Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Matthews V Damien Richardson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Alan Matthews V Damien Richardson

Did anyone see Rico dismiss Mattthews like he was a bold child stepping out of line while he was throwing his hissy fit last night ..... just before he was spraying the water and got sent off ..... priceless it has to be said, wouldn't doubt'cha Rico boy !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    did you hear matthews interview afterwards? I think the man has a wee bit of a chip on his shoulder about rico

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    did you hear matthews interview afterwards? I think the man has a wee bit of a chip on his shoulder about rico
    I didn't hear that at all .... is that on Chorus ?? It wouldn't be the first time Alan gave an interview like that though !!!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    nah, it was on redfm. he was saying things like:
    (paraphrasing) richardson never gave us credit for winning the league cup when he was a pundit, but he seemed like he wanted to win it tonight judging by his antics on the touchline.

bitter little man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thought it was the other way round. Richardson has been having a go at Longford at every opportunity on the TV over the last two years.

Fans booed him when he came out for the Cork game at Flancare - which made a difference when it comes to City, because Dolan always got a great welcome in Longford - still does.

Richardson didn't help the situation with his arrogant comments in the papers.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rico is a bit of a football purest. I don't think he likes the kick & rush approach that Longford seem to have adapted to in recent seasons.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think its pretty clear at this stage that matthews doesnt like city,plain and simple.Whenever we beat them he never gives us credit and comes up with ridiculous comments like "they didnt really hurt us tonight" after a 2-0 defeat at home!!I heard his comments on redfm and his tongue was firmly in cheek
    "They have the internet on computers now!" ,Homer Simpson

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by town73
    Richardson didn't help the situation with his arrogant comments in the papers.
    Few of us ever get to understand what the man is saying.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Well the plus points are that bar the FAI Cup we shouldn't have any more home games vs Longford (the new UCD) this season.
    All we can do is to go up there later on and hand out a lesson.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Rico is a bit of a football purest. I don't think he likes the kick & rush approach that Longford seem to have adapted to in recent seasons.
    THe only thing that Rico has criticised Longford for are the lack of consistency and ambition in the league. Rico has said that if you have a squad good enough to win cups, why can't you challenge for the league?
    And so we come back to the old debate again, that Longford fans simply don't want to listen to or even admit is there:
    Namely Longford do have a total lack of ambition in the league, and under Matthews and his view, are only there to make up the numbers.

Say this to a Longford fan and you get the usual "Trophies, we win cups, City cupboard is bare yada, yada, yada, small club, can't compete, yada, yada, yada"
    but the fact remains that Matthews is the only manager in this league who starts each season with absolutely no hope of being champions. His "realism" is just his way of making sure that his club and fans are happy to never aspire to anything more than a cup victory.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down

I am astonished at the small mindedness of you lot. Just because Longford dumped you out of the cup you have griped and moaned on every thread since the game. I have not seen any reference by any of you to the incident that got Matthews so wound up, which was the fact that his goalkeeper's leg was broken. This could mean an end to the player's career though we obviously hope not. Not one posting which I have read has expressed any concern from your club relating to the players welfare.
    Ye may consider yourselves to be great supporters of Cork City, but none of ye qualify for the title of sportsmen. Now back to your griping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Longford could get third in the league and Europe with a bit more ambition. I cant see why not. Youre not going to win the FAI Cup every year.

With reference to the Goalkeeper - what the hell did Matthews get upset at Rico for his goalkeeper getting injured? I hope he makes a speedy recovery btw.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by observer
    I am astonished at the small mindedness of you lot. Just because Longford dumped you out of the cup you have griped and moaned on every thread since the game. I have not seen any reference by any of you to the incident that got Matthews so wound up, which was the fact that his goalkeeper's leg was broken. This could mean an end to the player's career though we obviously hope not. Not one posting which I have read has expressed any concern from your club relating to the players welfare.
    Ye may consider yourselves to be great supporters of Cork City, but none of ye qualify for the title of sportsmen. Now back to your griping.
    I'm astonished by you and all other Longford fans inability to even ONCE engage in what some City fans are saying.
    You will talk about ANYTHING, except the fact that your current manager believes that you are there to make up the numbers in the league, starts every season with no ambition to win the league and is happy to put out a negative, sterile team, week, in week out, even though there are some excellent players at his disposal.

btw, this is the first I've heard that Dempsey's leg was broken.
    If this is true, I really hope he gets well soon, and that he suffers no long term effects on his health or career.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Goes back further than that with Rico and Longford - when he was talking about Cork in the next round of the cup, before we'd even played played in 2001.

Rico just has the same mentality that you're so quick to jump on if a Dublin Manager says the same thing.

I expect you'll be the first critic of Rico if he doesn't come out in the media and claim that Cork could win the UEFA cup?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    i love the eircom league....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Goes back further than that with Rico and Longford - when he was talking about Cork in the next round of the cup, before we'd even played played in 2001.

Rico just has the same mentality that you're so quick to jump on if a Dublin Manager says the same thing.

I expect you'll be the first critic of Rico if he doesn't come out in the media and claim that Cork could win the UEFA cup?
    It actually is unrealistic for an eL team to win the UEFA Cup, but as our chairman has already said to UEFA, and anybody can say at any stage, that doesn't mean that you give up before you even start.

All the stuff that has been posted by most Longford fans recently is the "we are a small club...small budget...small squad..trophies...cups..." etc. etc.
    There are some superb players at Longford, and if the same amount of time and effort was put into winning the league as is put into winning cups, why shouldn't Longford have a chance at the title?
    On any given week, Longford has as good a chance of beating any team in this league as City, Derry, $hel$ have.

Coming down to Cork (or anywhere else) and saying we have no chance of winning this game, lets put out an 11 man defence and hope we hold out for a draw, can hardly be the way you or any Longford fan wants your manager to approach a game, is it?

Rico has a fairly high media profile, and will annoy people (including City fans) at various times, as will any pundit. Whenever you hear Matthews on a program, he comes across as a whiny, curmudgeonly moaner with a serious chip on his shoulder. Rico has only been manager of City for a few months, yet Matthews has had a problem with City for a long time. I'd love you to find even one good thing he has ever said about City, because I would be genuinely surprised if you can. This is the guy whose stock comment after every City v Longford game is "they never hurt us". He says this time after time, even though we've taken 29 out of a possible 33 points of him in the last few seasons!

Look, I genuinely like Longford, I'm happy for their success and was willing them on for the last few Cup finals. The club itself is a great example to other clubs (except for the Rovers fans thing!), but I feel you are being let down by your manager and his mentality. If pointing that out make me a whinger and small-minded, well I can't do anything about that.

Now, back on track, Longford are sh*te!...

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    It actually is unrealistic for an eL team to win the UEFA Cup, but as our chairman has already said to UEFA, and anybody can say at any stage, that doesn't mean that you give up before you even start.
    Whats the difference? We don't have the budget to challenge for the league title, and we're realistic about it rather than demanding the club get in hock to challenge just to keep other clubs happy. Get the fook over it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Whats the difference? We don't have the budget to challenge for the league title, and we're realistic about it rather than demanding the club get in hock to challenge just to keep other clubs happy. Get the fook over it.
    I couldn't care less what budget you have, and neither did I demand that your club get into hock to win the title. You obviously believe Matthews and like him are happy to be making up the numbers and fleshing out the fixture list.
    Enjoy the season!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Longford have as many good players as Derry or Bohs and probably more depth too. You should be challenging.

Dillon, Fergusan, Kirby are as good as any players in their positions in the league.

You need to change the mentality.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    I couldn't care less what budget you have, and neither did I demand that your club get into hock to win the title. You obviously believe Matthews and like him are happy to be making up the numbers and fleshing out the fixture list.
    Enjoy the season!
    No, I'm happy to head up the part time clubs, and hopefully beat a few of them in the league to. Like we've consistently done under Matthews. Stability in the league the most important thing, rather than putting ridiculous expectations on a Manager with no basis to make those expectations. We'll leave that to the supporters of the "big" clubs who obviously win things the whole time the pure way everygame...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast