Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Azerbaijan - Saturday, 4th Sep 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post

Bazunu doesn't look comfortable with ball at feet.

Plus I feel we are too open in midfield and to easy to play through
    These two statements make me question if you watched the game at all? If anything Bazunu is a bit too comfortable with the ball at his feet so he gets a bit casual.

Did Portugal create more than a single chance playing through the middle? They resorted to lobbing in crosses to eventually get a breakthrough. It was one of the few games I can recall where the middle never really got opened up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    These two statements make me question if you watched the game at all? If anything Bazunu is a bit too comfortable with the ball at his feet so he gets a bit casual.

Did Portugal create more than a single chance playing through the middle? They resorted to lobbing in crosses to eventually get a breakthrough. It was one of the few games I can recall where the middle never really got opened up.
    I'm talking about under Kenny in general I think we have been too open so far.

I also think Bazunu is a very promising keeper for a 19 year old but he made 2 massive mistakes the other night, as well as doing some great stuff.

The underhit pass that led to the peno and he let a soft shot through his legs which he was lucky to recover from.

I'd personally go for Kelleher at the moment.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    IF (and Im aware its a big if) we win all our remaining games can we still qualify?

IF we play like we did during the week in next 2 games we could get 6 points. Pick up another 3 points away to Azerbaijan and we will heading into a home game with an already qualified Portugal.

Its a long shot, but these 2 games are huge to give us a glimmer of hope

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Well we're not at the half-way point of the group yet, so yes.

Won't happen of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    I'm talking about under Kenny in general I think we have been too open so far.

I also think Bazunu is a very promising keeper for a 19 year old but he made 2 massive mistakes the other night, as well as doing some great stuff.

The underhit pass that led to the peno and he let a soft shot through his legs which he was lucky to recover from.

I'd personally go for Kelleher at the moment.
    Why lucky? I thought it was extremely sharp reactions, he was straight on to it after he made the initial mistake. How many keepers have made the same flap only to dwell on the mistake and let the ball in? I was actually very impressed with his recovery watching live. He may have got a bit of help from the post too
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Won't happen of course.
    I wouldnt rule it out if this weeks performance becomes consistent

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Well that's a big if. Like, I hope it happens, but the Azeri game is a different kettle of fish entirely to the Portugal game, and the same performance won't necessarily work. We need to see urgency and clinicalness in front of goal and Andorra aside, we've been awful at that since before Kenny. I think we rode our luck against Portugal to a big extent too. That's part of football of course, and we were probably due, but it doesn't mean we'll keep doing it.

But let's see.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    The other thing people are forgetting is 3 games in 9 days is an awful lot, we cant be expected to have all the same players starting, or perhaps even all the back 5/4 starting either, even if they are our strongest line in our 11. I'd much preter Clark coming on against Serbia than say Manning or Scales and I think most would.
    When did you become favourable towards Clark's potential for us in defense, when he hit 30 years of age? or was it much later? Were you not one of those regularly questioning his ability at Irish intl level?
    I have always appreciated Clark and don't understand why he's not in the squad. Possibly Kenny wants to have a balance of experience along with emerging talent in the squad and questions of that policy inevitably pop up when the experienced lads fall down with injuries. But the 2nd goal in Faro was 99% a Ronaldo coup de grace.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I don't think anyone would argue that Scales should be in the squad ahead of Clark. Kenny's not an idiot, there has to be more to it. I'm not saying he didn't leave him out of the initial squad willingly but there's got to be a reason, be it a falling out or whatever, a covid issue, a fitness issue, a personal issue, that led Clark not to be in the squad once a centre half got injured (let alone two).

i found it interesting people saying that he was pre-disposed to Scales because he worked with him at 21s. Interestingly, he was the 4th choice centre half. O'Shea and Masterson were the starters the whole campaign with Collins the third choice and Scales fourth. At left back it was Leahy first choice and another (Clarke, then Wilson, then Ledwidge, then Thomas O'Connor). Obviously selecting him initially was somewhat controversial with players like Ryan Nolan generally highly rated when Kenny took over...

Lenihan is less of a no-brainer because he's been poor in his two caps, not really fair to judge a player negatively on two caps, but he really struggled. i wouldn't want him to play an important game unless he proved it in a friendly first.

Derrick Williams must be due to issues with covid and travel to the US and quarantine, he's had 3 good games for ireland and he's getting his game for one of the better sides in the MLS...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I would have Clark and the Gallagher guy from USA league. He seems diferent from what Ireland have and he is ver y creative.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Won't happen of course.
    How does half way mean anything? Work out the stats for groups and at what point it's not half.

I actually don't think a point or 0 against Portugal did or would make any difference. Just disappointed they dropped points against Serbia and not us they love conceding goals do Portugal
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I watched Serbia v Azerbaijan a good chunk of it they were no great shakes Serbia against Azerbaijan but by the same token we'd struggle against Azerbaijan in Baku if they play like they did that night. I thought a couple of teams in this group would drop points to them. There's still a chance ! For us but not anyone else!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Encouraging signs against Portugal the other night. I think the way Portugal were set up suited us, we could defend and find space on the break. It will be interesting to see if we can break down Azerbaijan. We still haven't scored many goals from open play in recent times. All the talk of us having an awful squad, it's no worse than McCarthy had and it looks like we have some serious potential coming through. I still don't think Kenny is the man to have in place to bring these through. But he made one great decision during his reign.

That was getting Anthony Barry on board. This guy is excellent. Moving away from Kenny's 4-3-3 to a 3-5-2 is clearly Barry's influence. Our set pieces have improved drastically, players seem to be gaining confidence in the system. The question is always asked, who can we get as manager anyway if we get rid of Kenny? Well, he's already there but obviously, he may be a top class coach, that doesn't mean he'd be a top class manager. Still, a young innovative and highly respected coach (see his Chelsea reviews) is someone I think would be an ideal candidate to develop the young talent emerging.

We should beat Azerbaijan 3-0.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    When did you become favourable towards Clark's potential for us in defense, when he hit 30 years of age? or was it much later? Were you not one of those regularly questioning his ability at Irish intl level?
    I have always appreciated Clark and don't understand why he's not in the squad. Possibly Kenny wants to have a balance of experience along with emerging talent in the squad and questions of that policy inevitably pop up when the experienced lads fall down with injuries. But the 2nd goal in Faro was 99% a Ronaldo coup de grace.
    Ya I think it's fairly futile of me to try and argue the point too much, but as much or as little I've watched Ronaldo that little false sense of security trick coming back in from offside, wrong footing the defender always finding the area where the ball will naturally arrive and then the leap... is it me or has the majority of those goals come late in the game? Certainly feels like last 30 mins or so. Yes he's a freak of nature with his leap , power and redirection but I still think there's things to do leading up to that especially late in the game when defenders are tired and you've a manager nerdy for stats and details. But I won't labour that point anymore.

On the Clark thing I don't think I ever sang his virtues from the rafters, but this is just a fairly sensible inclusion.

On stutts point about scales, where else but against a slightly superior opposition to he used to facing can you judge his level ? I mean I'm deadly at table tennis against anyone I know : ) doesn't mean I'm any good!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Encouraging signs against Portugal the other night. I think the way Portugal were set up suited us, we could defend and find space on the break. It will be interesting to see if we can break down Azerbaijan. We still haven't scored many goals from open play in recent times. All the talk of us having an awful squad, it's no worse than McCarthy had and it looks like we have some serious potential coming through. I still don't think Kenny is the man to have in place to bring these through. But he made one great decision during his reign.

That was getting Anthony Barry on board. This guy is excellent. Moving away from Kenny's 4-3-3 to a 3-5-2 is clearly Barry's influence. Our set pieces have improved drastically, players seem to be gaining confidence in the system. The question is always asked, who can we get as manager anyway if we get rid of Kenny? Well, he's already there but obviously, he may be a top class coach, that doesn't mean he'd be a top class manager. Still, a young innovative and highly respected coach (see his Chelsea reviews) is someone I think would be an ideal candidate to develop the young talent emerging.

We should beat Azerbaijan 3-0.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!
    Are you suggesting Kenny wasn't forced into the change but actually thought into the change ? That it's Barry that has seen things drastically change since before summer. And the Hungary, Andorra and Portugal performances are his influence and change bearing fruit?

I mean the contrast in play and organisation between the first few games and the last 2/3 has been huge
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Are you suggesting Kenny wasn't forced into the change but actually thought into the change ? That it's Barry that has seen things drastically change since before summer. And the Hungary, Andorra and Portugal performances are his influence and change bearing fruit?

I mean the contrast in play and organisation between the first few games and the last 2/3 has been huge
    I think Barry's influence can't be underestimated. Any videos I've been able to see from training sessions are dominated by Barry. Obviously he's the coach but he's also a far superior communicator and is clearly getting the message across. Kenny is a 4-3-3 man and even went back to that after 3-5-2 was tried. Usually a good sign of organisation is at set pieces. There's been a clear improvement in this area since Barry came on board, attack and defensively. I'd give him the job. Kenny is a nice man but clearly out of his depth.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Dan McDonnell has a probable line up in the Indo which is surely based on decent info but there are a few changes I didn't expect.

Bazunu
    Coleman Duffy Egan
    Doherty Cullen Hourihane Manning
    Horgan Idah Robinson

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I would go this team tomorrow

..,...,...,.. bazunu ......
    Obomamidele Duffy. Egan

Coleman Cullen jeff. Matty

Robinson/idah. Mcgrath

Connolly
    .,..,.........,................................... ...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    If Robinsón is ok I play him and rest Idah for second half. Energy wise. I would also play Collins to pressure them. Would play an old fahioned 9

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I would test a few the thing is Arter and Molumby arent playing and they are in a certain position. I would start Arter for Hendrick though to have and experience there and hendrick may be weary

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast