Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Portugal V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 1st Sep 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Good spot, I don't anybody else remarked upon Idah's hold-up play last night. And in case Idah doesn't identify other areas to work upon, why not send him a message with a list.
    It was also evident in Hungary and evidently missing in his first few caps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Jesus lads, we'd have a great 7 a side game between us, or a battle royale style non-celebrity deathmatch.

The pro-progressives vs the Anti-Kennyites. :-)
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Do you feel SK playing Idah in previous games when he wasn't as impressive as last night would have been important in his international development, leading to last nights performance ? Or would you deem these unconnected coincidental matters ?
    Its fairly clear from the article, that the coaching staff, strikers meeting participation identified some key areas of improvement to work on for Idah, it sounds like they had identified the issues and solutions to those issues. Its only one game to go on but Wednesday night showed huge improvements, his first touch was much better as he had the upper strength to hold off pepe and others on occasion allowing him control the ball better, even compared to the Hungary game before the summer break, so the evidence is light but it suggests from that game its been a very effective plan from the coaching staff at Norwich. Were they watching his Ireland games? I'm sure they were but more importantly they were seeing him day in day out at Norwich.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I remember thinking, at the time, a bit like connolly and the Portugese defenders that their social distancing was giving our front two a lot of space and time to be more effective than they should be by getting on the ball - but that piece of strength to hold one of the best and hardier defenders in Europe and take the touch away was sublime. I'm sure the staff at Norwich involved in his pre-season regime had a few nice messages to themselves watching that! Lets hope they work on his finishing next : D
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Its fairly clear from the article, that the coaching staff, strikers meeting participation identified some key areas of improvement to work on for Idah, it sounds like they had identified the issues and solutions to those issues. Its only one game to go on but Wednesday night showed huge improvements, his first touch was much better as he had the upper strength to hold off pepe and others on occasion allowing him control the ball better, even compared to the Hungary game before the summer break, so the evidence is light but it suggests from that game its been a very effective plan from the coaching staff at Norwich. Were they watching his Ireland games? I'm sure they were but more importantly they were seeing him day in day out at Norwich.
    Your language is clear. His Norwich coaches are getting the credit for this sudden improvement in his ability. Ok - but no credit to the Irish management for selecting him 12 months, and giving him the lead-in to almost 10 caps which is about halfway towards the point where a young pro is expected to become comfortable in the international setting?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I remember thinking, at the time, a bit like connolly and the Portugese defenders that their social distancing was giving our front two a lot of space and time to be more effective than they should be by getting on the ball - but that piece of strength to hold one of the best and hardier defenders in Europe and take the touch away was sublime. I'm sure the staff at Norwich involved in his pre-season regime had a few nice messages to themselves watching that! Lets hope they work on his finishing next : D
    You actually can't help yourself!

Yesterday, our players were criticised for giving Ronaldo too much space. Today and last night I guess, you're not giving the credit to Connolly for getting himself free of shackles due to "social distancing".

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Himself and Connolly have had a similar number of caps for Ireland, we've had no talk from him about working on areas of improvement or tailoring things for his improvement. We can only go from first hand information really. Its a bit early to suggest a massive difference, but going on the last night Idah has improved massively in a couple of months compared to Connolly, both have been selected. What's your point? Are you trying to suggest that by picking him somehow that's brought about massive improvement - even though we havent seen any with Connolly?

Bringing young players in is great, giving them a chance, but if its to the detriment of qualification then I don't agree with it especially if they arent improving at club level which is usually the key indicator for performance improvement.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    You actually can't help yourself!

Yesterday, our players were criticised for giving Ronaldo too much space. Today and last night I guess, you're not giving the credit to Connolly for getting himself free of shackles due to "social distancing".
    No I'd put it down to Portugal having a serious disregard for our team. Playing 4/5 forwards from the start showed that! THey clearly didn't rate us especially going forward, marking was very slack generally sadly we couldnt leave egg on their face.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Playing four or five forwards shows absolutely nothing. That's how they play. Four or five forwards is their MO. Disregard shown to World Champs France during the Euros by featuring Ronaldo, Jota, Moutinho and Silva in the starting lineup? Also to Germany, where Ronaldo, Jota, Fernandes and Silva all started, with Moutinho, Rafa Silva and Andre Silva coming off the bench?

Typing for the sake of typing at this stage Paul.
    May I hoke a reek?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I think one reason we found space and found it far easier to feed the front two was because of our building up from the back or Doc beating his first man as the deep build up draws their press. It’s risky and nerve wracking but that’s the purpose imho.

I think it’s been clear to all what Idah needed to improve. In his first few caps the ball never stuck when played forward. His second half in Hungary showed improvement and Wednesday was better still. It’s Norwich’s day job to improve young players but game time in international football offers a learning curve to climb up too.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 03/09/2021 at 12:32 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    Playing four or five forwards shows absolutely nothing. That's how they play. Four or five forwards is their MO. Disregard shown to World Champs France during the Euros by featuring Ronaldo, Jota, Moutinho and Silva in the starting lineup? Also to Germany, where Ronaldo, Jota, Fernandes and Silva all started, with Moutinho, Rafa Silva and Andre Silva coming off the bench?

Typing for the sake of typing at this stage Paul.
    Fair enough I was a bit lazy should have said attacking players. The lineups I thought were like this and it's certainly a lot more attack minded, given the possession they had they believed it would come off adding in Silva coming on too

4 defenders, 1 defensive midfielder and 5 attacking midfielders / attackers IRELAND game

4 defenders, 1 defensive midfielder 2 midfielders and 3 attackers FRANCE game

4 defenders, 2 defensive midfielder and 4 attacking midfielders / attackers GERMANY game

Against France they didn't have much choice and still went more defensivelh..
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    In international football ALL that matters is the result. Especially in qualifying.
    I don't think even you believe this. We both know that if Ireland play atrociously tomorrow, but fluke an 89th minute winner off someone's backside, you will be the very one who will be back here savaging the performance and the manager (again). You certainly wont be saying "well thats ok, cos all that matters is the result". As usual, you will go with what suits your agenda. Play well, but lose - only the result matters. Play badly but sneak a win - what a terrible performance - Kenny must go.

I wont deny Kennys results have been poor so far, but he is rebuilding the team and it takes time. I think we have quite a few promising players coming through now, and things will get better.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think one reason we found space and found it far easier to feed the front two was because of our building up from the back or Doc beating his first man as the deep build up draws their press. It’s risky and nerve wracking but that’s the purpose imho.

I think it’s been clear to all what Idah needed to improve. In his first few caps the ball never stuck when played forward. His second half in Hungary showed improvement and Wednesday was better still. It’s Norwich’s day job to improve young players but game time in international football offers a learning curve to climb up too.
    Lots of things are clear to lots of people, any good manager or coach in any walk of lifes job is to rectify and improve that in their subordinates.

Of course, you need to crack a few eggs to make an omelette. Just dont crack my eggs.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Some context: Kenny's home Luxembourg defeat is widely accepted to be the worst defeat in Ireland's entire footballing history.

Luxembourg are ranked 96 in the world; Azerbaijan are rated at 112.

Let that sink in.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Thread locked and archived
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031