Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Tuesday, 7th September 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Coleman out. Another day, another injury.
    Another day, another excuse.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    since the qualies are all over, were over I think after the Serbia game and the Lux scandal, the players will play for the manager on tuesday to save his job, that is the reality of it-

He made some progress but the results are not good, we cant progress without something to cheer up, players are down, so we are gonna see if they have some football and spirit responses to save the manager's job

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    my team for serbia is similar

kelleher or bazunu

obomamidele duffy egan

doherty cullen hendrick Manning

mcgrath /robinson

idah robinson / collins

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Coleman out. Another day, another injury.
    3 games is such a short period of time for Countries with small playing pools is pretty much impossible.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Injured:

Travers

Coleman
    O’Shea
    Collins
    Stevens

McCarthy
    Knight
    Byrne

O’Dowda
    Long
    Ogbene

-
    Is this a better side than the one that will play on Tuesday? For the lads who really don’t rate Byrne, you can swap for Smallbone

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    3 games is such a short period of time for Countries with small playing pools is pretty much impossible.
    I disagree. It's possible if you are smart about it.

Coleman is a player who has had trouble with injuries in recent years. 3 games in a week was always likely to be too much for him. The obvious thing to do was save him for the 2 tougher opponents, and play someone else against Azerbaijan.

He shouldn't have been anywhere near that game.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    What's the revised squad?
    Bazunu, Kelleher, Talbot;
    Doherty, Christie, Duffy, Egan, Omabamidele, Manning, McClean, Scales;
    Cullen, Molumby, McGrath, Hendrick, Hourihane, Arter;
    Parrott, Idah, Robinson, Connolly, Collins, Horgan, Curtis;

In me eyes, we've simply got to persist with Idah, Connolly and Parrott, while Robinson absolutely deserves his place in the side. To do that, we've to drop the back 3 and go flat. Duffy is the man for Mitrovic. Group being over or not, there will be plenty of chances for Kelleher again in the future. Right now Bazunu has the jersey, and deserves to keep it. If Doherty is fit then he has to start. I can't bear the idea of McClean starting at lb, so Manning should start. McGrath deserves to build on his solid showing in faro.

---------- Bazunu --
    Doherty Duffy Egan Manning
    ------- Cullen - McGrath
    ----------- Parrott ---
    -- Robinson Idah Connolly --

I wouldn't be surprised to Hendrick come back in, he seems to have settled on a back 3 & wingbacks, Doherty is wrecked, and McClean will probably keep his spot.
    What I'd expect to see - truth be told I've no bloody clue what to expect to see:

----------------------- Bazunu --
    ----- Omabamidele -- Duffy ---- Egan --
    - Christie ------------ Cullen ----------- McClean -
    ---------------------- Hendrick --------------------
    ---- Idah ------------ Collins --------- Robinson --
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I disagree. It's possible if you are smart about it.

Coleman is a player who has had trouble with injuries in recent years. 3 games in a week was always likely to be too much for him. The obvious thing to do was save him for the 2 tougher opponents, and play someone else against Azerbaijan.

He shouldn't have been anywhere near that game.
    I agree with you. It absolutely should be possible.
    And you've a very fair point about Coleman.

Would you humour me and mention what team you'd have picked for Azerbaijan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    A 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond

GK: Kelleher
    RWB: Christie
    CB: Duffy
    CB: Egan
    LWB: Manning
    DM Cullen
    CM: McGrath
    CM: Hourihane
    AM: Robinson
    CF: Idah
    CF: Parrott

Wingback is a really tough job. Both Doherty and Coleman should have been rested for Tuesday. I don't see much difference in our midfield options, but set pieces were always likely to be important so McGrath and Hourihane.

My plan would be to have the wing backs push up, and try to get the front 5 in front of the ball as often as possible.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes now of course.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    A 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond

GK: Kelleher
    LWB: Manning
    DM Cullen
    CM: Hourihane
    AM: Robinson
    CF: Idah
    CF: Parrott

Wingback is a really tough job. Both Doherty and Coleman should have been rested for Tuesday. I don't see much difference in our midfield options, but set pieces were always likely to be important so McGrath and Hourihane.

My plan would be to have the wing backs push up, and try to get the front 5 in front of the ball as often as possible.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes now of course.
    Thanks for going to that trouble, appreciated. I like that side, despite having no time for Hourihane in our side, but it's a positive ambitious team. It might ask a lot of Cullen covering the two wing-backs (and you make a clear distinction there).

So, based on the above, you'd have had Christie in the squad from the get go, instead of who, again purely out of interest? I can't remember who's set on which formation - but you'd have played a 3 at the back vs Portugal, or a flat 4 too?

And as you've referred to in the post that prompted my request above, it's planning in advance (taking account of the 3 games/7 days discussion) which means there's an idea of the team might line up ideally per match.
    So going into tonight's match, can I assume you'd have reverted back to a back-3 with Coleman and Doherty. and you'd have dropped McGrath for Serbia allowing for the exertion of expecting him to play 3 almost full games in a row, again with who to rotate in?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    we are gonna play again 3 at the back vs Serbia he is gonna try to save his neck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Kenny has come out swinging in his presser today apparently. Some of the names being bamdied around to replace him make me sad. Either someone with no managerial experience to absolute dinosaurs who would want a very hefty payday.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post

And as you've referred to in the post that prompted my request above, it's planning in advance (taking account of the 3 games/7 days discussion) which means there's an idea of the team might line up ideally per match.
    So going into tonight's match, can I assume you'd have reverted back to a back-3 with Coleman and Doherty. and you'd have dropped McGrath for Serbia allowing for the exertion of expecting him to play 3 almost full games in a row, again with who to rotate in?
    I broadly liked the team against Portugal. I think 3 at the back suits us against stronger opponents. But playing it in Dublin against a team who are going to sit back and see if we can break them open is effectively giving them an extra man.

I would have had Christie in the original squad, but it wouldn't have been instead of anyone. It would have been as well as the ones who were called up. I said somewhere way back in this thread that I thought a big O'Neill style squad was necessary.

And I'm not saying it's impossible for anyone to play 3 games in a week, but wingback is a physically demanding role, and things get tougher over 30. For the centre backs or young lads like Cullen or McGrath it's entirely possible to play all 3.

For Serbia I would have gone back to the 3 at the back. The exact selection would be dependent on who was still available, and there's a certain amount of butterfly effect to be considered. But on the basis of performances we've had in real life, something like...

GK: Bazunu
    CB: Coleman
    LWB: Doherty
    DM Cullen
    CM: Hendrick
    LW: Connolly
    CF: Idah/Parrott
    RW: Robinson

Could make an argument for Omobamidele instead of Christie. I'm happy to admit that I'm a fan of Christie, but that would be my general plan.

18. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    i think Serbia is gonna play counter attack

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    Kenny has come out swinging in his presser today apparently. Some of the names being bamdied around to replace him make me sad. Either someone with no managerial experience to absolute dinosaurs who would want a very hefty payday.
    Any link
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Any link
    Just going of journalists on twitter
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I broadly liked the team against Portugal. I think 3 at the back suits us against stronger opponents. But playing it in Dublin against a team who are going to sit back and see if we can break them open is effectively giving them an extra man.

I would have had Christie in the original squad, but it wouldn't have been instead of anyone. It would have been as well as the ones who were called up. I said somewhere way back in this thread that I thought a big O'Neill style squad was necessary.

And I'm not saying it's impossible for anyone to play 3 games in a week, but wingback is a physically demanding role, and things get tougher over 30. For the centre backs or young lads like Cullen or McGrath it's entirely possible to play all 3.

For Serbia I would have gone back to the 3 at the back. The exact selection would be dependent on who was still available, and there's a certain amount of butterfly effect to be considered. But on the basis of performances we've had in real life, something like...

GK: Bazunu
    CB: Coleman
    LWB: Doherty
    DM Cullen
    CM: Hendrick
    LW: Connolly
    CF: Idah/Parrott
    RW: Robinson

Could make an argument for Omobamidele instead of Christie. I'm happy to admit that I'm a fan of Christie, but that would be my general plan.
    Thanks for this, and going to the time of answering questions directly, really appreciate it.
    very clear direction there. Fully understand the 'butterfly effect' reference, none of us can mitigate for circumstances beyond our control.

Not a fan of Christie myself, but I'm honest enough to say that a lot of that is down to being ****ed at him being played centre midfield by O'Neill. He has attributes that I'd agree are welcome in a wing-back role. Out of respect, I won't debate some of your choices, I've said plenty before.

'Enjoy' the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Thanks for this, and going to the time of answering questions directly, really appreciate it.
    very clear direction there. Fully understand the 'butterfly effect' reference, none of us can mitigate for circumstances beyond our control.

Not a fan of Christie myself, but I'm honest enough to say that a lot of that is down to being ****ed at him being played centre midfield by O'Neill. He has attributes that I'd agree are welcome in a wing-back role. Out of respect, I won't debate some of your choices, I've said plenty before.

'Enjoy' the game.
    I'll be "enjoying" this one on TV. Mrs Backstothewall is working so I've to stay home with the kids, but being spared 200 miles plus change of a round trip to watch Kenny's Ireland feels like a blessing at this stage. Of the 6 season ticket holders I usually go down with, only 2 haven't found an excuse to sidestep this one.

24. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'll be "enjoying" this one on TV. Mrs Backstothewall is working so I've to stay home with the kids, but being spared 200 miles plus change of a round trip to watch Kenny's Ireland feels like a blessing at this stage. Of the 6 season ticket holders I usually go down with, only 2 haven't found an excuse to sidestep this one.
    As bad and all as Saturday was it was so good to be back, I didnt realise I'd missed it that much. And its certainly a lot easier to watch than on TV. That and my mate living 10 mins walk from the stadium helped!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    We should be going with the same shape & personnel as possible from the Portugal game.

Omobamidele in for the injured DOS and I'd go with Christie for Coleman because of his pace and the fact he's not James McClean.

No Parrott or Molumby with Hendrick and McGrath coming back in.

The only unenforced change I'd like to see to from the Portugal XI is Robinson in for Connolly.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast