Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Games Friday 10th to Saturday 18th September

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Stop this nonsense talk about Dundalk getting relegated. It ain’t happening. They’ll have a ****e league campaign to show at the end of the season but I just can’t see them being anywhere else other than the PD next season

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I agree , I could see them finishing 9th with the form harps and waterford are on but by the time the playoff would come around the injury crises will be over and they would be far to strong for any first division team over 2 legs.

I asked my question narrowly as i think most fans would take it but the key is to consolidate, a bad season is just that but structural problems are different.
    When we won our 4 in a row in the 80's i thought we were indestructible but the Kilcoynes sold Miltown and in the next 25 years we won 1 league. But someone looking at the record books would say it was a great time.

Shels imploded and never really recovered to date and are about to lose Tolka.

All Dundalk have to do is imo leave Vinny there give him a budget of 50% or less of his current budget (same as Rovers according to Bill) and sign decent LOI pros and they will be competitive next year.
    It doesn't have to end in tears
    Last edited by sbgawa; 13/09/2021 at 8:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Huge 6 pointer tonight in Finn Park tonight.
    Chance for Harps to go 2 clear of Bohs who admittedly would have 3 games in hand but its better than being 4 points behind with 3 games more played.
    With Han suspended for Dundalks match away to sligo as well as their injury count that match has the look of an opportunity for Sligo to go 7 points clear of Derry and look like genuine top 3 candidates again following that awful run.
    Two big matches with lots at stake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Forgot there was midweek games on , happy days something look at tonight & tomorrow.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    No chance. A very limited number of fans actually care much about sustainability or acadamies they want decent football and success.

At the end of the day the LOI lends itself to boom and bust practices, worst case (see Derry 2010) you start again in first div. A single rung in the ladder below where you left off

I would absolutely take another year in the 1st div with a reformed club (sure what’s another version between friends) if it had been preceeded by titles, cup finals and big European games. That is what football is all about as a fan.
    Wow. That's a hypothetical I know but that would never fly in The Showgrounds. Winning some trophies is one thing but to reform your club would be seen by our supporters and the committee as the ultimate loss of all. Sligo Rovers committee, fans, supporter groups, trust, really see themselves as custodians of the club and it would be nothing but a slap in the face to everybody who has helped run the club in the past to just close up the club and start again.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    The level of short-sightedness on the forum, on this subject, is perhaps a glaring reason why the League of Ireland has never really thrived in the modern day.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Wow. That's a hypothetical I know but that would never fly in The Showgrounds. Winning some trophies is one thing but to reform your club would be seen by our supporters and the committee as the ultimate loss of all. Sligo Rovers committee, fans, supporter groups, trust, really see themselves as custodians of the club and it would be nothing but a slap in the face to everybody who has helped run the club in the past to just close up the club and start again.
    That has been the thinking in Inchicore through the years. There are many people both passed on and still alive that did amazing things to keep the club afloat. The thoughts of re mortgaging your home for your football club is unthinkable nowadays but fans did it.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I think, sincerely, once you've reformed your club the first time you've lost the high ground and it's less of a punch in the face to do it again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    That has been the thinking in Inchicore through the years. There are many people both passed on and still alive that did amazing things to keep the club afloat.
    Absolutely, heros one and all. Plenty of things happened to keep clubs alive that will never be known. And people didn't do it for recognition or slaps on the back, they did it for the love of their club. Its a conversation that dosent happen but nobody that gets involved wants to be the era that sees the club reformed.

The thoughts of re mortgaging your home for your football club is unthinkable nowadays but fans did it.
    Yip these type of things happened. Plenty of people have put their own money into the club or used their credit cards to get over a hump until money came through, and not that long a go either. When we were doing well about a decade ago there was people that had put money in and that was all cleared during the more prosperous times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    The late great Jim Murphy suggested that Dundalk's biggest success of all was survival!

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Sure they can all move across to the reformed club with the honours, colours, crest and stadium.

Get spending and fill that tropht cabinet. Wee year in 1st div
    do ya’s no harm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Sure they can all move across to the reformed club with the honours, colours, crest and stadium.

do ya’s no harm.
    It's hardly ever just the one though, like Pints.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I'll miss LOITV next season if it isnt around , being able to watch the match tonight/tomorrow is great.
    I wonder will it continue in some form.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    They should have had the game wrapped up by 30 mins on Saturday but were very poor in second half. Will find it difficult in the Showgrounds and no doubt you guys are licking your lips to get them in the cup. Should survive playoffs but UCD could make them sweat.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Who, Dundalk?

We've lost every one of our last 14 games with them and we concede quite a lot still. I wouldn't fancy our chances against them tbh, basket case and all that they are.

Galway as a full-time team - albeit not a particularly good one, seeing as they're behind us - may have a better chance I think.

I do have to laugh at DCWA's suggestion of "Wee year in the 1st Div". How's that going for Shels?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Who, Dundalk?

We've lost every one of our last 14 games with them and we concede quite a lot still. I wouldn't fancy our chances against them tbh, basket case and all that they are.

Galway as a full-time team - albeit not a particularly good one, seeing as they're behind us - may have a better chance I think.

I do have to laugh at DCWA's suggestion of "Wee year in the 1st Div". How's that going for Shels?
    A Paul Doolin inspired Athlone Town making a late run perhaps i thought the first division was over but Athlone winning away to Bray has them 5 points behind with 5 games to go.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I am glad to hear it as that of course was the intention.

I’m a Derry fan we done it one folks I can’t be held responsible for others getting stuck in the mud.

Decade later and we are billionaires, no harm done.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

do ya’s no harm.
    Pride is harder to move.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    A Paul Doolin inspired Athlone Town making a late run perhaps i thought the first division was over but Athlone winning away to Bray has them 5 points behind with 5 games to go.
    Six points really when the goal difference is taken into account.

Bray have to play Cobh, Cabo and Wexford, and if they win those three, that should be enough even before Athlone slip up (as they surely will)

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Says he crossing his fingers fervently!
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast