Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Azerbaijan - Saturday, 4th Sep 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    The Kenny Out brigade never miss an opportunity.
    We just drew at home to Azerbaijan. Not exactly nit picking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    The Kenny Out brigade never miss an opportunity. Half these posters were nowhere to be seen after the Portugal match when we performed well.
    I was here. I praised both Kenny and the performance.

But this has to be his Waterloo. It was clueless stuff.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Very hard to find any positives from this. On the basis that we have hit rock bottom I would give Kenny the rest of the campaign. We have a number of young players reaching around 10 caps and the experienced international criteria and lack of confidence is playing a big part for now. I also remember Wales sacking John Toshack a few years back when he was blooding kids and losing every game. The benefits of this were just around the corner. The worst thing about today was the utter predictability of our play. Crosses pumped into the box in hope and nobody trying to create anything or take on a defender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Can understand why morale is low but the psychology of this team is so, so poor. Watching Molumby charging about, diving and diving in after losing the head was embarrassing. The same mistakes emerging time after time after time. We do the basics so poorly sometimes, it's incredible. I sometimes wonder if Kenny is so caught up in his grand project, he's forgetting about some simple stuff. And also getting his team mentally prepared.

Formation was wrong again. Needed changing after half an hour, far too slow on the uptake.

Apart from that, players need a long hard look at themselves over the goal, composure in the opposition box and general panic that set in after about 55 minutes.

I'm ambivalent on whether he stays or goes at this stage. I feel like he might as well see out the campaign because we're definitely penny and pound in. But, yeah, as PStu said Portugal is irrelevant now. Very depressing.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post

Apart from that, players need a long hard look at themselves over the goal, composure in the opposition box and general panic that set in after about 55 minutes.

Very true. The energy the players were giving out in the last half hour was something akin to hysteria, and it showed in the amount of stupid mistakes they made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Players getting off far too lightly imho.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Its clear Kenny wants to play a certain way. Instead of adapting to the players, he is trying to create the players for his system. However the problem is, this is not a club so he doesn't have enough time to develop them... I don't see this working, after this result unless we beat Serbia, he is out

9. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Bazunu again it was a g

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Briuk View Post
    Its clear Kenny wants to play a certain way. Instead of adapting to the players, he is trying to create the players for his system. However the problem is, this is not a club so he doesn't have enough time to develop them... I don't see this working, after this result unless we beat Serbia, he is out
    You’d think it would take a win and a good performance against Serbia or else it is time to call the Kenny era off.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    hi for me, its better that we are out, now , the key results were at home, a marginal defeat to serbia and portugal wasnt expected but possible, happened , again, today was for old heads in the team, parrott idah and connolly cant save your neck, all together at the same time

At least we can improve from hero from the end of qualification, get a few victories at home and get revenge vs the minnows . Today we dominated the thing is the goal was a blow at the end of first half out of nowhere .

The 3 at the back formation works because they couldnt penetrate our defence but the scored a screamer, we cant trust in kids yet, you have to play with some experience heads, now we must get some results from Portugal and Serbia not thinking in qualification but in the way we play, and get results.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Mentality is a big factor. A lot of young players with limited experience in the team. Easy to get up for a game against Portugal as a freehit, but you have to be beating the likes of AZ.

I want Kenny to succeed, but with so many young players in the team it might be time to look at someone w/ more experience at a higher level,. I have the feeling that Kenny is overawed by the whole international football thing just as much as the young fellas. (Kerr, by contrast, didn't seem overawed, so it's not necessarily a LOI thing, but a mentality thing).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    Mentality is a big factor. A lot of young players with limited experience in the team. Easy to get up for a game against Portugal as a freehit, but you have to be beating the likes of AZ.

I want Kenny to succeed, but with so many young players in the team it might be time to look at someone w/ more experience at a higher level,. I have the feeling that Kenny is overawed by the whole international football thing just as much as the young fellas. (Kerr, by contrast, didn't seem overawed, so it's not necessarily a LOI thing, but a mentality thing).
    agree... the thing is the following I happened to read your newspapers and there are some darts from PAUL MCGRATH AND DUNNE. that's understandable players that had won prestige over the last 30 years or so, dont want to get all that they have done go in despair and in vain.

Dunne makes a point about improvement needs to be alongside points on the board, that is very italian mindset from an irish but thats true, the little Trapattoni in him. I say if ireland had played from the same level of determination they did in the last 25 minutes, they yes, would have won it 4-0 but that wasnt a case. I guess there were some stage fright in connolly and parrott no so much with Idah, but Idah needs a #9 alongside him to cause havoc,

Football is a cruel old game, when you forgive that much as the irish did they could punish you, what I dont like about this mindset is that the "patience", no dont need that we must play with urgency with accuracy but with urgency like in the last 25 minutes.

The campaign was already over with that Luxemburg result tbh, Serbia match we should have got a penalty, in Portugal the ref ripped the team off, and yesterday it was the national team fault and the coach because he selects the players.

The grass football that he tries to implement goes with rush and urgency, accuracy ok, is not different as the way the ajax from the 90 played 3-3-1-3 . we played a a good system but we needed older heads upfront. kids will never save you your neck. they will become better if a structure is working right, weve got the spine for the team now

the defence and the new Glenn Whelan (Cullen) i will play James McCarthy next to him, and some other guy to float around (mcgrath brady carey hourihane ?) and two strikers one young and the other one a veteran, a seasones guy like Sheridan or Collins or Hogan anyone woth more than 150 games played at least.

we are getting better but then a drawback and a disillusion

well this disillusion must stop thats why McGrath and Dunne threw darts to Kenny yesterday. People deserves better than this. Start vs Serbia as we finished vs them there is no other way out, no patience no more, go get them by the scruff of their neck.

We argentina are improving with the pressure of course accuracy is key play it in triagles and diagonals but we try to rush them to put them under pressure to force them to make mistakes. the 3 kids couldnt cope with the pressure strategy or maybe that wasnt the instruction that is madness

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    it time for the Stapletons Galvins Morans and Aldridges to talk about this. I agree for the youngsters of today the so called the millenials generation there is an extra motivation to beat these glamour teams with guys like Pepe and Ronaldo, but they have to get dirt to beat the minnows maybe semiprofesionals players. Shane Long and James McCarthy out was a big hit for Ireland in my opinion.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    thats why when some of you say Shane Long is old and cant score whatever they say, but this guy is needed today to lead by example, he played scored and won with Ireland same as James McCarthy and McClean Coleman, we need the kids but we shouldnt rush them. It was exposed that Idah needs another big 9 to move around, well play with another 9.

who plays in the hole? McGrath Robinson Hourhihane Hendrick Carey Byrne Crowley Johansson Ronan? Connolly?
    Last edited by Bielsa´s irish; 05/09/2021 at 7:13 AM. Reason: bad word

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    Very hard to find any positives from this.
    I suppose if you were pushed for a positive, it'd be that we had 21 shots (per UEFA; other sites may differ). The Luxembourg disaster had 11 shots. So against a slightly worse team, we did at least record twice as many shots, but we have no-one who can score, and that's been a growing problem for years now.

I agree that the nature of the play was predictable and that there was none of the guile Kenny was trying to bring in (eg the well-worked opener in Serbia), but then, this is a really bad squad.

That's about the only positive I can really take out of the game tbh

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Tuesday: five minutes away from Ireland’s best ever result in World Cup or Euros qualifying history.
    Saturday: five minutes away from Ireland’s worst ever result in World Cup or Euros qualifying history.
    It’s a funny old game...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    There is no chance we beat Serbia. The are on the high we are down. Unless we play with no pressure. And go for it. With the chance they pegged as back. Actually i think serbia is gonna play this way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    There'll be a few lads leaving foot.ie en mass tomorrow. Reputation in tatters. Some saw serbia as some sort of apocalypse and we lost to lux. Some saw Portugal as a superb performance and we draw with Azerbaijan. Hear ye hear ye. This is just awful. What more embarassment do you want upon your country, your team?
    What posters are you talking about (wumming) specifically? I felt that the general perception was that the good performance in Portugal wouldn't count for much unless it was backed up yesterday. Clearly that hasn't come to pass.

Is it not normal to praise a good performance and those involved just as it is to be critical of the opposite? Or should everybody just refrain from posting until the block of matches are completed and analyse them all together?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Kenny's reaction was a bit embarrassing too Bourne out of desperation. For all the defending of him and his style of play we're still relying on set pieces and crosses.
    I thought Stephen Kenny had abandoned set pieces?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Nobody says that McClean recovered the ball between two rivals and placed it to Cullen McClean is the least of the worries in that role. He is usted as scapegoat maybe because he talks polítics and football people avoid hot topics.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    What posters are you talking about (wumming) specifically? I felt that the general perception was that the good performance in Portugal wouldn't count for much unless it was backed up yesterday. Clearly that hasn't come to pass.

Is it not normal to praise a good performance and those involved just as it is to be critical of the opposite? Or should everybody just refrain from posting until the block of matches are completed and analyse them all together?

I thought Stephen Kenny had abandoned set pieces?
    He appeared to at the start yes but as said he's slowly morphing us back into the way we were, it's the only way we've been able to get us goals. There's little change , only desperation and poorer results.

I think someone used the word "superb" about Portugal? Someone also said something similar around the time of Serbia away but also that it only mattered if we went out and outplayed and beat Luxembourg - which we also didn't do
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast