Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Azerbaijan V Republic of Ireland - Sat, 9th October 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    3-4-3 I assume. I just don't get the Horgan pick. He has been okay on the counter for us when games open up. He is not good enough to pick teams apart. McGrath has seemed far more inventive to me. I would have rathered Stevens too but McClean was good v Serbia. Worryingly, McClean seemed very frustrated with the options Horgan provided him against Serbia. On top of that, we don't shout goals with that front three.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Horgan and MaClean should never be selected. Believing that either of them is at this level is more than a blind spot it’s delusional.

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    I don't think any front three would really shout goals in fairness.

The bench is Kelleher, Travers, Stevens, Hourihane, Parrott, N Collins, Christie, Arter, McGrath, J Collins, Ogbene and Connolly.

Stevens and maybe McGrath are the obvious ones who could have started. Other than that, I don't see anyone really improving the starting line-up.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

The bench is Kelleher, Travers, Stevens, Hourihane, Parrott, N Collins, Christie, Arter, McGrath, J Collins, Ogbene and Connolly.

Stevens and maybe McGrath are the obvious ones who could have started. Other than that, I don't see anyone really improving the starting line-up.
    McGrath would be the one for me but I would take Ogbene or Connolly over Horgan if McGrath were out of the equation. I hope I'm wrong but I can see Horgan flailing here and coming up with nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    confirmation of the lineup
    No real issues with it, apart from Horgan
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts

You don't think Aaron Connolly is a better player than Daryl Horgan?

I don't get the Horgan pick. I don't get the McClean pick. I don't get the 3-4-3 that may see us overrun in central midfield depending on what Azerbaijan are like. But then again I don't really get Kenny either.

That team and formation makes me feel like we're hoping for a bit of luck now, or just hoping that Azerbaijan are maybe, hopefully just as poor a team as their ranking and results suggests. But then that would then make our failure to beat them at home (and need for a late equaliser to nick a draw) even worse than it already looks.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 09/10/2021 at 4:12 PM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Knight is a bit of a surprise, unless he's injured?

No Keane is a way makes no sense. Why make a bit of a song and dance about a new forward option and then leave him out of the squad entirely?

0-0.
    Because he wanted to meet him, see how he fits in the system and then, probably, to try him in a friendly that we have next week. Before risking his head with a guy, he has only spoken on the phone with
    Last edited by Briuk; 09/10/2021 at 4:24 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Briuk View Post
    Because he wanted to meet him, see how he fits in the system and then, probably, to try him in a friendly that we have next week. Before risking his head with a guy, he has only spoken on the phone with
    If the manager has called up a player that he's only spoken to him on the phone (and he hasn't - he's been seen at Wigan games recently) then he should be moved on.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

11. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Honestly, no.

Connolly has done little enough at club or country to suggest he really has an international future.

Horgan is limited too for sure, but I like attitude far more. That doesn't count for much I know, but he overachieves in the green whereas Connolly flatters to deceive. Horgan has even scored.

Ideally neither would be in the squad of course, but needs must

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Horgan and MaClean should never be selected. Believing that either of them is at this level is more than a blind spot it’s delusional.

I don't get the Horgan pick. I don't get the McClean pick. I don't get the 3-4-3 that may see us overrun in central midfield depending on what Azerbaijan are like. But then again I don't really get Kenny either.

That team and formation makes me feel like we're hoping for a bit of luck now, or just hoping that Azerbaijan are maybe, hopefully just as poor a team as their ranking and results suggests. But then that would then make our failure to beat them at home (and need for a late equaliser to nick a draw) even worse than it already looks.

Agree with this. We had massive central areas of the pitch in the middle and forward thirds with no orish players on them at home against these making us totally disjointed. Play 2 up top and 3 in central midfield leave tge spaces out wide not centrally for the wingbacks to move into

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    this seems a strange position to take. SK has been given an incredibly long leash behind integrating new players.

the team selection says two things to me : 1) he realises the gravity of the situation in that he needs a win.

2) he has bottled it by selecting lads he knows will give their all for him.

he may get away with it because Azerbaijan are clearly garbage and I suppose all will then be forgiven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I'm confused by McGrath starting on the bench. He's good enough to start against Portugal and Serbia, but he's not good enough to start against Azerbaijan?

We played badly in his absence against Azerbaijan at home as well, after a good performance against Portugal

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm confused by McGrath starting on the bench. He's good enough to start against Portugal and Serbia, but he's not good enough to start against Azerbaijan?

We played badly in his absence against Azerbaijan at home as well, after a good performance against Portugal
    It's a product of the switch to 3-4-3. If we're only picking two central midfielders there isn't room for a McGrath type. Don't agree with it myself, but presumably that's the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Agree with this. We had massive central areas of the pitch in the middle and forward thirds with no orish players on them at home against these making us totally disjointed. Play 2 up top and 3 in central midfield leave tge spaces out wide not centrally for the wingbacks to move into
    Incidentally I agree with every word of this.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post

And he can score a goal. And he can unlock a defence with a pass. He just feels like a far better option (and player) for this game than Horgan.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Any sort of win will do nicely plese lads.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    It's a product of the switch to 3-4-3. If we're only picking two central midfielders there isn't room for a McGrath type. Don't agree with it myself, but presumably that's the reasoning.
    True, but we could play Cullen and McGrath in midfield, with Hendrick behind the front two, or Hourihane, or rotate Hendrick from midfield with either of those two in the support role

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Positive start and a goal! Keep it up!!

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    High press causing them huge problems. Worry we’re a bit open to a counter though. Otherwise perfect start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    What a goal great stuff
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    What a goal.