Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: U23 Players 2021-22

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Apologies if already mentioned, however just seen this. Great opportunity to break through if that is the case - as midfield is currently our weakest position. Also, encouraging given the experience that Lage and his brother (brought in for Youth Development) have of developing young players such as half the Man City team who started at Benfica (Silva, Dias, Ederson etc..)…

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/under-...ves-under-23s/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    On the under 23 scene, Oliver O'Neill of Fulham that was called up to the under 21 side- anyone know anything about the basis for the call up? Has he been ripping it up at that level or another level for Ireland? I just ask because I hear a lot about Moran and Ferguson but I've heard little about him but the name.
    Wrote a big long yoke and it deleted.

He was excellent for the 17s in the team with Moran, Ferguson etc.

Liamo was complimentary of him at 16s as well.

Primarily a left winger, quick, silky, very slight, right footed, can cut in from the left to curl one from the edge of the box, skilful, he’s got a gallop, it’s impressive but it’ll probably need to be refined as he moves up the levels. Easy to push the ball 10 yards in front of you and sprint at u18s. Plenty of talent and skill. Stood out at u18 level, was quickly moved to 23s where he took a while to adapt. Disappeared off the radar a bit recently maybe cause of Covid. I’ve seen him much more than Moran although Moran is widely considered the more promising player.

For 2003, I’d say it goes

1. Garcia McNulty
    2. Finn
    3. Moran
    4. Rose

Then you’ve got the next group which is probably

O’Neill, Lawal, L Kavanagh, Ibrahim, Armstrong, Tayo, maybe Graham Kavanagh’s kid Callum....

There’s also a load of decent LOI lads: Ben McCormack, Gavin Liam O’Brien, Cian Kavanagh, Johnny Kenny, Josh Keeley, Oran Crowe is highly though of at Cork I believe but I haven’t seen him play...

Saying all that, Liam Delap, Louie Barry and Conor Bradley would probably be 1, 2 and 3 on the list if they were playing for us.

For anyone who doesn’t know: Delap is Rory’s kid and is on the fringe of Man City’s first team at 18, Louie Barry is on the fringes of the Villa team and scored a great goal against Liverpool in the cup. He had irish grandparents and he was very closed to his grandfather who lived in Kerry. His grandfather watched him play u16s for ireland but has now passed. He’s mentioned the possibility of electing to play for ireland in the future but he’s currently an England U18. Finally Bradley is a GAA playing lad from a catholic background in Tyrone who is a Liverpool reserve. Played some games for the first team in preseason this summer. He played once for the NI senior team in June and was called into the current squad this month. He’ll be ineligible once he reaches 4 caps.
    Last edited by elatedscum; 29/08/2021 at 2:41 AM.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    It's a shame that Bradley has gone with the North, obviously they have seen the danger and called him into the senior squad at a very early stage to tie him down and he has gone with it. Given that he has taken a senior cap, which makes it a lot harder to switch (3 year wait from last senior cap so he couldn't play for us until 2024 now), it's very unlikely he will end up with us now.

Unfortunately there is no way we could make a similar offer to him, even in our current weakened state there would be far too many ahead of him to justify it. An under 21 call up would have been the best we could do.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post

1. Garcia McNulty
    2. Finn
    3. Moran
    4. Rose

O’Neill, Lawal, L Kavanagh, Ibrahim, Armstrong, Tayo, maybe Graham Kavanagh’s kid Callum....

There’s also a load of decent LOI lads: Ben McCormack, Gavin Liam O’Brien, Cian Kavanagh, Johnny Kenny, Josh Keeley, Oran Crowe is highly though of at Cork I believe but I haven’t seen him play...
    Wher would Sean Roughan sit among the 03 group? He was flying this time last year with Lincoln, even started a few games for their first team but seems to have gone back a bit since maybe?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Wrote a big long yoke and it deleted.

He was excellent for the 17s in the team with Moran, Ferguson etc.

Liamo was complimentary of him at 16s as well.

Primarily a left winger, quick, silky, very slight, right footed, can cut in from the left to curl one from the edge of the box, skilful, he’s got a gallop, it’s impressive but it’ll probably need to be refined as he moves up the levels. Easy to push the ball 10 yards in front of you and sprint at u18s. Plenty of talent and skill. Stood out at u18 level, was quickly moved to 23s where he took a while to adapt. Disappeared off the radar a bit recently maybe cause of Covid. I’ve seen him much more than Moran although Moran is widely considered the more promising player.

1. Garcia McNulty
    2. Finn
    3. Moran
    4. Rose

Saying all that, Liam Delap, Louie Barry and Conor Bradley would probably be 1, 2 and 3 on the list if they were playing for us.

For anyone who doesn’t know: Delap is Rory’s kid and is on the fringe of Man City’s first team at 18, Louie Barry is on the fringes of the Villa team and scored a great goal against Liverpool in the cup. He had irish grandparents and he was very closed to his grandfather who lived in Kerry. His grandfather watched him play u16s for ireland but has now passed. He’s mentioned the possibility of electing to play for ireland in the future but he’s currently an England U18. Finally Bradley is a GAA playing lad from a catholic background in Tyrone who is a Liverpool reserve. Played some games for the first team in preseason this summer. He played once for the NI senior team in June and was called into the current squad this month. He’ll be ineligible once he reaches 4 caps.
    Great info thanks. Covid has been a nightmare for these age groups been nearly 2 years since we have had a chance to see underage sides at international level.

I don't think o neill deserves to be in the 21s on what he has achieved but he looked a fine player at16s level. Lads like conor grant and kian leavy surely deserve to be ahead of him. Not a good sign seeing no okoflex its a real loss to is certainly at this level

Hard to understand how lads like Bradley don't choose us but we had a very similar situation with mcloughlin when he was right full for Liverpool 23s and stayed with the North. Bradley was a box to box midfielder when I saw him underage but the pool have obviously converted him to full back.

Louie Barry is on loan with ipswich at a similar age to what partott was when he signed for ipswich so will be interesting to see how he gets on. To me Barry was a finisher and live wire but parrott was a superior footballer.

Riley from man City played in the 16s side along with Barry not sure how much he has progressed at city .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Riley captained the city u23's yesterday, they beat United's U23 side 4-2, and he was named in England's U19 squad this week
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Riley captained the city u23's yesterday, they beat United's U23 side 4-2, and he was named in England's U19 squad this week
    That sounds about right I didn't think he was great for us!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Goal for Evan Ferguson against Liverpool, assisted by Andrew Moran: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...rpool-v-albion

Gabriel Adebambo credited with an assist for Stoke in their defeat to Reading: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...-u23-v-reading

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Lee O'Connor has gone back to Tranmere for another season:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58396687

Better than hanging around the Celtic reserves.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    O'Connor will have more work to do to get starts at Tranmere this time around with Dacres-Cogley there playing right back. Hopefully that might see O'Connor move position into more of a holding midfielder, I don't think he offers enough going forward to make it as a modern day full back unfortunately, but as a defensive midfielder protecting the back 3 or 4 he has always impressed me.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Overall I think a decent transfer window in terms of our Under 23 players getting moves and loans to get game time. Molumby and Coventry getting loan moves to Championship teams in the last week was definitely good news. Would have liked to see Idah and Omobamidele go out on loan but Omobamidele is still only 19 so plenty of time for him. Idah will struggle for minutes at Norwich though.

The other player who notably didn't move is Luca Connell, yet again. Hasn't even made the bench yet this season as his Celtic move from Bolton's first team continues to look like one of the worst transfers of an Irish player there has ever been.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Mazeed Ogunbo was named in the Arsenal U21 starting XI on Tuesday night against Swindon in the FA Trophy, his first start in senior football
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Isn’t Henry-Francis one of ours too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Isn’t Henry-Francis one of ours too?
    Not sure if he's actually declared yet, but he was in the U19 training camp recently: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-...ing-camp-in-uk

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Armstrong Okoflex scored the winner from the spot in the EFL trophy against Ipswich: https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...am-united-u21s

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Younger lads playing in the EFL Cup tonight. Not necessarily all playing in the under 23 league but I thought it was worth capturing here:
    Nathan Collins starting against Rochdale (Eoghan O'Connell, Jimmy Keohane and Corey O'Keeffe starting them);
    Idah is starting for Norwich up front against Liverpool. It looks like Omobamidele is playing midfield with Billy Gilmour because Hanley and Gibson are both starting and they have two full backs starting too. Conor Bradley of NI starts full back for Liverpool;
    I see Adam O'Reilly has made the bench for Preston against Cheltenham. Don't think he has seen any action this season- even on the bench?;
    Jimmy Dunne is starting for QPR against Everton;
    Baba Adeeko is on the bench for Wigan. Don't think I have encountered his name before. 18 year-old from Galway it seems.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Oliver O'Neill is on bench for Fulham v Leeds too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It looks like Omobamidele is playing midfield with Billy Gilmour because Hanley and Gibson are both starting and they have two full backs starting too.
    Playing with three CBs. He's not in midfield.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Couple of quick updates from last night: Andrew Moran scored and James Furlong was credited with an assist in Brighton's win against Leicester: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...on-v-leicester

George Nunn scored one of Chelsea's four and created one of the others against Liverpool: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...ea-v-liverpool

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Ryan Cassidy scored a penalty for Watford U23s last week, played after a couple on the bench as he returns from a lost year and an Accrington loan which started ok but tapered off.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast