Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Tuesday, 7th September 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Tuesday, 7th September 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

I presume there's similar press releases from Azerbaijan and Serbia today?

(Well - maybe less scary, but otherwise similar)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I presume there's similar press releases from Azerbaijan and Serbia today?

(Well - maybe less scary, but otherwise similar)
    I missed it at the time, but Serbia's squad was announced a week ago

Fortunately it was also added to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia...l_team#Players
    Defence seems to be a little inexperienced
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Kolarov seems the only real omission going off wiki's "Recent call-ups" list. Maybe Ljajic too. They do seem to be a little light caps-wise in defence and in nets alright, though we'd kill for some of their options such as the Sevilla keeper.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    If we get a heavy defeat he must resign. Mark Hugues is my candidate we need a motivator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Hughes peaked with Blackburn 13 years ago.

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I wouldn't rule out hughes. He can handle players and get a tune out of them, even when they are only average players

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    It’s come to a sorry state when I’d even contemplate Harry Redknapp. Not yet willing to countenance Big Sam. Just someone who knows how to set up a team. If this continues, we will have destroyed the confidence of the young players who have been thrust into this shameful chaos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    It’s come to a sorry state when I’d even contemplate Harry Redknapp. Not yet willing to countenance Big Sam. Just someone who knows how to set up a team. If this continues, we will have destroyed the confidence of the young players who have been thrust into this shameful chaos.

I don't think reverting back to a "British" manager is the way to go.
    Do we really want to go back to watching the same tactics as the last few years of the O'Neill era or McCarthy's last term.

The idea around the Kenny experiment is the right one IMO, but maybe Kenny just isn't good enough to lead the revolution in the playing style.

I saw a list online with the odds for the next manager. Neil Lennon, Roy Keane, Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce all among the favorites. That's almost as depressing as Kenny's results.

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Score draw. Posters come on to say we look really good and must follow this up at lux away.

I do think we'll get the score draw.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    If we get a heavy defeat he must resign. Mark Hugues is my candidate we need a motivator
    Is he still alive?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesNotMiley View Post
    I don't think reverting back to a "British" manager is the way to go.
    Do we really want to go back to watching the same tactics as the last few years of the O'Neill era or McCarthy's last term.

The idea around the Kenny experiment is the right one IMO, but maybe Kenny just isn't good enough to lead the revolution in the playing style.

I saw a list online with the odds for the next manager. Neil Lennon, Roy Keane, Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce all among the favorites. That's almost as depressing as Kenny's results.
    Amen to all that. As someone who has defended Kenny up to now, I still think he’s trying to go about things the right way. For one reason another it’s just not working. It’s frustrating, and must be for him that we do relatively well away to the top two teams in the group, then follow it up with two shockers against Luxembourg and yesterday. At least the effort was there yesterday, and if the finishing was better we could have ended up with a relatively comfortable victory. But we didn’t, so it’s not really much consolation. I feel for Stephen Kenny, but we have to find a way to win some games, otherwise I fear the end is nigh. Please though, no washed up English managers to replace him.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I dunno Tony. Stephen Kelly was on SSN with Richard Dunne earlier. He was saying it's all well and good trying to play between the lines but you need results too. But yesterday and in some other games I didn't even see us try to play between the lines. There was no clever movement or interplay, it was all functional A to B along the touchline or into a channel type stuff. So is he trying to go about things the right way? I'd definitely agree that he's right to ask the players to trust themselves on the ball and there is plenty in his public interviews to agree with in terms of what he wants Irish teams to do, but a lot of the time none of this is evident on the pitch.

And yeah, no washed up English managers for me either. I like the Sinn Fein attitude coming from Kenny. I really want to see us succeed with mainly homegrown players with a mainly homegrown coaching team. It's a bit of a purist view but it's a challenge I think we should face face.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Until we have homegrown infrastructure and a competitive domestic league that produces players and managers that can succeed in international football, that’s a long way off. There have to be better options than a guy who was not won a single match and is utterly deluded about the trajectory of his great project.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Not sure what to expect out of this game now. I can't see any chance of a win. We ran them close on the scoreboard in Belgrade but really we were very much second best.

Probably the best we can hope for in our last four games is improved performances on the first set, but our two best performances were away to the top two teams and I don't see we have what it takes to step things up another gear. An Azerbaijan/Luxembourg-level performance would be ugly against Serbia though.

Team-wise - not sure it matters really; we're that weak. I think we should cap Kelleher because, like Bazunu, he'll likely be around for a while to come and should get competitive experience. Robinson up front because he has half an idea where the goal is, which is half an idea more than Idah/Connolly/Parrott at the moment. Agree with those who said Coleman was wasted in centre-back (3-4-3 against Azerbaijan opens up the question of why Clark/Lenihan were left at home even after we lost a centre-half to injury in Portugal)

Sometimes the darkest hour is just before the dawn, but I'm not seeing any reason for positivity out of this one.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 05/09/2021 at 4:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Home to this lot, I think a narrow defeat is the most likely outcome. A draw would be a good result, and a win is very unlikely. Granted, I'm currently demoralised enough to consider a win unlikely versus anyone better than East Timor, but I think I'm being objective in the above.

A thumping might be a good result if it sees Kenny finally run or pushed, and I don't like that I'm thinking like that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Until we have homegrown infrastructure and a competitive domestic league that produces players and managers that can succeed in international football, that’s a long way off. There have to be better options than a guy who was not won a single match and is utterly deluded about the trajectory of his great project.
    I remember an interview with Ray Houghton round about the time he was retiring from international football. He reminisced about the great times he had with Ireland but he did offer the opinion that Ireland will never be a real force until we improve our domestic league. That was some 20 years ago and nothing has changed, and as it stands, nothing ever will.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    It might help us find afew late bloomers but just like in most countries the very best will leave around 16-18 anyway.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Bar England away we haven’t lost a game by more than a goal so would expect this to be close atleast. Obviously being glum after yesterday it’s hard to see a positive result but then again I think we all said the same thing away to Portugal and we were less then 10 minutes away from beating them so who knows. I suspect Kenny had one eye on this game after the Portugal game so I suspect we might see a better performance and it wouldn’t surprise me we come out with a great performance similar to Portugal that no one expects.

As for my prediction I feel this could be the win we need as Serbia really are a box of chocolates but I feel we will be up for it and if it wasn’t for the Azerbaijan result I could see us having a big night and nicking it 2-1 but I think we will be down after yesterday and that may stop us from winning, I’ll go Ireland - 1 Serbia -1

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Hola. They were 7 defeats though. The only match we looked convincing was versus Slovakia until James McCarthy got injured by kick from behind from Hamsik. Then at parches. Against Bulgaria we were awful same as Finland. Shane Long and James McCarthy are two guys we shouldnt play without atm.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Coleman out. Another day, another injury.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast