Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Azerbaijan V Republic of Ireland - Sat, 9th October 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

Azerbaijan V Republic of Ireland - Sat, 9th October 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

See will Keane got a call up?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Haven't seen him play but he's playing as a 10 for Wigan who look to be playing 4-2-3-1. Not sure about this call up, but would love to be shocked by the lad actually playing decent. Still no Scully whose actually scoring at League One level but Ogbene and Horgan are named in the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Apparently Sheffield United tweeted that Hourihane and Egan would be in the squad, but left out Stevens and then deleted it? Could have been a mistake, I guess
    No Clark, despite being in the Newcastle team, no Scully, no Elbouzedi, no LOI representation, and former England underage striker Will Keane is called up after scoring four goals in ten games this season
    full details
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 03/10/2021 at 1:02 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Scully omission disappointing. Quite alarmed at Keane call up tbh.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Apparently Sheffield United tweeted that Stevens would not be in the squad, and then deleted it? No Clark, despite being in the Newcastle team, no Scully, no Elbouzedi, no LOI representation, and former England underage striker Will Keane is called up after scoring four goals in ten games this season
    full details
    Thats more like it tets in terms of starting a match thread.

8. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Aiden McGeady - who got two assists at the weekend for Sunderland - is presumably delighted at being dropped because League One wasn't a high enough level, and then we call up a 28-year-old forward scoring about 1 in 4 at that level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Quite alarmed at Keane call up tbh.
    I don't know but McClean moved to Wigan recently and putting two and two together ....

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Aiden McGeady - who got two assists at the weekend for Sunderland - is presumably delighted at being dropped because League One wasn't a high enough level, and then we call up a 28-year-old forward scoring about 1 in 4 at that level.
    It's the only real standout issue with the squad, clearly Clark isn't in his thoughts as we already know, nothing new from previous announcements really - bar Keane. It's another strange one, the narrative has always been about young lads and youth blah blah blah as greta would say, so this call up doesn't follow any logic or previous thought . It's just another strange decision from Kenny lacking consistency or normalcy. He's never struck me as one for making statements but I feel like this is. Is will Keane @ 28 really bothered like Kenny mused before about call ups
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Squad feels stronger this time around with the return of Knight. There are options in defence to cover the loss of Coleman and O'Shea, McGrath has shown he adds an option in midfield, Parrott should be improving with playing time and hopefully those recent goals can spur Connolly on a bit.
    Don't agree with the Keane call-up but he perhaps offers an aerial strength option we otherwise don't have in the forwards.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    From four years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    one day later... Will Keane targets World Cup spot with Ireland: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...land-slkc9w0gf

rest of the article is behind their paywall

It would be slightly bizarre if former Ireland player Michael Keane lined out for England against former England player Will Keane for Ireland!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Keane is an odd call up alright.

I suppose the logic is, he was always seen as having a high ceiling. He's had a couple of serious knee injuries at critical times in his career, but he's playing regular football now and seems to be starting to score fairly regularly too. At 28 he hasn't played a huge amount so he probably has at least 5 or 6 years left in him if he avoids another serious injury. I don't know a huge amount about his style of play, but if he's been identified as providing something the squad is lacking at the moment then it's probably no harm taking a look. He seems to be more of a central player so presumably his main rivals are Collins and Idah whereas Scully would be competing with a bit more depth in the wide forward positions.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I like this Will Keane selection, it's thinking outside the box and we just have to trust the process here.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I like this Will Keane selection, it's thinking outside the box and we just have to trust the process here.
    We can't score at all right now. He should be looking hard at any option. I'll judge the call-up on results. If he scores goals for us, nothing else will have mattered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I hadn't actually realised how many of our recent are in the third tier - McClean, Horgan, Bazunu, Parrott, Ogbene, O'Hara, Szmodmics, Curtis, O'Connor (fourth tier actually), plus the LoI guys (Burke, Mandriou, Talbot) and I wouldn't rate LoI on a par with League One. You could even argue the toss over where the SPL fits in all that.

It's a real sign of how far we've fallen, and in that regard, you can't really begrudge Keane his call up. We can't score and we do need all the options we can get.

But if all the above are in the squad, then there's a place for McGeady in my view. He drove me mad when we were half decent, but I don't think it's reasonable to tell him he's not at a high enough level while the others are all getting call ups.

I don't want Keane or McGeady or the others really to a mainstay of the squad. But beggars can't be choosers, and we definitely have the begging bowl out.

The Clark omission is baffling, especially as we played Serbia with three fit central defenders, all of whom started. Other than that, there's not a huge amount to be said about the squad. Don't really mind the likes of Randolph/Long getting phased out as they haven't really been getting regular game time for quite some time now.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 30/09/2021 at 3:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Agree 100% with this. It is a brave and admirable move from Kenny and surely, if nothing else, having the name "Keane" back in the squad will be a boon for players and fans alike?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    press conference with Kenny on YouTube, skip to 46 minutes for ten minutes of questions
    He says that Will Keane has been qualified for some time now, and he has spoken to the player a few times before this call up
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 30/09/2021 at 4:17 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Hogan and Maguire are playing at a higher level and have got goals in recent games. We’re not blessed with talent, but there is still no need to go trawling in the nether regions of English football for journeymen like Keane. Why are we cursed by managers who make perverse selections to prove they are more discerning than mere fans. It also plays into the ‘we have no players’ narrative and provides cover for abysmal results. Clark’s omission is irrational, and I agree that McGeady is the only third tier player with a scintilla of international quality. Kenny is a comedian and his backers are sounding increasingly like cult followers. Wake up, he’s leading us to a footballing Armageddon.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Agree 100% with this. It is a brave and admirable move from Kenny and surely, if nothing else, having the name "Keane" back in the squad will be a boon for players and fans alike?
    Took me a while to realise you're being sarcastic here
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Outside the box ? Or outside the radar ? What kind of thinking does it show?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Hogan's a good shout actually - almost exactly the same recent goalscoring record but a division up (17 in 59 v 17 in 64).

Maguire after one good season with Preston has struggled badly for goals. I don't know is he playing deeper or what's happening, but he's getting plenty of game time but 11 goals in 106 games over the last three seasons isn't great.

Not sure what to make of these two games. The last few games have felt a bit like the wheel on Winning Streak, with the ball popping in and out of the €250k and you end up with €10k instead. Going 1-0 down to Andorra - bad. Scoring 4 in 30 minutes - progress. 0-0 away against Hungary - progress (though Kelleher in particular was very busy). Portugal away - progress. Azerbaijan at home - woejus. Serbia at home - progress? Or just very lucky?

But these two are both winnable and I think the time has come that we have to start winning winnable games. The wheel is slowing down and it's going to rest in either the €250k or the €10k between this month and next. I think that'll tell us who should be in charge for the next campaign.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 30/09/2021 at 4:30 PM.

27. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast