Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Azerbaijan V Republic of Ireland - Sat, 9th October 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Added Will Keane's playing record to the site: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Play...6&seasonID=151
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    The Will Keane call up proves the "project" is total nonsense
    Why? "Because he has a lovely weight of pass" did anyway else nearly crash the car when they heard that
    Only to be trumped by Keith Andrew saying he has the Data to prove we should have won some games we lost!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Aiden O'Brien can probably feel a little aggrieved too, he has four goals in seven games this season, although three of them were in a league cup game against Blackpool
    Keane has four goals in ten appearances, all in the league
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Only has 118mins of football in the league. Hasn't he also played mostly on the wing so wouldn't be a similar player as Keane. Would be similar to Scully and Curtis who weren't called up. Surprised to see he's still only 27, turns 28 this Monday.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Sure tis No Harm to have a look at the Fella ~ Will Keane.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I dont think the worrying thing is the players ability or lack there of.
    Its the noises from the management team over the last few years and then they pick this generations Gary Doherty ( and I'm being unfair on Doherty..let's be honest) I think this nightmare will end in Luxembourg anyway

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I dont think the worrying thing is the players ability or lack there of.
    Its the noises from the management team over the last few years and then they pick this generations Gary Doherty ( and I'm being unfair on Doherty..let's be honest) I think this nightmare will end in Luxembourg anyway
    I haven’t seen Will Keane play, except for maybe once a few years ago, so no judgement on him but noises have always been that he has tonnes of ability but the injuries were so severe that he wouldn’t live up to the ability. You’re probably choosing between him, Shane Long, Scott Hogan, Sean Maguire and Georgie Kelly - I’d probably have shane long but in fairness, he’s not playing football... I know it’s cliched but there’s probably no harm in having 1-2 lads at the periphery of the squad who you’re looking at and giving a low leverage opportunity to here and there...

9. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    The Will Keane call up proves the "project" is total nonsense
    Why? "Because he has a lovely weight of pass" did anyway else nearly crash the car when they heard that
    Only to be trumped by Keith Andrew saying he has the Data to prove we should have won some games we lost!
    Lovely commentary. So true yet fin and sad. This chap Kenny lives in that oldie tv show. The twlight zone. At least he brought some kids. But Kenny is demential is like those anglicana christian lousy prophets from tv. Pare de sufrir!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Clark was very poor back in March, it's no surprise that he's being left out IMO. He's poor going forward with the ball at his feet which Kenny wants his RCB and LCB to be good at, and his defending back in March especially against Serbia was poor. Was the worst of the defenders on show so no surprise he misses out when Egan was fit again and Duffy back in form.

He also only slots in at LCB, so makes more sense to have lads who can play in more than one position in that back three. You also have Stevens and Manning who can slot in if push comes to shove.

If we were playing backs to the wall defend deep he'd probably be in as it suits him, but doesn't suit him when asked to keep hold of possession more and actually try to contribute to attacks by pushing forward when in position.

Only defender you could argue that he may replace is Nathan Collins. But I doubt Collins is getting beat as easily in the air like Clark was for that third goal against Serbia. Plus Collins is a RCB, can play RB if needed and probably more comfortable with the ball at his feet than Clark.
    Sure - and Doherty, Coleman, Egan, Duffy and Stevens haven't made mistakes.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Sure - and Doherty, Coleman, Egan, Duffy and Stevens haven't made mistakes.
    Course they have, no player to ever play can say they've never made a mistake. Egan suits how Kenny wants his CBs to play and Duffy is playing week in week out now in a team that play a more possession based style than us but plays in the middle of the three whereas Clark plays on the left.

Unfortunately for Clark he doesn't suit the way he wants the CBs either side of Duffy to play, and he's not a better defender than Duffy whose been moved into centre of the three for both club and country now. Duffy doesn't play Egan goes back into the middle, and Omobamidele will move over to left (whose showed he's more comfortable going forward with the ball) with Collins coming in at RCB.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Course they have, no player to ever play can say they've never made a mistake. Egan suits how Kenny wants his CBs to play and Duffy is playing week in week out now in a team that play a more possession based style than us but plays in the middle of the three whereas Clark plays on the left.

Unfortunately for Clark he doesn't suit the way he wants the CBs either side of Duffy to play, and he's not a better defender than Duffy whose been moved into centre of the three for both club and country now. Duffy doesn't play Egan goes back into the middle, and Omobamidele will move over to left (whose showed he's more comfortable going forward with the ball) with Collins coming in at RCB.
    Simple as that. What could possibly go wrong.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Two first half goals for Sammie Szmodics won't do his chances of a cap much harm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Had been dropped for the last few games after the defeat to Sheffield United. Good to see him score after getting back into the starting XI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    (previous post went wonky when I tried to edit (sorry))

So, it's not been that hectic on this thread.

We have a few things we can assume now I think

Idah starts
    Cullen starts
    Duffy and Egan start
    Stevens slots back in

I smell 5-3-2 being deployed so he can accomodate Parrott and Idah - the 4-3-3 just didn't work with Connolly but it's just a guess..

hendrick and knight the other 2 in midfield.

Stevens and Doherty on the wings in the their optimal club roles.

Bazanu
    Stevens
    Egan
    Duffy
    Omobamidele
    Doherty
    Cullen
    Hendrick
    Knight
    Parrott
    Idah

Robinson, Connolly, Mcgrath, Ogbene as attacking choices off the bench. Mcclean if we are chasing a result...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I think he might prefer Robinson to Parrott, but broadly I agree with your predicted team.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I wouldn't be overly surprised to see a 4-3-3. But the relative success of the 3 at the back might see it persisted with.
    Bazanu
    Stevens
    Egan
    Duffy
    Doherty
    Cullen
    Hendrick
    Knight
    Connolly
    Idah
    Robinson

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I wouldn't be overly surprised to see a 4-3-3. But the relative success of the 3 at the back might see it persisted with.
    Bazanu
    Stevens
    Egan
    Duffy
    Doherty
    Cullen
    Hendrick
    Knight
    Connolly
    Idah
    Robinson
    robinson in place of parrott in the 4-3-3 may be the making of it. Robinson would be a bit smarter and more expereinced to make use of the space the other 2 are not occupying (I think)... if he goes 4-3-3 that would make sense.

getting nearer to a settled side finally.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    See him trying 3-4-3 like the last game. Omobamidele in for Coleman, Hendrick in Molumby, and Robinson in for Parrott. Can see McClean keeping his starting spot over Stevens.

-----------------------Bazunu

Omobamidele - Duffy - Egan

Doherty - Hendrick - Cullen - McClean

----------Robinson - Idah - Connolly

If he doesn't go 3-4-3 I think Connolly drops out for Knight who'll play as the advanced midfielder offering support to the strikers and pushing up to make it a 3-4-3 at times like he did in Hungary.

He pulled a surprise card and started McGrath in Portugal so wouldn't rule out Keane getting a start, but think he'll probably get a start against Qatar instead.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Bazunu
    Omobamidele, Duffy, Egan
    Doherty, Hendrick, Cullen, Knight, Stevens
    Robinson, Connolly

This would be my pick but McClean and Idah are more than likely going to start so I'm going to be some way off with this side.

I don't think Idah has enough of a goal threat and we need a goal threat. He could be great in the future but in a game like this I am just concerned that he won't get in the position for a chance or take the chance if it comes. I could see Robinson and Connolly causing lots of bother. With Knight supporting them that would be even more bother. I like the energy and pace that front three would bring. I would say that Idah has as high a ceiling as that three but it isn't a game that we need him to run the channels or provide an out ball like he did so brilliantly against Portugal.

McClean v Stevens I'm not fussed on. McClean did well there against Serbia and I have huge respect for him. But Stevens has played that position at a higher level and consistently and his delivery should be more consistent.

I wonder if SK will revert to a 4-3-3? I don't think we have enough wide forwards to play that formation. A team of Bazunu; Doherty, Egan, Duffy, Steves; Hendrick, Cullen, Knight; Robinson, Idah, Connolly doesn't look too bad and is quite similar to the side JR89 has picked in terms of personnel (Omobamidele out for Knight). (EDIT: Passinginterest picked the same side).

I honestly haven't a clue.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I honestly haven't a clue.
    You're not alone!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast