Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Tuesday, 7th September 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Btw I checked the Bulgaria thread it was locked I was a little lost trying to find the actual post but if it's related to suggesting certain posters were ignoring things and inferring you as one of those happy to rescind any post suggesting so. I genuinely can't remember now what was said and wasn't following it going back through the last 5 pages.
    Posts 422, 424 and 425 were pretty clear - you overtly accused me of ignoring facts and labeled me as one of the "hard done by". It was spelt out clearly what you were being asked to either support or apologise for. Apologising now is better than nothing and I thank you for that, but you had ample opportunity to engage at the time and chose not to and unfortunately that's left a lasting impression and imho was pretty telling as to how you treat this forum.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    This team could be absolutely anything tonight. Kenny could reflect the team he played in the away version of this fixture which was a 3-5-2 - as distinct from the 3-4-3 that lined out Saturday.

Travers
    Well, Travers is injured, so straight off that's one team it couldn't be

Agree in general though. No idea what to expect. Serbia are off the back of a big win against Luxembourg (4-1) and really outplayed us for long spells in Belgrade, so I would be very wary of trying too much youth over experience here. Possibly the biggest selection issue tonight is Mitrovic, who's apparently struggling with injury. It'd be a huge boost to us if he were missing, but I suspect it's just pre-match posturing and he'll be fine.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Playing Arter would be madness. He's not a 'defensive midfielder' at all, he simply doesn't have the tactical discipline or temperament to play there. He's a box-to-box midfielder whose legs have gone, and is red card waiting to happen.

Why he's in the squad ahead of the likes of Kilkenny, Coventry and Doyle-Hayes is completely bewildering.

With half the campaign yet to play Kenny's created a situation where the rest of the matches are dead rubbers. I never thought we'd fall so far and so quickly.

Therefore we may as well give Kelleher, who'll be our number 1 long-term, game-time, play Omobamidele, give Manning a chance to show what he can do, try McGrath in a number 10 role and play Parrott in his favoured central position.

Sadly we've nothing to lose now.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Playing Arter would be madness. He's not a 'defensive midfielder' at all, he simply doesn't have the tactical discipline or temperament to play there. He's a box-to-box midfielder whose legs have gone, and is red card waiting to happen.

Why he's in the squad ahead of the likes of Kilkenny, Coventry and Doyle-Hayes is completely bewildering.

With half the campaign yet to play Kenny's created a situation where the rest of the matches are dead rubbers. I never thought we'd fall so far and so quickly.

Therefore we may as well give Kelleher, who'll be our number 1 long-term, game-time, play Omobamidele, give Manning a chance to show what he can do, try McGrath in a number 10 role and play Parrott in his favoured central position.

100% agree on arter, shouldn't be near the squad, I just have a sneaky feeling he start him, 100% as well on McGrath get him on the pitch
    Parrott was poor on Saturday, so I'm unsure on that one, but as u say we have nothing to lose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    I think there's always something to lose - a 4-0 battering would impact morale more than a 2-1 for example.

Coventry and Kilkenny in particular have done nothing to warrant a call-up. That's not to say Arter should start, but we can't just throw around random names and think that they'll slot into a game against Serbia without any impacts.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    100% agree on arter, shouldn't be near the squad, I just have a sneaky feeling he start him, 100% as well on McGrath get him on the pitch
    Parrott was poor on Saturday, so I'm unsure on that one, but as u say we have nothing to lose
    The Arter situation is strange - he is included in every squad but has he started under Kenny? once perhaps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Yep - Finland at home.

Also came on as a late sub against Andorra

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Connolly out with injury. A bit coincidental that he was hooked at HT the other day and his performance criticised but will take it at face value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Aaron Connolly injured now; Liam Scales and Cyrus Christie both in the matchday squad.

I guess this means Robinson up front. No harm - would have made that change anyway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I'll be "enjoying" this one on TV. Mrs Backstothewall is working so I've to stay home with the kids, but being spared 200 miles plus change of a round trip to watch Kenny's Ireland feels like a blessing at this stage. Of the 6 season ticket holders I usually go down with, only 2 haven't found an excuse to sidestep this one.
    Could anything more typify the fickle Irish football 'fan'? Only support the team when it's winning.
    Will be interesting to see how big/small the crowd is tonight. I suspect a draw after a 'hard fought' effort from the Irish lads. The Kenny saga will rumble on.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Just seen the matchday squad there. Is it possible we'll be starting the 1 to 11? I think England did it the other night. That would be;
    Bazunu
    Doherty - Duffy - Egan - Manning
    Cullen
    Browne - Hourihane
    Parrott - Idah - McClean

Considering Manning has been playing in a back 3 for club that could also be a 3-5-2 with McLean and Doherty wing backs

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    It's another switch in formation is the downside I guess. Three at the back in the last two games, which surprised me against Azerbaijan, but it seems against Serbia we'll need to be a bit more defensive than on Saturday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It's another switch in formation is the downside I guess. Three at the back in the last two games, which surprised me against Azerbaijan, but it seems against Serbia we'll need to be a bit more defensive than on Saturday.
    If its only switching between two formations depending on a top 2 or bottom 2/3 seeds then its not really an issue. If its changing formation more often and/or personnel then it is as it still shows hes not sure what his best formation and lineup is. It makes sense to use the space against Serbia as they'' be going down the middle a lot and packing out the midfield, their midfield is their strongest area. Bypass it or go around it a 3-5-2 makes sense then, that and the fact we dont have anyone really capable of getting on the ball behind the forwards and dictating the play.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think there's always something to lose - a 4-0 battering would impact morale more than a 2-1 for example.

Coventry and Kilkenny in particular have done nothing to warrant a call-up. That's not to say Arter should start, but we can't just throw around random names and think that they'll slot into a game against Serbia without any impacts.
    Arter hasn't started a league match this year - I'm not talking about this season, but the entire calendar year of 2021!

And you say Kilkenny and Coventry, two promising young players whose careers are in the ascendency and who've done well for the U-21 side have 'done nothing to warrant a call-up'. You think Arter has? And Doyle-Hayes' form has been good for 12 months now.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you accuse be of 'throwing around random names', I would consider the players I mentioned as viable alternatives.

And of course you could say many of the current squad don't 'warrant a call up', but you can only pick from what you can pick from. Some of the players named, like Arter, Molumby and Christie have played no first-team football at all this season.

I take your point about a hammering damaging confidence, but I don't expect that to happen.

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Sky sports reporting hourihane duffy and idah starting and mitrovic starting for Serbia.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    I did say "that's not to say Arter should start", and indeed there's a case that we've said for others (McGeady) that League One isn't really a suitable standard and I wouldn't be too bothered if Arter weren't in the squad. I'd be quite happy in fact to leave our all our third tier players until they were at a decent level. But we are where we are.

But Conor Coventry has started five league games ever, and they were in the third tier 18 months ago, and he was subbed off in two of those. Kilkenny has started four league games ever. Are they really worth an inclusion over Arter? Are they really viable alternatives? I don't think they've shown anything to indicate they are.

Yes, that means that - given we have really few options elsewhere - I'm arguing Arter is still worth a call-up. That's an indication really of just how bad our squad is. Putting in worse players won't improve that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Arter hasn't started a league match this year - I'm not talking about this season, but the entire calendar year of 2021!

And you say Kilkenny and Coventry, two promising young players whose careers are in the ascendency and who've done well for the U-21 side have 'done nothing to warrant a call-up'. You think Arter has? And Doyle-Hayes' form has been good for 12 months now.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you accuse be of 'throwing around random names', I would consider the players I mentioned as viable alternatives.

And of course you could say many of the current squad don't 'warrant a call up', but you can only pick from what you can pick from. Some of the players named, like Arter, Molumby and Christie have played no first-team football at all this season.

I take your point about a hammering damaging confidence, but I don't expect that to happen.
    I think his point is that young lads are just that, young lads, prospects thats all they are. If the other lads who are already in there and were the cream of the underage and theyre not doing anything then whats the point in picking others who are likely to contribute even less and take up an extra spot. Arter might be in there for experience in training and other stuff like that, i thought i saw brady yesterday in training. Horses for courses
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Kenny is speaking out both sides of his mouth and is all over the place. I heard him talking on the radio today, asking did people expect us to qualify for the World Cup, we haven't qualified for one since 2002 and then saying he's building a squad for 2024. I think very few people expected us to qualify for the World Cup but who would have predicted we'd be joint last and effectively out of qualification after 2 games? If he was just going for youngsters and attempting to build, that would be one thing but that clearly is not what he has been doing. Most of his reign has reminded me of the Staunton era and his laughable excuses are definitely in line with that time. Staunton thought he shouldn't have been sacked and that he was building for the future. He was pointing out drawing with Germany and home, only losing 1-0 away, drawing with Czech Republic, beating Slovakia and games like that as a defense. He didn't mention the embarrassing results, same as with Kenny.

As for tonight, in one way I agree, we should be just giving youngsters a go but on the other hand, these players are being damaged by this set up. I hope they're protected from it until we get a competent manager in charge. In more similarities to the Stan era, I think we'll see a bounce back from an awful display. Possibly getting a draw.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I accept you wouldn't start Arter, but if your point is that Kenny's sensibly going ​for experienced options then that argument rather falls down when you consider how he's not picked Randolph, Williams, Lenihan and has several times left Shane Long out of squads, to name a few.

How many league games has Omobamidele started? And yet he was thrown into the deep end against Portugal in a position, central defence, where experience should count for even more than midfield. Where's the consistency?

Would, for example, Randolph not offer useful experience to the youthful trio of goalkeepers Kenny called upon?

Kenny's (new) line seems to be that we should never have expected to compete in this group and that he's building for Euro '24.

With that in mind, if Arter's not going to play and is only there as cover why not go for more youthful options who can gain vital experience along the way. Maybe Kilkenny and Coventry aren't good enough, maybe they never will be. Who knows? Like you say, we're desperate, however when a player's career is in sharp decline, as is the case with Arter, and, sad to say McClean, who now have little to offer us, I personally would go for the youthful option in the hopes that they one day might be.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I'm trying to remember the last time we had an essentially 'no stakes' competitive international... germany away with Noel King?

25. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast