Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games week 20th to 27th

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Rovers can sell them Gannon, Hoare & Towell. They can get the aul dundalk band back together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Rovers can sell them Gannon, Hoare & Towell. They can get the aul dundalk band back together.
    Cant agree with you here at all.
    Hoare has been excellent defending well and creating several goals, Towell was brilliant when he came in and has just had a few average matches lately and Gannon has been adjusting to playing wingback and i think will be excellent for us
    They can have McCann
    Derry also gave a 3.5 year contract to Gartside and i think any top player out of contract at the end of this season will be a target for Derry
    They will probably concentrate in Derry lads first but players will follow the money
    Last edited by sbgawa; 21/09/2021 at 4:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    The owner has been covering Derry’s losses financially for years in order to balance the books. The sale of his company has only it gone through. Derry have already announced McEleney will be signing once his contract with Dundalk expires. The manager has also signed a long term contract. Suspect they’ll be quick off the market once the season ends.
    Was going to say excluding McEleney but yeah, will be interesting to see how it pans out.
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Cant agree with you here at all.
    Hoare has been excellent defending well and creating several goals, Towell was brilliant when he came in and has just had a few average matches lately and Gannon has been adjusting to playing wingback and i think will be excellent for us
    They can have McCann
    Derry also gave a 3.5 year contract to Gartside and i think any top player out of contract at the end of this season will be a target for Derry
    They will probably concentrate in Derry lads first but players will follow the money
    Rovers have benefitted from having no other half decent rival to push them this year and the relatively old profile of Rovers hadn't really been tested - That could well happen next year if Pat's, Sligo and Derry improve.
    For my money the Rovers management team need to recruit more young, hungry players who are desperate to succeed (Scales, Mandriou etc) instead of seasoned seen-it-all-before veterans like McCann, Gannon. Towell etc.
    I'd exclude Joey OBrien from that 2nd list as Joey has been great for the club but father time is calling him in- He will be impossible to replace imo.
    I'm probably been harsh on towell as he arrived mid season but one's thing's for sure. We won't win the league playing the way we have for about half the games this year.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Listening to pundits this season you'd swear Bohs would be top 'only for a bad start'. 18 points off top isn't a bad start it's a bad season. If they don't win the cup Long might have questions to answer, even if their players do get player of the month each month.
    TBF, Bohs got 8 points in their first series of games, 19 in their second series. If we beat Harps at home on friday we'll have 14 from the third series.

If you take our average points per game over the 2nd and 3rd series (including beating Harps on Friday which is absolutely no gimme but one we have to win if we want to qualify for Europe) then we'd have 50 points and a game in hand against Rovers and we still have to play them twice. So yeah we'd be right in it if it wasn't for that first series of games.

Sorry, all the european postponements played havoc with my calculations of which games belong to which series, hence all the edits. I've gotten it right now I think.
    Two games left this series, Harps on Friday and the re-arranged games versus Rovers. But we'll probably start series 4 before we finish series 3.
    Last edited by David BOHie; 21/09/2021 at 7:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    TBF, Bohs got 8 points in their first series of games, 19 in their second series. If we beat Harps at home on friday we'll have 14 from the third series.

If you take our average points per game over the 2nd and 3rd series (including beating Harps on Friday which is absolutely no gimme but one we have to win if we want to qualify for Europe) then we'd have 50 points and a game in hand against Rovers and we still have to play them twice. So yeah we'd be right in it if it wasn't for that first series of games.

Sorry, all the european postponements played havoc with my calculations of which games belong to which series, hence all the edits. I've gotten it right now I think.
    Two games left this series, Harps on Friday and the re-arranged games versus Rovers. But we'll probably start series 4 before we finish series 3.
    You cant just exclude the matches that don't suit you, Rovers only got 12 points from their second 9 games when we had a mini injury crises and 23 from the first. If we beat Pats 24 from the next 9. if we excluded the middle 9 we could be way miles ahead, every team has good and bad patch's.
    Im a scratch golfer if i can pick my best 15 holes out of 18

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    All this talk of Derry and money bags.
    Have their owners actually spent any money on players yet?
    Paid Crusaders ~30k stg for McGonigle and give him a 3.5 year contract.

McEleney 3.5 year pre contract of course it will be the off season tells a story.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    You cant just exclude the matches that don't suit you, Rovers only got 12 points from their second 9 games when we had a mini injury crises and 23 from the first. If we beat Pats 24 from the next 9. if we excluded the middle 9 we could be way miles ahead, every team has good and bad patch's.
    Im a scratch golfer if i can pick my best 15 holes out of 18
    What? That's literally the point. His point was Bohs would not be up there with a better Round 1. I made the point "well if our first round of games was as good as our next two then yes, we would"

Is that a hard concept for you to grasp?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    It was you I was saying you can't just pick and choose games too.
    You'd be up there ad u say if u had a better round 1 but apply the same logic and give rovers a better round 2 and your no where. Is that to difficult to grasp?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    It was you I was saying you can't just pick and choose games too.
    You'd be up there ad u say if u had a better round 1 but apply the same logic and give rovers a better round 2 and your no where. Is that to difficult to grasp?
    You're changing the debate. You're adding an extra criterion.

The debate is, if Bohs had a better round 1, not if Bohs had a better round 1 and also Rovers didn't have a blip. Do you see how those are two different things?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Yes absolutely but if u want to make the point that if bohs had had a better round 1 they would be right there in the league then happy days for you...in a scenario where u get to award yourself a better round one and every one else just accepts their bad periods then congratulations u are in the title race. I am simply making the point that allowing everyone to pick the games they ignore knocks u back out of the race.

Saying bohs would have won the league if they had won every game is just as correct but irrelevant

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Yes absolutely but if u want to make the point that if bohs had had a better round 1 they would be right there in the league then happy days for you...in a scenario where u get to award yourself a better round one and every one else just accepts their bad periods then congratulations u are in the title race. I am simply making the point that allowing everyone to pick the games they ignore knocks u back out of the race.

Saying bohs would have won the league if they had won every game is just as correct but irrelevant
    Once again, you're completely missing the point.

This is my final attempt because you're either trolling, being deliberately obtuse or just not up to it.

I am not contending that if Bohs had a better first round they'd win the league, baselessly.

Partysaint contended there is something structurally wrong with our season and we were poor throughout. I simply said, our form for the second and third rounds of games are actually very good (i.e. once we got going) and it is fair to say that had we a better round 1, contrary to Partysaint's hypothesis, we would be up there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    My final effort also.
    I'm not missing your point. You are 18 points behind.
    Your point is that if you beat Harps you would be 15 points behind. If you had another 10 points added to make up for your bad start you would be on 50 and right in the title race as you would be only 5 behind. I can't argue with simple maths and I'm not trying to.

This is a discussion forum.
    My Counter point to your point (I am allowed make a point) is that while your maths is correct you r logic is flawed as every team has bad patches in a league , Rovers only picked up 12 in the middle set for instance. Look at sligo run of defeats in the last 9 games.
    It's the nature of a long league.. look at harps start.
    Im simply querying the logic of adding points to one teams total and not to others who have had their own bad patch's. Take out Sligos bad run and they are bang in it. That doesn't make the simple Maths you state wrong. Bohs plus 13 points looks good
    Last edited by sbgawa; 22/09/2021 at 9:14 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    My final effort also.
    I'm not missing your point. You are 18 points behind.
    Your point is that if you beat Harps you would be 15 points behind. If you had another 10 points added to make up for your bad start you would be on 50 and right in the title race as you would be only 5 behind. I can't argue with simple maths and I'm not trying to.

This is a discussion forum.
    My Counter point to your point (I am allowed make a point) is that while your maths is correct you r logic is flawed as every team has bad patches in a league , Rovers only picked up 12 in the middle set for instance. Look at sligo run of defeats in the last 9 games.
    It's the nature of a long league.. look at harps start.
    Im simply querying the logic of adding points to one teams total and not to others who have had their own bad patch's. Take out Sligos bad run and they are bang in it. That doesn't make the simple Maths you state wrong. Bohs plus 13 points looks good
    It`s the dropped points in fixtures against maybe the bottom half clubs , in terms of resources, that is a better comparitor? Bohs have dropped 14 points against Longford, Harps, Drogs and Waterford. Rovers and Pats have dropped 3 (?) in comparison against those clubs.
    Bohs have also dropped six points from 9 each v Sligo and Pats and five points from 9 v Derry. It means that Bohs, however entertaining the football may be, deserve to be where they are . struggling between fifth and fourth

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Edit, 7 from 9 v Derry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post

McEleney 3.5 year pre contract of course it will be the off season tells a story.
    Duffy looking for a 5 year contract, as he's been offered wages at Dundalk that Derry wont commit to. Security, but not sky high wages is what Derry can offer now.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    After a tough match last night with extra time for both Harps and Dundalk Bohs (v harps) and Sligo (v Dundalk) might anticipate a slightly easier match then otherwise.
    How many of Dundalk's Covid players can come back in for Friday or do we even know if they had covid or were they inconclusive and test again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post

I’d assume Derry will be giving players 52 week contracts from next season on? Do Derry train as full time pros?

Pretty sure we train full time and have done since Power came in but under Powers ownership we paid 40 week deals, not sure what’s happening with the new signings under the new ownership contract wise.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    I’d assume Derry will be giving players 52 week contracts from next season on? Do Derry train as full time pros?

Pretty sure we train full time and have done since Power came in but under Powers ownership we paid 40 week deals, not sure what’s happening with the new signings under the new ownership contract wise.
    I dont think DC are full time yet but I reckon that once POD pumps money from his shareholding ceasin they will be on the rd to going FT.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I dont think DC are full time yet but I reckon that once POD pumps money from his shareholding ceasin they will be on the rd to going FT.
    We are full time have been for several years. 40 week, 12 month contracts it had been mainly mind you hence the massive changes in squad every season, that is what will change or has changed.

21. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast