Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 13th to 15th August

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    See ollie horgan got sent off yet again. Afterwards there was a kerfufle between him and our club photographer . I only found out when i got home. I was in section o side of ground did anyone have a good view of it?ref was too fond of producing cards last night imo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Professional performance by the Champions. The 2nd team of McCann,Gannon, Hoare & Greene had enough about them to get the job done.

Other results went as expected, with sligo sliding down and bohs utilising their euro momentum to get closer to 3rd, which is where they should finish,imo.
    Dundalks demise is ever so entertaining to watch -they need a reset button at that club next year or they'll be back competing with Cork sooner rather than later
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Professional performance by the Champions. The 2nd team of McCann,Gannon, Hoare & Greene had enough about them to get the job done.

Other results went as expected, with sligo sliding down and bohs utilising their euro momentum to get closer to 3rd, which is where they should finish,imo.
    Dundalks demise is ever so entertaining to watch -they need a reset button at that club next year or they'll be back competing with Cork sooner rather than later
    And here we thought you cared PC, but your Bohs streak is now getting worrying!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Don't say it often anymore, but an enjoyable win for Harps last night. Played some decent football, and Ryan Rainey scored a goal of the season contender (1:30 in the video here). The angle from behind McGinleys goal just shows how incredible the strike was.

Feel sorry for Longford now. They're left with pretty much nothing to play for but pride by now. Would take a huge collapse for someone else to get sucked into it.

Harps with three wins and three clean sheets in successive games in all competitions. It'd be a good time to put together a run of form again.

https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

Feel sorry for Longford now. They're left with pretty much nothing to play for but pride by now. Would take a huge collapse for someone else to get sucked into it.
    *cough* no pressure Nigel

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    *cough* no pressure Nigel
    My blood pressure levels are high enough without having to deal with that too...
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    And here we thought you cared PC, but your Bohs streak is now getting worrying!!
    I couldn't care less about bohs, but care even less about dundalk.
    I'm an old Rovers fan Nesta - the Rovers bohs rivalry was contrived by billy young in the 80's after all their decent players left to go to Milltown.
    The rivalry Rovers had/have with dundalk is far greater for fans like me, mainly due to memories of the animals both on and off the pitch in Oriel in the early 80's. When I was 10 the worst insult for us when playing football on the road was to be compared to Martin Lawlor - aka the missing link.. 😊
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I'm an old Rovers fan Nesta - the Rovers bohs rivalry was contrived by billy young in the 80's after all their decent players left to go to Milltown.
    The rivalry Rovers had/have with dundalk is far greater for fans like me, mainly due to memories of the animals both on and off the pitch in Oriel in the early 80's. When I was 10 the worst insult for us when playing football on the road was to be compared to Martin Lawlor - aka the missing link.. 😊
    Maybe I’m older but the Bohs/Rovers rivalry was well established when I started attending matches from 70s onwards- the memory of the likes of Turlough O’Connor ,Hughie Brophy, Tommy Kelly scoring against us and the sheer vitriol hatred from the main stand towards us when they scored/beat us even as a small boy astounded me- I quickly came to understand that being the best and most successful club brings with it the petty jealousy of lesser clubs - and in 50 years nothing has changed as we remain still the most successful

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Maybe I’m older but the Bohs/Rovers rivalry was well established when I started attending matches from 70s onwards- the memory of the likes of Turlough O’Connor ,Hughie Brophy, Tommy Kelly scoring against us and the sheer vitriol hatred from the main stand towards us when they scored/beat us even as a small boy astounded me- I quickly came to understand that being the best and most successful club brings with it the petty jealousy of lesser clubs - and in 50 years nothing has changed as we remain still the most successful
    You have an imperfect memory of your "successes" of the 70's, no league titles as far as I remember.
    The over celebration of results v Rovers in those days was less about your "success""( 1 senior trophy out of 20 available) and more down to the thuggishness of your fan base In the 70's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    The rivalry Rovers had/have with dundalk is far greater for fans like me, mainly due to memories of the animals both on and off the pitch in Oriel in the early 80's. When I was 10 the worst insult for us when playing football on the road was to be compared to Martin Lawlor - aka the missing link.. 
    Fondly known as The Hulk which was the no.1 compliment kicking about the street for us! Whatever about animals on the pitch ive seen a fair few ambling down the street in hoops too often over the years and some lilywhites try to ape them, poorly! Well at least your rationale is sound, a lot better than stuff like 'subconscious anti Rovers bias?!! My own bias is firmly built by experiences from about '85/86 on, i was about 7 then and possibly more sensible than i am now!!

Im as concerned about Dundalk sliding in to the playoff battle Nigel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    You have an imperfect memory of your "successes" of the 70's, no league titles as far as I remember.
    The over celebration of results v Rovers in those days was less about your "success""( 1 senior trophy out of 20 available) and more down to the thuggishness of your fan base In the 70's.
    Glass houses etc

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Glass houses etc
    In what respect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    My memory is perfect of the 1970s and I never said anything about us winning league title then because we didn’t .

The point I made is that as a kid in the early 70s I was astounded at the reaction by Bohs fans when you beat us and it had nothing to do with thuggish fans ( it really wasn't’ that rough btw) but simply down to the fact that for the previous 50 years it was rare for Bohs to beat us and you had won very little in comparison to us - once you went professional in late 60s that changed a little and Rovers were poor for much of the 70s ( eg signing on a schoolboy team and playing them with only 3 experienced players Leech/Fulham/Dunne) meant we finished bottom of league .

The point I did make still stands as today like back then your club and others still over celebrate as you say because underdogs/underachievers like to beat those more successful than them - meme ca change plus ca change - but if it fits your narrative to come up with it being to do with fan behaviour then continue believing that although I doubt you’ll get many takers for that theory

Anyway like PC I don’t care about Bohs , Dundalk or any other clubs ; I’m comfortable knowing we are the most successful club and currently the best team in the league
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 15/08/2021 at 9:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    In what respect?
    Bohs have as many knackers who follow them as we do.
    Possibly more as a % of actual support but it's not one I'd be shouting about

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Bohs have as many knackers who follow them as we do.
    Possibly more as a % of actual support but it's not one I'd be shouting about
    Woah there mate...
    A number of things to unpick from this. Well, first and foremost this is a thread about the games this weekend. Last time I checked we didn't play you. Not sure why you're talking about bohs hoolies.
    Secondly, this thread seems to be yourself and Calcio Jack, and Placid Casual reminiscing about Rovers and their starred history. That's all very entertaining lads, but its interest (and your feelings of inherent superiority) are somewhat esoteric.
    Perhaps you should write a book.
    Pineapple Stu might help you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    Woah there mate...
    A number of things to unpick from this. Well, first and foremost this is a thread about the games this weekend. Last time I checked we didn't play you. Not sure why you're talking about bohs hoolies.
    Secondly, this thread seems to be yourself and Calcio Jack, and Placid Casual reminiscing about Rovers and their starred history. That's all very entertaining lads, but its interest (and your feelings of inherent superiority) are somewhat esoteric.
    Perhaps you should write a book.
    Pineapple Stu might help you.
    Woah there mate i was referring to DT comment at post 49 about our "thugish" support in the 70's when i made the point that Bohs and Rovers have an unfortunate number of knackers following both teams and always have.
    I'll take your suggestion of writing a book under advisement, maybe you could learn to read a few posts back
    Last edited by sbgawa; 15/08/2021 at 10:19 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    This page...
    Placid Casual says bohs deserve 3rd, slags off Dundalk.
    Nesta responds - joke about Bohs streak.
    Nigel talks about Harps
    Bit of slagging with Nesta.
    PC:.. ROVERS GREAT! Dundalk really rival.
    Calcio Jack: ROVERS GREAT! 1970s
    Bohs & everyone else bitter.
    Dalymount Rower: you won f*** all in the 70s, mentions "thuggish elements"
    CJ... bohs bitter... ROVERS GREAT!
    SBGAWA.... Bohs have "knackers" ( your words) maybe more % than ROVERS (who are great obviously... )
    I've not missed the context Sbgawa.

I'm guessing you're all missing your old forum, and that's why you need to express your love of Rovers here.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Sorry folks that's my fault. I got to reminiscing about rivalries, and seemed to have stirred a nest....
    Anyways, Rovers are in good form at the moment and are going into the European game with a degree of confidence.
    Looking further forward the cup game with bohs should be a belter - would it be on TV, or is that just a fanciful notion?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    This page...
    Placid Casual says bohs deserve 3rd, slags off Dundalk.
    Nesta responds - joke about Bohs streak.
    Nigel talks about Harps
    Bit of slagging with Nesta.
    PC:.. ROVERS GREAT! Dundalk really rival.
    Calcio Jack: ROVERS GREAT! 1970s
    Bohs & everyone else bitter.
    Dalymount Rower: you won f*** all in the 70s, mentions "thuggish elements"
    CJ... bohs bitter... ROVERS GREAT!
    SBGAWA.... Bohs have "knackers" ( your words) maybe more % than ROVERS (who are great obviously... )
    I've not missed the context Sbgawa.

I'm guessing you're all missing your old forum, and that's why you need to express your love of Rovers here.
    I'm only responsible for myself... DT made a comment about our support , i made a pretty even handed response....end of story from my perspective.
    Sorry if happy Rovers fans upset you but as you said yourself its a thread about todays matches and we did win to extend our lead at the top.
    You should be happy yourself ...you won.
    WTF is happening to Sligo ?? a few weeks ago it was the top 3 and the rest scraping for 4th , Sligo have imploded ...
    Any sligo fans with an insight ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Sorry folks that's my fault. I got to reminiscing about rivalries, and seemed to have stirred a nest....
    Anyways, Rovers are in good form at the moment and are going into the European game with a degree of confidence.
    Looking further forward the cup game with bohs should be a belter - would it be on TV, or is that just a fanciful notion?
    Whatever about a second round cup game being on TV , how about a European Playoff making the flippen TV !!
    Or is that a fanciful notion as well?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast