Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Portugal V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 1st Sep 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts

Bazunu, Kelleher, Travers (3)

Coleman, Doherty, Egan, O'Shea, Manning, McClean, Omobamidele, Collins, Duffy (9)

Cullen, Hendrick, Hourihane, Molumby, Arter, McGrath (6)

Parrott, Connolly, Idah, Horgan, Long, Curtis, Collins (7)
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 26/08/2021 at 3:07 PM. Reason: Embedded tweet

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    That's a squad that screams 3-5-2 or 3-4-3.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Kilkenny not called up, and Arter keeps his place despite playing reserve football for Notts Forest. That is my major criticism. Other than that it is a reasonable squad selection given current pool of talent. There are some who may argue for the inclusion of some LOI or league one players, but I personally wouldn’t get too worked up over this

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Randolph the obvious omission - didn't think he was injured? Is this a sign his international career is over?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Randolph the obvious omission - didn't think he was injured? Is this a sign his international career is over?
    It could well be.I believe he is fit. He is 3rd choice at West Ham with no consistent first team football in 2 years. I like the call, time to embrace the new generation. Bazunu and Travers are starters and doing well. Randolph is 36 for next qualifiers and has done nothing at club level to command selection.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    It could well be.I believe he is fit. He is 3rd choice at West Ham with no consistent first team football in 2 years. I like the call, time to embrace the new generation. Bazunu and Travers are starters and doing well. Randolph is 36 for next qualifiers and has done nothing at club level to command selection.
    You’d imagine that if Randolph really wanted to be the Irish number one, that he would have been looking for a loan move.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    I think I’d personally have Randolph over Travers...

Beyond that, Ciaran Clark is probably a bit unlucky to not be ahead of one or both of the two young centre halves, given he’s played 2/3 of Newcastle’s games so far.

In terms of midfielders, Alan Browne maybe? Think he missed a few games due to close contact isolation but is back now.

It’s possibly LA Galaxy are refusing to release Williams

Can’t really argue with McCarthy, Brady, Byrne given their lack of playing time.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status...548362/photo/1

Bazunu, Kelleher, Travers (3)

Coleman, Doherty, Egan, O'Shea, Manning, McClean, Omobamidele, Collins, Duffy (9)

Cullen, Hendrick, Hourihane, Molumby, Arter, McGrath (6)

Parrott, Connolly, Idah, Horgan, Long, Curtis, Collins (7)
    It's the worst midfield in the history of irish professional soccer. Jesus christ it will be a long weekend

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I think, as others have said, there's nothing too controversial, Kilkenny and Browne behind Arter/Molumby is probably most controversial. Arter and Molumby only playing under 23 while Kilkenny has been getting a lot of praise for first team performances, not sure about Browne, would have expected him in the squad if he's available. I suppose picking Kilkenny over one of the more experienced players takes another bit of experience out of an already very inexperienced squad. I thought Elbouzedi might have sneaked in and possibly Anthony Scully or Aiden O'Brien seeing as they both got hattricks mid-week.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Think it was said that Alan Browne was a close contact and can be involved yet.

Kilkenny is a bit light for me, preferably would need a full season under his belt before consideration, but yeah there're only weak arguments for those selected ahead of him.
    Last edited by ifk101; 26/08/2021 at 1:12 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Interesting squad. A squad that recognises that we have to win at least 2 of these games and also that throwing rookies in to play Portugal could be humiliating. I'm a bit underwhelmed by Arter > Kilkenny, but excited by McGrath's inclusion. Otherwise not too fussed about Scales, M. Duffy or other LOI or L1 guys not making it. If fit I'd like to have seen Ogbene keep his place and I was half hoping Scully would make it.

Best thing is to see McGrath, Omobamidele and Nathan Collins in the squad. I'm quite excited by the 3 young goalkeepers and am glad Randolph is being phased out. Goalkeeper is an area where we can afford to invest for the future now, especially with Randolph not playing club football. Forward options are a mix of young and old and it'll be interesting to see who SK trusts most.

Deep down I think we all know that qualification is already highly unlikely so the objective now is to gradually introduce younger players while preserving dignity results-wise, with the hope to surprise on the upside.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Randolph should have stayed at Boro.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Randolph should have stayed at Boro.
    I can think of 2 million reasons a year why he might disagree with you!

Is two wins the aim here? Portugal is presumably a write off. I can see him trying to spin it as a positive if we beat Azerbaijan and draw with Serbia. One win and two defeats harder, maybe impossible even, to put a positive slant on.

Any combination of results that doesn't involve winning at least one game out of the three will surely signal the end...
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    It's the worst midfield in the history of irish professional soccer. Jesus christ it will be a long weekend
    Very true. Maybe they are looking at manning as a potential defensive midfielder given his performances as the middle man in a back three at swansea( did any one on here ever see that as a potential position for manning?)

Curtis collins(the cardiff one) and horgan are horribly sub standard for this level and how is arter involved ? I'd certainly have taken kilkenny or scully or obafemi over any of these. Obafemi coming on with 20 minutes to go needing a goal would give me much more hope than any of those other 4 coming on.

Great decision on Randolph great servant but we need to move on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    No james mccarthy - perhaps not fully fit. Also a bit surprised to see Long get in. Very weak looking centre midfield... I can't see what Hourihane would offer versus Portugal but he is likely to start I guess due to lack of alternatives. Perhaps Jeff gets another go...

5-3-2 / 5-3-1-1 i guess.

Bazunu
    Coleman, Egan, Duffy, O'Shea, Doherty
    Molumby, Cullen, Hourihane/Hendrick
    2 of Parrott/Idah/Connolly

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Is two wins the aim here?
    I would be delighted with two wins, given the only team we've beaten in the last 14 is Andorra.

Portugal away is a write-off. Serbia in Belgrade were technically far superior to us, even though it was one of our best performances under Kenny, and I'm not sure anything's really happened to reduce that gap. Azerbaijan have a poor record and no stand-out players - but then neither did Luxembourg and we saw what happened there.

1 or 3 points the most likely outcome for me I think.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    agreed...its 1 or 3 posits, my guess is 1

I don't agree with the Serbia away game myth.
    we scored an excellent opening goal and lets be honest after they equalized at no stage were Serbia not going to win that
    game. Kenny has humiliated himself and the team by continuously referencing that "superb performance" what kind of loser celebrates a defeat and I don't accept we were robbed or unlucky. They beat us comfortable because they have better players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    The press conference for the squad announcement is on YouTube. Doesn't actually start until four minutes in
    He's still not very good at speaking to the press
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Jesus, he's still going on about that Serbia game as though it was some kind of heroic display. We were soundly beaten by an average enough team. I mean if we don't beat them at home that will be 0 or 1 points out of 6 against them, really poor even allowing for our current weak state.

I think I would be able to deal with his lack of ability in press conferences and interviews if he was at least making some progress with the team. But when you watch that along with our displays in the last year, you wonder how he ever got himself this job - he seems out of his depth both tactically and in other parts of his job also.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Agreed. And three squad places wasted with the inclusion of Hendrick, Hourihane and After. Have a feeling we may yet see Dundalk Duffy if there are withdrawals

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast