Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 128

Thread: Games weekend 3rd September

  1. #61
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    207
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    42
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Wonder will Rovers fans acknowledge that there are serious problems in their team now or will they continue to shout in their little echo chamber that everything is okay?

    The best thing that could happen to Rovers is they donít win the league as that will hopefully be whatís required for changes to be made at the top, Bradley is an extremely mediocre manager who gets his ass saved in the league because of the squad he has but gets exposed in Europe because he isnít good enough quite frankly.
    Last edited by CSAD; 03/09/2021 at 10:53 PM.

  2. #62
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,633
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    187
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Deserved win for Harps tonight.
    Great debut by Cotter for Rovers - let's hope he fares better than all the other signings this year(apart from Danny), who have veered between underwhelming (towell) and downright disastrous (gannon).
    Max murphy still has a lot to improve on but as he's still young he gets a pass.

    Irrespective of how the rest of the season unfolds this Rovers team needs 4 or 5 top quality signings, and the recent recruitment record dies not bode well.
    Harps look a fine team, btw, playing decent football this season

    The empty vessels surface as expected.

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #63
    Reserves Finlay Harp's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Location
    County Down
    Posts
    274
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    14
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Most satisfying

  5. #64
    Reserves Jack B's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    371
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    96
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Up the Harps

  6. #65
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    86
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    239
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Tim Clancy loaded both barrels and pulled the trigger regarding ref,Rob Harvey in v Sligo Rovers post-match interview.

    The Drogheda United manager was speaking after Friday's 0-0 draw with Sligo.Drogheda United secured another point in their battle to avoid a relegation scrap after a largely forgettable 0-0 draw with Sligo Rovers at Head In The Game Park on Friday night.
    The visitors had much the better of the opening period, but struggled to break down their hosts. Robbie McCourt's effort from distance stung the hands of David Odumosu, but chances were few and far between.
    The second half continued in a similar fashion, although Drogheda were much improved after the break and went closest when Dan O'Reilly's header from Ronan Murray's corner came back off the crossbar.
    However, the most notable event of the night occurred in the closing stages, when referee Rob Harvey - having been called to the Drogheda bench by fourth official Derek Tomney - showed Tim Clancy a yellow card.
    Harvey had barely taken 10 paces back towards the action when he was again called by Tomney, and this time issued a red card to the Drogheda boss, who had just returned from a three-game ban.
    Speaking to LMFM's David Sheehan after the game, Clancy made no attempt to hide his anger.
    https://www.lmfm.ie/news/sport/im-th...g-away-clancy/

  7. #66
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,479
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,169
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,049
    Thanked in
    720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Irrespective of how the rest of the season unfolds this Rovers team needs 4 or 5 top quality signings, and the recent recruitment record dies not bode well.
    Harps look a fine team, btw, playing decent football this season

    The empty vessels surface as expected.
    Now where has that been heard before? There's a few glasshouses that must be in bits about Tallaght! Gannon's form has been off for season and a half now. Trying to play him at wing-back didnt work at Dundalk and is an issue still when Rovers set up similarly. Shame really, but at least there is some security with his contract. Be happy to have him back at Dundalk now we've binned that rubbish system if Rovers persist and its not working. The expectation on Towell's impact was overdone in hoping he would be a band-aid for Byrne and McEneff. More games and he will improve as he probably isnt match sharp or settled in to a new team yet. Be interesting to hear how things panned out with Cotter considering it was a done deal with Dundalk. Have the type of contract offered by Bill done us again? We really could do without Harps showing any form.

  8. #67
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    86
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    239
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    If you cant beat the opposition shure take it out on the bogs

    https://twitter.com/IvanHarvey19/sta...81040997715970

  9. #68
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,689
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,852
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,498
    Thanked in
    2,045 Posts
    Harps were very good tonight. Haven't seen as composed a performance from a Harps side in a long time. Gaffney hit the post, but that's about all the real chances Rovers had for the game.

    Two super goals from Harps as well. On a great run of form now, hopefully it continues on as well. Could do with climbing the table a little more yet.

  10. Thanks From:


  11. #69
    Reserves CorribsideSteve's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    628
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    182
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    96
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    It's shocking to see Dundalk face the very real, ever-growing possibility that they'll be fully embroiled in a relegation play-off. They might have 2 games in hand,but I don't think that means anything, the way they are playing.

  12. #70
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,479
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,169
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,049
    Thanked in
    720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Tim Clancy loaded both barrels and pulled the trigger regarding ref,Rob Harvey in v Sligo Rovers post-match interview.



    https://www.lmfm.ie/news/sport/im-th...g-away-clancy/
    Is there any kind of league managers association here? They'd have their work cut out on Tim Clancy and Ollie issues but it is daft not to be able to use video evidence in an appeal be it on the pitch or sidelines. If there was an objection to a Go Pro in a technical area how will the refs react when they get mic'd up which will happen one day broadcast or not. Response to this will be interesting!

  13. #71
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,479
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,169
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,049
    Thanked in
    720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    It's shocking to see Dundalk face the very real, ever-growing possibility that they'll be fully embroiled in a relegation play-off. They might have 2 games in hand,but I don't think that means anything, the way they are playing.

  14. #72
    Reserves CorribsideSteve's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    628
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    182
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    96
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    O ye of little faith etc etc. But surely everyones wishing this season was over already up there. I would have felt. The cup is still up for grabs I suppose.

  15. #73
    First Team joey B's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    1,468
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    82
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    187
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Cork 7 unbeaten in the league now,just a couple too many draws for them to look at a play off,but maybe Healy finally has a foundation to build on for next seasonÖ

  16. #74
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    283
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    174
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    124
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Now where has that been heard before? There's a few glasshouses that must be in bits about Tallaght! Gannon's form has been off for season and a half now. Trying to play him at wing-back didnt work at Dundalk and is an issue still when Rovers set up similarly. Shame really, but at least there is some security with his contract. Be happy to have him back at Dundalk now we've binned that rubbish system if Rovers persist and its not working. The expectation on Towell's impact was overdone in hoping he would be a band-aid for Byrne and McEneff. More games and he will improve as he probably isnt match sharp or settled in to a new team yet. Be interesting to hear how things panned out with Cotter considering it was a done deal with Dundalk. Have the type of contract offered by Bill done us again? We really could do without Harps showing any form.
    I think the idea was the Gannon just needed a new club to recapture his form or motivation. It hasn't panned out obviously but I wouldn't be putting the blame on him either. Our issue is the gaping holes missing where McEneff and Byrne played. I don't regret the signing even if he was poor enough for Dundalk before coming to us. We had Finn as an option there. That we are now left with Gannon playing another position he isn't good at (right sided CB) is just down to injuries. Gannon would be a sub otherwise.

    I don't think anyone expected Towell to make up for both McEneff and Byrne's departure to be fair but he's certainly not made enough of an impact to cover even one of them so far. Outside of the run leading in the Europe where we were very good and he was key to what we did he's struggled to play the role being asked of him. Still early days as he came in mid season and we've been ropey all over the pitch. Cotter did look good and should replace Joey in the back 3 when (if) everyone is fit. Joey's done at this level sadly.

    Fair play to Harps. Some run they are putting together.

    What's the feeling in Dundalk on Perth now? I see a lot of Dundalk posters focusing on the Rovers mgmt team lately but do people up there feel Vinny is the man to eventually steady the ship or is he just a stopgap until Kenny returns or whatever the plan might be? It's bizarre for Dundalk to be where they are with the money spent and players available and you can't just blame FG or Bill can you? I don't know the ins and outs so I wouldn't go posting my hot take on it every week but the slide started under Vinny and seem to be continuing so what's the feeling up there? If Rovers did get rid of Bradley for being top of the league would Dundalk take him? Imagine what he'd do with twice the budget he already has.

    And sad to see the toilet damaged in Ballybofey but good to see the repairs already paid for by proper hoops. A ban for whoever was involved should follow.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 04/09/2021 at 1:39 AM.

  17. #75
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    86
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    239
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Dundalk were very lucky to get out of Waterford with a point despite playing well for about 60mins,faded badly as the 2nd wore on and the goal we conceded was calamitous.I would have taken your arm off for a point in this before a ball was kicked but was left feeling that me had missed an opportunity as Waterford were no shakes even for as bad as we were lets say.We were missing (i think) 8 key players due to injury or international call-ups.
    Why VP decided to play Abibi instead of Yates(who debuted last week in our FAI cup match) is beyond me? He was very poor throughout the match,punched balls he should be catching and was largely culpable for the Waterford goal.Yates played well last week so hard to know why he was dropped to the subs bench for this one.
    So despite us getting what i hoped we'd get out of the game i was disappointed that we ran out of steam at the end and allowed Waterford to sneak back in to the match. The usual players played well - Stanton,Patching,Dummigan,Boyle & even Hoban put a decent shift in despite not getting on the scoresheet.
    Perth won't be at the club next year and With the help of god Peak6 won't be here either despite Vinny cheerleading for them AGAIN during the week saying(guessing and hoping i'd reckon) that they are committed to staying.

  18. #76
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,479
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,169
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,049
    Thanked in
    720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    What's the feeling in Dundalk on Perth now? I see a lot of Dundalk posters focusing on the Rovers mgmt team lately but do people up there feel Vinny is the man to eventually steady the ship or is he just a stopgap until Kenny returns or whatever the plan might be? It's bizarre for Dundalk to be where they are with the money spent and players available and you can't just blame FG or Bill can you? I don't know the ins and outs so I wouldn't go posting my hot take on it every week but the slide started under Vinny and seem to be continuing so what's the feeling up there? If Rovers did get rid of Bradley for being top of the league would Dundalk take him? Imagine what he'd do with twice the budget he already has.

    And sad to see the toilet damaged in Ballybofey but good to see the repairs already paid for by proper hoops. A ban for whoever was involved should follow.
    On Perth, there are so many different stories about what went on its hard to know, maybe a mix of a few things, but Id have no problem with him staying on if the dross in the squad are ousted. The biggest reason for poor performance starting when we were still champions (and a cup final) a few months previous, has to sit with the owners, board and how the chairman was allowed to call the shots on football affairs. He backed the wrong advisors eg agent over coaches and experienced LoI people. Its alleged that players agent drove a wedge between the chairman and those who had a notion and suggested that things were going astray. VP goes, FG is in but not able to veto some of the signings - ironic that he sent Patching off training on his own and then out on loan considering his form. Like most disasters a few things tend to converge rather than one ingle issue. If I were a player that was busting a gut and then one of the highest paid LoI contracts ever is given to new player who doesnt perform and while proven players are being given short contracts or reduced terms well Id not be too pleased and morale would take a hit. Too many new faces too quickly doesnt help either,

    Bradley to Dundalk, no. Dundalk may have a bigger wage bill but Rovers are not in the bargain basement either. There may be some of the law of diminishing return involved where the calibre of player you'll get to play LoI wont differ hugely in ability within a certain range of budget. No need to spend anything like the money Dundalk are to top the league and also have some Euro progress anyway. If there is movement on contracts any time soon it will likely mean that owners and manager are there for 2022 and I think Perth can assemble a competitive side on better value for money even with a budget cut. We do need to see a couple of coaching appointments and some work on the pitch - will also indicate things settling down a bit. One very quiet chap at the moment is Jim Magilton, hopefully working away hard in the background on various things as he should have bar the managerial messing.

    I wont miss P6 TT if they leave after the messing but only if there is a buyer. I'm no fair weather fan but I'd find it wearisome to go back to bucket collections if there was a fan takeover unless it was some hybrid model backed by someone with a few quid!!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 04/09/2021 at 3:54 AM.

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #77
    Reserves trevy's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    581
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    37
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Is there any kind of league managers association here? They'd have their work cut out on Tim Clancy and Ollie issues but it is daft not to be able to use video evidence in an appeal be it on the pitch or sidelines. If there was an objection to a Go Pro in a technical area how will the refs react when they get mic'd up which will happen one day broadcast or not. Response to this will be interesting!
    Marc Bircham spoke about this last week and said was going to try get the managers together to do something about the disciplinary system. Appealing wrong decisions seems to be a waste of time as FAI discipline decisions are never overturned and it costs 500 to make an appeal. It's crazy that video evidence can't be used in players or managers favour.

  21. #78
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,479
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,169
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,049
    Thanked in
    720 Posts
    I could understand not allowing video evidence when it may not have been available for all grounds, it was probably an FAI half baked attempt at keeping it a level playing field. With LoITV, its time to move things on a bit. Refs should want this and to be mic'd up with an appeals process. Not to be so short sighted (ahem) to think it would undermine them. Its gets them off the hook if they make a mistake and cards overturned post game. Results will stand but ye'd hope that they have some professional pride to want to improve standards.

  22. #79
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    41
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    If you cant beat the opposition shure take it out on the bogs

    https://twitter.com/IvanHarvey19/sta...81040997715970
    It will be interesting to see how the powers that be react to this
    Drogheda United in this together

  23. #80
    Youth Team Kiki Balboa's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In the shadow realm
    Posts
    211
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    55
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the powers that be react to this
    Well a player only got one match ban for chucking a stone into a crowd.... so maybe it wont be that bad....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Games Weekend 25th September
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 30/09/2020, 5:34 PM
  2. Games Weekend 18th September
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 22/09/2020, 5:48 PM
  3. Games Weekend 11th September
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 17/09/2020, 9:06 AM
  4. Games Weekend 11th September Move Posts
    By The Lilywhites in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16/09/2020, 4:18 PM
  5. Matches weekend 6th September
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 13/09/2019, 1:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •