Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louie Watson (M Luton b. 2001)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Louie Watson (M Luton b. 2001)

Apologies if there is a thread already - could not find it.

Watched Derby & Ebosele was MOM and played well. However Watson was outstanding.

Excellent first touch, calm under pressure, picked the ball up from the defence - always available for them, great distribution and such penetrating passes to split open the defence. A truly outstanding performance.

You could say that he is too young and raw for international football - and you would be correct.

You could say that he is a better player than many we have had in recent years in midfield - and you would also be correct.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post

Watched Derby & Ebosele was MOM and played well. However Watson was outstanding.

Excellent first touch, calm under pressure, picked the ball up from the defence - always available for them, great distribution and such penetrating passes to split open the defence. A truly outstanding performance.

You could say that he is too young and raw for international football - and you would be correct.

You could say that he is a better player than many we have had in recent years in midfield - and you would also be correct.
    What he said

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post

Fair play to this lad. Let go by west ham this time last year after making no real impression there possibly due to injury. He has had a great 12 months. When he was brought into the 19s squad a few years back there might have been some whinging as he had played for England 16s but it looks like good work from our scouting network

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Louie Watson 5

Bright opening to the game but faded in only his second senior start and was replaced after 52 minutes.
    Rating after the Huddersfield game - https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/spo...atings-5755230

Louie Watson 7

Another who grew into the game, made two or three excellent passes to create chances
    Rating after the Salford game - https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/spo...atings-5763975

I've only seen him play for us (recent U21 games). Not sharing the excitement based on those games.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    We'll get to see how he measures up against Knight, who we have a fair idea about, once he returns from that stupid injury Rooney inflicted. If he can keep his place in the team, he'll be worth a look. We're pretty threadbare in midfield, and the more teenagers getting game time, the more likely one of them will make it at a higher level.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post

I've only seen him play for us (recent U21 games). Not sharing the excitement based on those games.

You are probably right, very hard to make a call. Interesting that there is some recognition amongst the fans though - "OOZED CLASS"

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/oo...ford-city-win/

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I keep asking myself this but I am going to ask it again: let's imagine he were in the Welsh set up and not the Irish one. Were he to go on a run of games starting for Derby until the end of August, would he get a call up to the Welsh senior squad?

Does anyone know how he qualifies for Ireland? His father is English and was a non-league footballer. He may have an Irish parent or two, however.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    We'll get to see how he measures up against Knight, who we have a fair idea about, once he returns from that stupid injury Rooney inflicted. If he can keep his place in the team, he'll be worth a look. We're pretty threadbare in midfield, and the more teenagers getting game time, the more likely one of them will make it at a higher level.
    Knight has a good engine and an eye for goal some of the time. But I don't see much creativity in his game. Watson, by the sound of things, appears to be quite a creative midfielder.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I thought Knight was really creative in the Andorra game, although you have to allow for the standard of opposition. But playing out of position out on the right he put at least three fantastic balls in - one for Collins who missed a sitter, one for Parrott who then played in Curtis who missed a sitter and finally one for Horgan who scored at the far post.

I still think Knight is surprisingly underrated by Ireland fans - we have a player on our hands there, I think it would almost be unfair to judge Watson against him to be honest.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I’m with mark12345 — Knight is mobile, can run forever. He’s technically good but doesn’t strike me as the guy to unlock a defense. I see his position as a box-to-box player involved in a lot of pass and move stuff, but not necessarily as the creator in the side.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Re Knight: Going back to his early academy days, he’s always been more Steven Gerrard than Paul Scholes, to use players that everyone is familiar with.

There’s creative moments within his game, which will lead to plenty of assists, along with goals - and the technical ability is there to execute anything but his game is much more about driving runs and directness.

Young enough that he could go any way in the long run I suppose...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I don't think it needs to be an either/or situation though. There's less and less of a place in the game now for creative midfielders who sort of just swan around the pitch when the other team have the ball (bad news for Jack Byrne and Dan Crowley). They're expected to be competent in terms of defensive duties also, or else they're not going to be playing at a high level. Knight is more of a box to box player, good runner, strong tackler etc. but he's well able to put a nice ball in to a forward also - the fact he can do a bit of everything in midfield is what excites me about him. We haven't had that since Roy Keane - unfair really to compare Knight or really any current Irish player to Keane but I do think he's the nearest we've seen in terms of Irish midfielders since Keane stormed out of Saipan (he wasn't the same player by the time he came back).
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    It is a stretch to say Knight is underrated. I would have thought he's highly regarded by and large across this forum and most other fans I know reckon he should be a starter. He got great praise for his performance against Gibraltar.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Rating after the Huddersfield game - https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/spo...atings-5755230

Rating after the Salford game - https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/spo...atings-5763975

Good temperament. Silly season starts again
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I still think Knight is surprisingly underrated by Ireland fans - we have a player on our hands there, I think it would almost be unfair to judge Watson against him to be honest.
    I guess all I mean there is that Knight is currently good enough to hold down a starting role for a Championship club and for us. I also think he's potentially much more than that, but time will tell, and anyway it's not relevant to this discussion. If Watson is able to compete with him for his club place, or to play beside him, I would take that as a strong indicator that he's ready for a call-up.

Others have described how they're quite different players, so perhaps they won't really be in direct competition after all.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    He was given Man of the Match last night on his debut for Luton. Gone under the radar a bit but unlike Jason Knight he was able to get a decent move to the Championship from Derby

26. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    What's the suggestion there? Luton town manager rates him as a better midfielder than he does Jason knight? Were his stats better than knights last year?
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 11/08/2022 at 4:12 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I think it's more that they could afford Watson but would have had no chance of coming up with the transfer fee needed to sign Knight.

Knight is a bit of a victim of his own success at this stage - Derby are pricing him out of a transfer. He is in the last year of his contract though so the trade off for Derby is that they could end up losing him for next to nothing in January or next summer. Maybe that's a risk they're willing to take as they have lost so many others for next to nothing in the last year that one more won't matter too much to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    What's the suggestion there? Luton town manager rates him as a better midfielder than he does Jason knight? We're his stats better than knights last year?
    Watson played 414mins of football for Derby last season. Luton picked him up on a free.

30. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast