trick on Sat!!!
    Last edited by Fixer82; 06/10/2021 at 11:25 AM.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    In this case, he should have some form of immunity for some time. Maybe he will get it after a certain period of time lapses.
    Interestingly, Delta Airlines have deducted an insurance premium from their staff wages who haven't been vaccinated. For me, this will be the one sector capable of forcing people to get vaccinated when they insert it into policies, life cover etc.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    General anti-vaxxer thread opened in CA.

https://foot.ie/threads/270563-Anti-vaxxers

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Callum is fully compliant with health regulations around Covid. Fully recovered from Covid in the last 180 days is of the same standing as a person who is 7 or 14 days past their second vaccination. That's how it is in the EU re their digital cert. If he resided in the EU he would be entitled to the EU digital covid cert. He said he may change his opinion on vaccination later.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Wow! I knew they were thick but this is a new low
    Lucky for us Azerbaijan aren't on the red list like Montenegro. U21s had to name two squads and might end up going to Montenegro with a home based squad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I've been vaccinated twice. I run in local competitions for a London running club. My form, especially in training, was terrible for 2-3 weeks after each shot. I'm absolutely certain it was the effect of the vaccine. I record my runs on a social app called Strava. I even described a few of them as "still feeling very post-vaccine".

I haven't read CR's reasons for not being vaxxed but if it's due to potential loss of performance I'd be somewhat sympathetic based on my own experience. And I'm a rabid pro-vax, pro-lockdown type.

Also, not sure if I mentioned it here but 10 days or so after my second shot I actually started showing COVID symptoms and tested positive (my second time - also March 20). A couple of days before symptoms showed I met the Portuguese referee of the ENG v CZE game at Wembley the following night. All the match officials were going for a jog in Hyde Park in their green UEFA track suits. The ref was good fun actually. I asked him to award the Czechs 3 penalties and he said he'd do his best, that kind of thing.

Anyway, once positive I had to fill out my test & trace app and name recent contacts. I didn't name him but was thinking if I had all the England players might have had to quarantine or even pull out!

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Shocking witch hunt by some towards this player. I am double vaccinated and would encourage others to do the same. However I will fully support any individuals right to chose not to do so, regardless of their reasons. It is the most basic of human rights to chose what you do to your own body. Remove such rights and you will end up living in a totalitarian state, though we are all well on our way to one of those.

20. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Someone hasn't remotely read the reasons why your vaccination status impacts society as a whole and not just the individual.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Shocking witch hunt by some towards this player. I am double vaccinated and would encourage others to do the same. However I will fully support any individuals right to chose not to do so, regardless of their reasons. It is the most basic of human rights to chose what you do to your own body. Remove such rights and you will end up living in a totalitarian state, though we are all well on our way to one of those.
    I think your forgetting it doesn't just effect him. 5,000 of our people are dead. He is a selfish penis.. no-one is forcing him to get it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Callum’s body, Callum’s choice. I would be more concerned about him sticking something in the net for us than in his arm.

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Callum’s body, Callum’s choice. I would be more concerned about him sticking something in the net for us than in his arm.
    Thats right. No one is forcing him to do the right thing to protect, his friends, his colleagues and society as a whole. Myself and pineapple are just outlining that he is a selfish person!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    General anti-vaxxer thread opened in CA.

https://foot.ie/threads/270563-Anti-vaxxers
    Can we draw a line under this, please? Anyone who wants to discuss it further can move to that thread.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Fair enough! Let's hope he does score that hat trick!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast