Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games week 24th September

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Rovers relegated and Dundalk in a playoff.........you didnt take that comment seriously did you? If you believe all the rumours doing the rounds tonight Rovers will have to break out the kitchen sinks to keep up with Derry next season and a lot more business to be done. They've been quick out of the traps for 2022. Interesting undercurrent of this run in. Cup draw rotten but would be fascinating if the final is Dundalk v Waterford if one or other is in the playoff days before.
    I don't take any of the comments on here too seriously Nesta....well there was that one.

Derry can spend away. Budgets don't come with guarantees although they do have the more competent of Kenny's assistants with them so they might be alright.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 25/09/2021 at 1:04 AM. Reason: Typed while imbibing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance kid View Post
    Brilliant, just like the sligo lads in 2010/11. "Youse might be winning but you're brutal to watch and we're great to watch". Can't wait for hopefully another season of it.
    I appreciate what you're trying to do but I did literally give Rovers credit to be fair ya big grown up ya. Genuinely did spend a large portion of the game failing to do more than knock it around the backline but the onus was on us to force more out and for the most part we didn't so can't complain. Well contested game but in the same way I've given Sligo etc credit for the way they play...Rovers offered a dull at best spectacle in terms of how they utilised their advantages but that's up to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I don't take any of the comments on here too seriously Nesta....well there was that one.

Derry can spend away. Budgets don't come with guarantees although they do have the more competent of Kenny's assistants with them so they might be alright.

Il
    Agree with both comments though the latter part is a time will tell thing though imo if Higgins is given half of the time and money as Bradley then Derry will be the top LoI side soon enough.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Agree with both comments though the latter part is a time will tell thing though imo if Higgins is given half of the time and money as Bradley then Derry will be the top LoI side soon enough.
    If he's given half the time and money as Bradley he'd be getting half of the second biggest budget in the league and 1.5 years to win a league with it. Their daisy if they do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    To many quotes I could do about Derry city for next seasons budget. Although I do agree with most.
    I'll get back to that in a bit as this is about this weekend's games.
    Derry v Longford, Longford huffed and puffed and had one shot on target the entire game v Derry city's 8 on target. How Derry didn't score more against the worst goalkeeper I've seen in the Brandywell in years, I'll never know.
    Biggest attendance since February 2020 at the Brandywell only 170 tickets not sold ( probably because 1,000 extra tickets released 48hrs before the game and very badly promoted only for fans late in the day).

Back to Derry city and next year's budget, yes we have now a chairman who has been there 10 year's who has been a Derry city fan all of his life who has sold his business for $2 billion. Yes he has made it clear he wants Derry to win the league within 2 year's.

I grew up a street away from him, I know how arrogant he can be, he is a successful business man for a reason. He gets what he worked for.
    I also think we have the most potentially best manager in the league right now and that's before he's got the big budget.

Unlike other billionaires Derry have someone who will never let ther ****e hit the fan and go busted again.
    The atmosphere among fans thinking about our future at the game tonight was so strange, it's like we know Santa is coming and we almost know it'll be soon.

#RAWA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    If he's given half the time and money as Bradley he'd be getting half of the second biggest budget in the league and 1.5 years to win a league with it. Their daisy if they do.
    Got it in one! A very highly rated coach, liked by players and a good cv for a first managerial position. Backed with the finances they will be formidable, it wouldnt be a surprise if they were competing for the league next season. The only down side for Derry is that players and agents knowing they have money will be at their fun and games - Dublin or a big wedge to move to Derry type stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    The Derry chairman has McEleney and rumour has it Duffy and Slogget/Patching and i heard a whisper McClean might be coming back from England.
    That and a few of the existing team is a team that could challenge from the off.
    Higgins wont make the mistake of going all moneyball like Wild Bill on exotic imports , they look like they will be title contenders for sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    My father was at it, said he witnessed a "free-for-all" between two groups of fans outside the ground, said a lot of Garda showed up. Hopefully he's exaggerating.

He also said the game was dire.
    I was there tge whole time waiting for a spin home. There wasn't a slap thrown, but there were flares thrown and fireworks set off. Including one flare thrown by a Treaty supoorter directly at a Garda car from about 3 metres away. It was ridiculous stuff.
    The worst thing that happened throughout was a firework thrown over the wall at half time into the city end. Landed right among a group of fans and could have ended very badly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    The Treaty event controller is every bit as useful as he was when he was the Limerick FC event controller. Seems to have a skill set more suited to his other work evicting people from their homes.

Two (volunteer) guards for about 1800 people, cork tweens left in with seemingly hundreds of flares and at a couple of minutes before full time open all the gates and leave everyone come and go as they please.

There's a great video on Facebook of the two sets doing there own form of interpretive dance on the pavements of the Garryowen road when they realised to their horror there wasn't enough guards to separate them

On the game itself the firework over the wall was probably the closest the night got to genuine entertainment and drama.

Really poor showing on and off the pitch from cork in a must win game but then they are obviously at a really really low ebb

Which is nice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    There's a great video on Facebook of the two sets doing there own form of interpretive dance on the pavements of the Garryowen road when they realised to their horror there wasn't enough guards to separate them

I've seen that dance a fair bit at Bohs v Rovers, except usually the gardaí are there. The worst is when everybody gets on the Luas and then some start the "if only I could get off this Luas I'd batter them all" ritual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Forrest seems love it over here since he took over the club from Power. Last couple weeks he’s been in the stands chanting with the fans. Here he was last night https://twitter.com/richieforeest/st...785304583?s=21

Since he’s taken over the difference and the positivity around has been an incredible shift. A small local business pledged €10k to the club a few days ago too. People are really starting to get behind him and the club.
    Last edited by sulywaterfordfc; 25/09/2021 at 3:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    The Treaty event controller is every bit as useful as he was when he was the Limerick FC event controller. Seems to have a skill set more suited to his other work evicting people from their homes.

Two (volunteer) guards for about 1800 people, cork tweens left in with seemingly hundreds of flares and at a couple of minutes before full time open all the gates and leave everyone come and go as they please.

On the game itself the firework over the wall was probably the closest the night got to genuine entertainment and drama.

Really poor showing on and off the pitch from cork in a must win game but then they are obviously at a really really low ebb

Which is nice
    I wouldnt mind seeing that, its always amusing when the hard 'men' brick it when they suddenly realise there nobody to hold them back!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Forrest seems love it over here since he took over the club from Power. Last couple weeks he’s been in the stands chanting with the fans. Here he was last night https://twitter.com/richieforeest/st...785304583?s=21

Since he’s taken over the difference and the positivity around has been an incredible shift. A small local business pledged €10k to the club a few days ago too. People are really starting to get behind him and the club.
    Is Forrest from the UK too Suly?Very unusual to see a owner doing this but hes certainly passionate thats for sure!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    To many quotes I could do about Derry city for next seasons budget. Although I do agree with most.
    I'll get back to that in a bit as this is about this weekend's games.
    Derry v Longford, Longford huffed and puffed and had one shot on target the entire game v Derry city's 8 on target. How Derry didn't score more against the worst goalkeeper I've seen in the Brandywell in years,

#RAWA
    Im surprised with LS he has being one of our better players. He was superb few wks ago in our win over Dundalk
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Im surprised with LS he has being one of our better players. He was superb few wks ago in our win over Dundalk
    He did make quite a few decent saves I'll give him that. But flapped at a few and didn't seem confident. May have just been an off day for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Stacy is a decent keeper, entitled to the odd bad day in a tough seasin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Three games in a week, wasteful in front of goal and can’t defend for our lives. We got what we deserved. You could see it coming too, which is the worrying part. Cup or bust for us now. Terrible record in semis over the last decade or so.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Stacy is a decent keeper, entitled to the odd bad day in a tough seasin
    This. He's been one of our best players this season from what I've seen. Not saying he didn't have a bad game in Derry, I didn't see it.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    How Derry didn't score more against the worst goalkeeper I've seen in the Brandywell in years, I'll never know.
    Have Dundalk not played in Oriel this season yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Dundalk dominating and score, great goal by stanton. Talbot should have done better
    Last edited by sbgawa; 27/09/2021 at 7:34 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast