Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cork City v Longford Town

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MARTINHO II
    i could not make the game. was there much of a crowd from longford? why was alan matthews sent off?
    Maybe 7 or 8 from Longford?
    Your whinging, "11 man defence is the only way to go", idealess, ambitionless, only here to make up the numbers in the league, "the league Cup is my main goal again this season", cnut of a manager threw water and hurled abuse at suporters in ther main stand.

I realise everybody stands by and defends their own teeam, and supports them through thick and thin, but the side and "tactics" that Matthews employs is utter sh*te. It is painful having to endure games of 11 men defence.
    In the first half, Longford actually trei to attack some time, and they might even have scored. In the second half, I think they got into our half of the pitch twice? Even then, Mickey had to make a good save. So some of your team can actually make chances and attempt to score. Would somebody ever tell your manager that?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    I have never seen a team playing for a draw in a knock-out, must finish game, but hey, Matthews and his Longford side know best....
    erm, who actually won?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    erm, who actually won?
    Longford did Macy, and you lot will all be thrilled and I'm a whinger.
    But the team I support plays football, what the f*ck do Longford play?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Longford did Macy, and you lot will all be thrilled and I'm a whinger.
    But the team I support plays football, what the f*ck do Longford play?
    Winners football - hence the trophies...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Winners football - hence the trophies...

What Longford play is most definitely not football.
    But sure you won a few cups, so you lot are happy.
    When you are playing in front of less than a 100 people, you will still be happy....

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccfcgirl
    about 2500 there.
    1500 mentioned on the other forum...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    1500 mentioned on the other forum...
    2,000 is a fairly accurate figure.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Another very frustrating evening, I was fuming leaving the ground then the Mrs txt'd me wondering where I was, after I telling here there was ET. I could have gone home and kicked the cat or the wall but what would that have achieved?
    Longford gave us some hope in the first few minutes that they might try and play but that soon evaporated into the back 10 they employed the last day.
    We knew what they would do and the onus was on us to break them down.
    Even though we bossed the game their keeper(s) were never overly taxed. Our crossing and set pieces were atrocious again.
    Special mention to last nights officials, they were brutal and that would go for both teams, a ref that is obviously not able for this level of football and one who thinks football is a non contact sport. Doling out yellow cards like lollipops and then bottling the 2nd yellow numerous times.
    An injury to the Longford keeper that must have lasted 7 or 8 minutes and then insulting us by playing 3 minutes added time.
    Hugo Whoriskey, you shamed the game last night and Eddie Foley, well what can I say about small Eddie, nothing.
    John O'Flynn doesn't have the bottle for big game situations, cup semi vs Derry, last minute vs Shels prime examples of this. 1500 about right for the crowd, poor enough. Below par performances all round.
    Smash and Grab really, it was soft goal from a corner, knew we'd never score then cos it really was one of those nights, chalk it down to experience, lads and move on.
    Last edited by razor; 06/07/2005 at 8:35 AM.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair points razor, except that we did break them down many times, it was simply not going into the net.
    I'm fairly sure the crowd was 2,000ish, btw.

We really must do something about our deadball situations. It's gone beyond a joke by now. Getting a free kick in whats supposed to be a dangerous position for the guilty team is as good as a clearance for them now. It was obvious from the way that Flynnie stood to take the penalty that he doesn't seem to have complete confidence when the pressure is on. He did score the penalty against Galway, but he doesn't seem 100% convinced he will score. Behan would have buried the thing, simply because he believes he will.
    Rico has to get hold of George and tell him to stay away from free kicks. George is an outstanding player, but is USELESS in those situations and needs to be told quickly that the ball does not belong to him and he doesn't have to be involved in everything.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "Oh how often our thoughts, in their fancy take flight
    To the dream of a trophy some day.
    But then, once again our ambitions are smashed,
    As our dreams like our feet turn to clay.
    And then when defeat, like the fast sinking sun
    Spreads its rays of disquiet o'er the Sea-e.
    Then Patsh with his Razor, their gripes will express
    On the Banks, of their own lovely Lee,
    Where Pat Dolan was buried, because of complaints
    From the Banks (€), on their own lovely Lee."

Just something to cheer ye up lads.
    We are quiet content with a boring undeserved 1-0 VICTORY.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by observer
    Well done, you are quite content with being in contention for the league cup again. Fair play to you....

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    I'm fairly sure the crowd was 2,000ish, btw.
    Bear in mind all COrk fans' estimates on the attendances thread have been way over the top when compared to the official figures, even though they swear blindly by them at the time!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by observer
    Of course and why wouldn't ye be ? Ye came with a plan and executed it well against a far superior team. I heard Matthews had the 1988 FA Cup Final video out over the weekend. Fair Play to ye.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Bear in mind all COrk fans' estimates on the attendances thread have been way over the top when compared to the official figures, even though they swear blindly by them at the time!
    Well when you can't count them on the fingers of both hands it gets that bit harder.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well don't believe me so, it's immaterial to me.
    I'm going on my own experience of what the crowd is like, there were quite a few season ticket holders there that won't count as regards the takings, but I'm fairly sure my estimate is about right.

Even allowing only for 1500, I think it's not a bad crowd for last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    way over the top when compared to the official figures
    It depends on how "official" the figures actually are and what patrons they take into account.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    At least Razor talks some sence.We set up our stall and it was up to Cork to break it down.It was a smash and grab raid from Longford and it worked.I'll be the first to admit that at times we are not a pretty site to watch but i always go home much happier with a win under the belt than losing after a good performance.It's now becoming clear that Corks inability to beat teams who actually have a game plan against them has shown up yet again.It's becoming quite obvious that Rico has one game plan and when that dosen't work he's fcuked.Alan Matthews clearly learned from what cork done to UCD and adopted a game plan to firstly not concede a goal and secondly try and nick something on the break.It worked so well done Alan.At the end of the day results count in football and another trophyless season lies in store for Cork unless they wake up to the fact that the lesser teams than them will play these tactics to avoid being beat.As a team and supporters i have always liked Cork but some of you are the biggest whingers i have ever come across.If it's not your fixtures it Oli Byrne or Pat Fenelon or some ref or some other teams tactics.
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Jaysus Lads, our first team and our second team held you scoreless. Our third choice keeper, making his first first team appearance saves a peno and keeps a clean sheet for 30 minutes! Just as well Mathews doesen't take this competition too seriously or else he'd have played the first team .....! Come on the Town, double double!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy
    At least Razor talks some sence.We set up our stall and it was up to Cork to break it down.It was a smash and grab raid from Longford and it worked.I'll be the first to admit that at times we are not a pretty site to watch but i always go home much happier with a win under the belt than losing after a good performance.It's now becoming clear that Corks inability to beat teams who actually have a game plan against them has shown up yet again.It's becoming quite obvious that Rico has one game plan and when that dosen't work he's fcuked.Alan Matthews clearly learned from what cork done to UCD and adopted a game plan to firstly not concede a goal and secondly try and nick something on the break.It worked so well done Alan.At the end of the day results count in football and another trophyless season lies in store for Cork unless they wake up to the fact that the lesser teams than them will play these tactics to avoid being beat.As a team and supporters i have always liked Cork but some of you are the biggest whingers i have ever come across.If it's not your fixtures it Oli Byrne or Pat Fenelon or some ref or some other teams tactics.
    Unfortunately it's hard to disagree with a lot of that. A shocking lack of amibition on Longford's part however.....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Just as well Mathews doesen't take this competition too seriously!

The League Cup IS his main ambition....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast