Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 245

Thread: Games Friday 10th to Saturday 18th September

  1. #221
    Seasoned Pro PartySaint's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    2,743
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    541
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    858
    Thanked in
    438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Yeah they are close now. We would have to beat them next week to keep any slim chance alive. A defeat for us or a draw and itís champagne time for Rovers.
    Even a win on Friday wonít make a difference, theyíll be 3 clear with a game in hand, they wonít drop enough points and we wonít get enough to overturn that. The result last night done us a favour, a Sligo win and we could have been struggling to hold onto second, should be ok now. Itís all about the cup from here on in.

  2. #222
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,656
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    You'd have to assume that's not the mindset of the pats dressingroom unset SOD giving up on the title just yet.
    It's that very inferiority mindset that mountney outlined to the rest of the pats squad, about how they were perceived by the main teams in the league, in the last number of years anyway.

  3. #223
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,673
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    658
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    How can you give up on a title if you are only 3 points behind....our game in hand is against Bohs btw.
    I couldnt imagine giving up if the situation was reversed.

  4. #224
    First Team Nah Nah Nah Nah's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    572
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    584
    Thanked in
    337 Posts
    Gaffney was super last night. Toughest game Mahon and Buckley have had all season. Huffed and puffed a bit in the second half without creating a huge pile. Still having problems creating chances. Great atmosphere there last night.

  5. #225
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,673
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    658
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Gaffney was super last night. Toughest game Mahon and Buckley have had all season. Huffed and puffed a bit in the second half without creating a huge pile. Still having problems creating chances. Great atmosphere there last night.
    Gaffney would be my player of the season if i was voting now

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #226
    Reserves Calcio Jack's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    969
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    102
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Gaffney would be my player of the season if i was voting now
    Agree doesnít always get the recognition he deserves but from the off heís been brilliant and last night was one of the best displays Iíve seen in a long time- not a big guy but has a fantastic ability to play with his back to goal win most balls played into him and then orchestrate the play- plus his finishing is top drawer

  8. #227
    Reserves Bucket's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2020
    Posts
    335
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Is Gaffney under contract for next year? Would love to see him come home and play for Utd before he retires. A superb footballer

  9. #228
    Seasoned Pro PartySaint's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    2,743
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    541
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    858
    Thanked in
    438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    How can you give up on a title if you are only 3 points behind....our game in hand is against Bohs btw.
    I couldnt imagine giving up if the situation was reversed.
    If you believe youíre going to throw the title away from this position you definitely would be giving up on any hopes of the title if the tables were turned.

  10. #229
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    450
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    112
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Gaffney would be my player of the season if i was voting now
    He was absolutely brilliant when coming on as a half time sub in the 2-4 game in the Brandywell. Destroyed Derry.

  11. #230
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,673
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    658
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    If you believe you’re going to throw the title away from this position you definitely would be giving up on any hopes of the title if the tables were turned.

    I don't think we are going to throw it away (if you could call 3 points clear with 9 games to go a "throw away" plus a game in hand against bohs) but equally i wouldn't quit if we were 3 points behind. Mountney was right about the spirit in Pats.
    I think SOD has changed the dressing room , the support needs to follow suit

  12. #231
    Seasoned Pro PartySaint's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    2,743
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    541
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    858
    Thanked in
    438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I don't think we are going to throw it away (if you could call 3 points clear with 9 games to go a "throw away" plus a game in hand against bohs) but equally i wouldn't quit if we were 3 points behind. Mountney was right about the spirit in Pats.
    I think SOD has changed the dressing room , the support needs to follow suit
    Youíre 6 clear and with a game in hand.

  13. #232
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    357
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    228
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    151
    Thanked in
    88 Posts
    If Rovers keep up the same level they hit in Sligo, against Waterford and against Pats, Dundalk and Derry pre Europe then the league is over. If they play like they did outside those games then Pats and even Sligo have every chance of catching up.

    Gaffney is quality. Towell makes us a lot better when he stops obsessing about scoring and puts in a proper midfielder's shift. Cotter looks like a very able replacement for Scales and the team generally looks like it is driving to the title. Europe and the cup may have been a distraction for what was a team in a small transition.

    Great game in Sligo. Tackles flying in and some lovely passages of play too. Joey Ndo enjoyed every minute and I enjoyed every minute of Joey Ndo. Mahon is a real talent.

  14. Thanks From:


  15. #233
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,673
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    658
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    You’re 6 clear and with a game in hand.
    I was responding to your post to D24 Saint that even a win on Saturday wouldn't make any difference.
    If you win you are 3 points behind and we have a game in hand against Bohs.
    If you think that is an unassailable position or one we would have to throw away with a full round of fixtures to go Mountney was right about Pats being soft.
    Its a comfortable place to put yourself "ah sure we;ve no chance"

    Hopefully we make it irrelevant by going to inchicore and winning.

  16. #234
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    405
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    139
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    88
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I was responding to your post to D24 Saint that even a win on Saturday wouldn't make any difference.
    If you win you are 3 points behind and we have a game in hand against Bohs.
    If you think that is an unassailable position or one we would have to throw away with a full round of fixtures to go Mountney was right about Pats being soft.
    Its a comfortable place to put yourself "ah sure we;ve no chance"

    Hopefully we make it irrelevant by going to inchicore and winning.
    You’re aware that Mountney was talking about the pats teams of the past number of years and D24 Saint was to the best of my knowledge not playing for pats in the last few years…
    Paaatrick's Agletic

  17. #235
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,673
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    658
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    You’re aware that Mountney was talking about the pats teams of the past number of years and D24 Saint was to the best of my knowledge not playing for pats in the last few years…
    I'm not sure what you are saying here.
    I was pointing out to Party Saint that we would be 3 points ahead with a game in hand if Pats beat us.
    It was this scenario that he said wouldn't make any difference while D24 Saint said they would still have a chance (slim in his words) with a win.
    Equally I'm not sure what your point is about D24 Saint not playing for Pats or Mountney referring to previous PAts teams, i specifically said SOD has changed the dressing room and the support need to follow and not be looking for the easy way out "ah sure we've no chance"

    The match on Friday will be a huge one

  18. #236
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    405
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    139
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    88
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'm not sure what you are saying here.
    I was pointing out to Party Saint that we would be 3 points ahead with a game in hand if Pats beat us.
    It was this scenario that he said wouldn't make any difference while D24 Saint said they would still have a chance (slim in his words) with a win.
    Equally I'm not sure what your point is about D24 Saint not playing for Pats or Mountney referring to previous PAts teams, i specifically said SOD has changed the dressing room and the support need to follow and not be looking for the easy way out "ah sure we've no chance"

    The match on Friday will be a huge one
    Yes I agree that if pats win on Friday they’re still right in the title race.

    Whether every single pats fan believes we'll win the league this year or not is irrelevant to whether the players actually win it or not. Regardless of if fans 'believe' we'll win it or not, the players will receive the full backing of the fans in every game either way. Winning is done on the pitch and you’re putting far to much emphasis on the 'belief' of fans playing a role in success.

    What exactly is this the 'easy way out' of? The difference between Pats and rovers this year is, there’s no pressure on pats to win the title. By all accounts at the start of the season nobody would’ve had pats down to be where they are now given the very small squad. There'll be no uproar in Inchicore if we finish second or third as its clear the current squad are overachieving. Hopefully Europe at the minimum will be secured and then more squad depth and quality can be added next year so we don’t have to for example, make do with makeshift defences for large parts of the season. Depending on those additions you might see a lot more belief early on about winning a league but it’s still very very early to be looking that far ahead
    Paaatrick's Agletic

  19. #237
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,673
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    658
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Yes I agree that if pats win on Friday they’re still right in the title race.

    Whether every single pats fan believes we'll win the league this year or not is irrelevant to whether the players actually win it or not. Regardless of if fans 'believe' we'll win it or not, the players will receive the full backing of the fans in every game either way. Winning is done on the pitch and you’re putting far to much emphasis on the 'belief' of fans playing a role in success.

    What exactly is this the 'easy way out' of? The difference between Pats and rovers this year is, there’s no pressure on pats to win the title. By all accounts at the start of the season nobody would’ve had pats down to be where they are now given the very small squad. There'll be no uproar in Inchicore if we finish second or third as its clear the current squad are overachieving. Hopefully Europe at the minimum will be secured and then more squad depth and quality can be added next year so we don’t have to for example, make do with makeshift defences for large parts of the season. Depending on those additions you might see a lot more belief early on about winning a league but it’s still very very early to be looking that far ahead
    I dont think fans belief has any significant role i just thought it odd that a Pats fan off the (theoretical defeat of Rovers on Friday) would see the title as over.
    The easy way out part was just my way of saying that when fans (as opposed to teams) say we have no chance the league is over it is taking the easy way out / deflecting as if they win the league then its great but if they don't its a case of "well i said it was all over".

    I agree Pats have been a surprise this year and a year further of SOD plus European money will improve them further.
    Rovers will improve also i believe without the kick this year (hopefully anyway) of losing our two best players (byrne and McEneff) but instead adding a few.
    Rovers points haul this year has been relatively poor off the back of two mini injury crises and with Derry the new Man City and other clubs developing i think we will need to strengthen to win the league next year. Scales is already a loss but hopefully Kavanagh can get himself fit

  20. Thanks From:


  21. #238
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    405
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    139
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    88
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I see Farrugia came on against Sligo, would he not be seen as the more likely replacement for Scales? Although having said that his injury record isn’t much better than Kavanagh's
    Paaatrick's Agletic

  22. #239
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,673
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    658
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    yes to both i'm afraid.
    Farrugia was brought in as a winger to convert into a wingback and hasn't really had a chance.
    Kavanagh is the finished article.....just to be clear i mean finished article as in he is a brilliant left wingback, Farrugia has to learn the role
    Last edited by sbgawa; 20/09/2021 at 5:07 PM.

  23. #240
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,656
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    To me Kavanagh is finished as an article. But harsh I know, but it looks that way to me all season.
    Hopefully Farrugia can sty fit and fulfil his massive potential.
    We badly need some pace in this slow, plodding team, and it's something I hope the Rovers management team are looking at.
    Barry Cotter has been a revelation in the few games he's played in-delighted we knicked him off dundalk.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Games Weekend 18th September
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 22/09/2020, 6:48 PM
  2. Games Friday 6th to Saturday 7th March
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 14/03/2020, 7:07 PM
  3. Supporters bus to Finn Harps Sat 10th of September
    By bluewhitearmy in forum Limerick
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12/09/2010, 10:44 AM
  4. Montenegro Away - 10th September 2008
    By pineapple stu in forum Fans Forum
    Replies: 477
    Last Post: 24/09/2008, 5:38 PM
  5. Home games - Friday or Saturday?
    By holidaysong in forum Athlone Town
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12/04/2008, 11:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •