Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Basically our only hope of qualifying now is beating Bulgaria by 1 goal and concede a goal, so a 2-1, 3-2 etc to ensure Finland finish last of if we win by 1-0 or by more than a goal then Bulgaria finish last meaning our results against them wouldn’t count and we still certainly be out. As long as Portugal win the rest of their games and we beat Bulgaria 2-1 then we will
    be second and we might stand a chance of getting through as having 3 points as a 2nd place team should be enough to get you through.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Basically our only hope of qualifying now is beating Bulgaria by 1 goal and concede a goal, so a 2-1, 3-2 etc to ensure Finland finish last of if we win by 1-0 or by more than a goal then Bulgaria finish last meaning our results against them wouldn’t count and we still certainly be out. As long as Portugal win the rest of their games and we beat Bulgaria 2-1 then we will
    be second and we might stand a chance of getting through as having 3 points as a 2nd place team should be enough to get you through.
    Apologies a high scoring 1 goal win for Ireland is required now for Ireland to have any chance of qualifying, 3-2, 4-3 etc. the good thing is we create chances and we can’t defend for **** so there’s every chance of that happening. Essentially todays score line but reversed along with a Portugal clean sweep will see us through.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    We seemed to tire in the last 20 minutes quite badly leaving mahoney very isolated. Zefi went out of the game totally as well for the last half hour. Not playing zefi as a 10 centrally seems a bit of a waste

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I don’t know what but something just didn’t feel quite right from the beginning this campaign, almost felt like a Jim Crawford side. I think what summed it up was the first kick off against Portugal the first thing the Irish team did straight from the kick off is lump the ball down field straight to the Portuguese back four, almost sending a message that we had no intention of even trying to play football. I found it unusual as it’s not something you ever see from the Irish underage sides. And even today even letting Finland dictate the game was incredibly disappointing, we arguably dictated the game more versus Portugal in the 2nd half then the entire game today, yes we created chances but it felt most of the chances were just us breaking out of defense rather than us trying to systematically break down Finland like we did for instances versus Poland in the preliminary round.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Apologies a high scoring 1 goal win for Ireland is required now for Ireland to have any chance of qualifying, 3-2, 4-3 etc. the good thing is we create chances and we can’t defend for **** so there’s every chance of that happening. Essentially todays score line but reversed along with a Portugal clean sweep will see us through.
    So assuming Portugal win against Finland (they've already qualified). Basically, if we win by 2 goals, we come second in the group, Finland come third, Bulgaria come 4th.

But when it gets to the best 7 of 8 second placed qualifiers, only the results vs the first and third teams count. So we'd have 0 points and have a -4 goal difference. So, it's possible to qualify under those circumstances but unlikely.

However, if we one by a single goal, we could go through on goals scored. We'd need to outscore finland across the games excluding the portugal ones, so 1-0 would have us level which means we come 3rd. 2-1 is enough for us to win the group, but Bulgaria still come last. However as CSAD said, if we win 3-2 or 4-3, then we come second and bulgaria come third.

And in that case, we'd have 3 points and a -2 goal difference, which should be enough to qualify, but not definitely. It's further complicated by Russia being kicked out and how their results will be counted for the 2nd place team in their group and Ukraine's group being postponed to April.

Anyway, I hope the boys know if they're 3-0 up, going into the last few minutes, they've got to throw the ball into their own net twice.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    So assuming Portugal win against Finland (they've already qualified). Basically, if we win by 2 goals, we come second in the group, Finland come third, Bulgaria come 4th.

But when it gets to the best 7 of 8 second placed qualifiers, only the results vs the first and third teams count. So we'd have 0 points and have a -4 goal difference. So, it's possible to qualify under those circumstances but unlikely.

However, if we one by a single goal, we could go through on goals scored. We'd need to outscore finland across the games excluding the portugal ones, so 1-0 would have us level which means we come 3rd. 2-1 is enough for us to win the group, but Bulgaria still come last. However as CSAD said, if we win 3-2 or 4-3, then we come second and bulgaria come third.

And in that case, we'd have 3 points and a -2 goal difference, which should be enough to qualify, but not definitely. It's further complicated by Russia being kicked out and how their results will be counted for the 2nd place team in their group and Ukraine's group being postponed to April.

Anyway, I hope the boys know if they're 3-0 up, going into the last few minutes, they've got to throw the ball into their own net twice.
    Yeah, the GD is an issue but it’s incredibly unlikely that all 8 teams will have 3 points so a win should be enough if by the right margin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Final game kicked off 15 minutes ago, already 1-0 down
    Live text commentary here: https://www.uefa.com/under17/match/2034000--republic-of-ireland-vs-bulgaria/

Portugal leading Finland 2-1 in the other game in the group: https://www.uefa.com/under17/match/2...d-vs-portugal/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    It’s 2-2!

Ireland now just need 1 more goal and they will have the 3-2 result they need to give them a fair shout of qualifying with 15 minutes left!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Portugal 6-1 up in the other game, so that’s done there.

So one goal and it looks good

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    That one goal didn't come I assume.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    no, finished 2-2, and Portugal beat Finland 9-1, Finland had a player sent off
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    That one goal didn't come I assume.
    You assume correct!

They showed great character to come from 2-0 down to make it 2-2 and give themselves a fighting chance of qualifying. Ultimately they haven’t shown enough over the 3 games to deserve it. I would put a lot of blame at the coaches door for these performances, for whatever reason they just never looked comfortable and looked bereft of
    Ideas.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    CSAD - just wondering, is this the group of players who Andy Reid took over at u15s level a couple of years ago before heading off? Because if so, they were a poor side (in comparison to other years) under him, just Zefi and Vata have glossed over things a bit perhaps.

also, cathal heffernan was weak against Portugal, and sounds like he made howlers against Finland too?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    both of the second two goals conceded against Finland shouldn't have been scored, and we should have been far ahead at that stage anyway, their keeper had a great game

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    CSAD - just wondering, is this the group of players who Andy Reid took over at u15s level a couple of years ago before heading off? Because if so, they were a poor side (in comparison to other years) under him, just Zefi and Vata have glossed over things a bit perhaps.

also, cathal heffernan was weak against Portugal, and sounds like he made howlers against Finland too?
    No Jason Donoghue was definitely in charge, it was my first season following them so I definitely would know!

We just seemed like a very badly organized team but afew players with moments of brilliance here or there papered over the cracks.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    No Jason Donoghue was definitely in charge, it was my first season following them so I definitely would know!

We just seemed like a very badly organized team but afew players with moments of brilliance here or there papered over the cracks.
    yes, that's right, Jason Donohoe. good man well remembered. I struggle to identify the different years unless I get to see them in flesh.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Kennys kids reported that Ronnie mcgrath from Leeds is also switching and he is also a 2005 wide player but obviously not done in time for this squad
    He follows me on Twitter, so I asked him about declaring, said he's never spoken to anyone at the FAI

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    He follows me on Twitter, so I asked him about declaring, said he's never spoken to anyone at the FAI
    Thanks Tets. That's a shame . Hopefully he goes on to have a fine career anyways

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    I passed on the contact email address I've used before to him, we'll see what happens next

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    What is his link to us ?
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast