Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pink Floyd at Live 8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=Peadar]It's not that I don't like them but I felt there was such hype about them and people saying how amazing their set was when, quite frankly, for me, they combined with The Who and 'Macca' to drain the atmosphere. Like flesh eating zombies who sucked the life out of the crowd.

My points are based on their performance last Saturday and in the context of the Live8 concert

So what if there was hype about the original set up coming together (not forgetting Syd Barrett). Goes with the territory, doesn't it? I'd say the likes of Pink Floyd couldn't give a $h!te about the hype as they've seen it all, done it all and they're probably too stoned to notice, in any case.

I disagree with you regarding draining the atmosphere but I might be wrong, you might be right, I might be right, you might be wrong. At least, we enjoyed the bands we liked so we're all happy in the end.

Anyway, Peadar, I'll fight for your right to diss the Floyd, Corky Boy. LOL . I'll bet you have at least one of their albums in your collection, though - come on, admit it.

I though that some of the new bands were good, some of the old bands were good and vice versa.

In fact. i was amazed at the poor response that all bands obtained throughout the afternoon - did anyone else notice this or was it just me getting bad vibes off the telly?? It seemed to perk up a bit as the light faded.

Just heard that Dave Gilmore has stated that they will be donating all the extra sales income from CD sales to the cause which is good. Obviously, they made a hoard of new fans from the performance and are not pocketing the profits. I wonder how many other bands are doing this?

OK.OK, so they don't need the money - before anyone brings that up. So what.

God, you're a cynical bunch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    In fact. i was amazed at the poor response that all bands obtained throughout the afternoon - did anyone else notice this or was it just me getting bad vibes off the telly?? It seemed to perk up a bit as the light faded.
    The BBC put mic's on the crowd later in the evening so the noise was picked up on TV where it hadn't been earlier.
    That said, I think the fading light adds to the atmosphere anyway because people become more focused on the bright lights in front of them.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    The BBC put mic's on the crowd later in the evening so the noise was picked up on TV where it hadn't been earlier.
    That said, I think the fading light adds to the atmosphere anyway because people become more focused on the bright lights in front of them.
    On yeah, I remember Ross saying that the crowd was miked.

Ah Peadar, cut us a little slack will ya, surely the crowd were also more focused on the music too. Personaly, I find it more enjoyable when the light of the day dims and you haven't the distraction of some fat birds - or blokes - showing off their excess blubber, beer bellies, cellulite and ground level ar$es in outfits their kids should be wearing and traipsing about all over the place, usually in front of one's view of the stage. I fcuking HATE that.

BTW, you didn't confirm how many Floyd albums you have. LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by town73
    any word on a live8 DVD?

Wooo chill out, it took 20 years for live aid ffs!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    BTW, you didn't confirm how many Floyd albums you have. LOL
    Had to think for a while because I know I have none but also certain that I don't even have any of their tracks on a compliation.
    Does Fleetwood Mac count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Had to think for a while because I know I have none but also certain that I don't even have any of their tracks on a compliation.
    Does Fleetwood Mac count?
    Yeah, when Peter Green was with them. Not too gone on Mac2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    How did Fleetwood mac become so popular? They were just the Corrs without flutes...unless you count Peter Green as one...

A good band from the 70s that could rock, although they didn't like the touring scene and became almost reclusive, were Steely Dan. They could belt out some great stuff.
    Yeah, Fleetwood mac during the Peter Green era were nothing like the later version. Steely Dan - I think I read somewhere they might be touring again - not 100% sure TBH - think Becker and Fagan have a Waters/Gilmore thing going, if you know what I mean.

The Doobie Brothers could rock too except that Michael McDonald put too much of that soft soul into their music for some albums. but some songs are awesome, they really "rawk out". I think they're still in action.

BTW, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter played with Dan and Doobies.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah, Fleetwood mac during the Peter Green era were nothing like the later version. Steely Dan - I think I read somewhere they might be touring again - not 100% sure TBH - think Becker and Fagan have a Waters/Gilmore thing going, if you know what I mean.

The Doobie Brothers could rock too except that Michael McDonald put too much of that soft soul into their music for some albums. but some songs are awesome, they really "rawk out". I think they're still in action.

BTW, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter played with Dan and Doobies.
    Becker and Fagen have been working together again off and on since 1993

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Becker and Fagen have been working together again off and on since 1993
    Didn't they bring out a new album in the last few months???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Martha Kearney has just mentioned Pink Floyd's "Dark side of the moon" - it's her favourite album.
    Nuff said. If martha says it's number one, then it's number one.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Going mad i missed Pink Floyd, the only band i really wanted to see at the thing. Dark side of the moon is one of my favourite albums ever.

Peadar, maybe if you listend to some of their albums it might help, even if they are "dinosaurs".If Led Zep re-united would you be excited, or just give out about them being old and past it??

BTW agree with ya 100 per cent about steely dan Conor
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruairi
    Peadar, maybe if you listend to some of their albums it might help
    What they have already recorded is probably fine and people are right to enjoy that, remembering past glories. All I'm concerned about it their dismal performance on Saturday.
    That's what this thread is about.
    In my opinion, they failed to contribute anything positive to the atmosphere on Saturday and their selection to play at such a crucial time in the event was poor judgement on the part of the organisers.
    They should have stayed in the bar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruairi
    Going mad i missed Pink Floyd, the only band i really wanted to see at the thing. Dark side of the moon is one of my favourite albums ever.

Peadar, maybe if you listend to some of their albums it might help, even if they are "dinosaurs".If Led Zep re-united would you be excited, or just give out about them being old and past it??

BTW agree with ya 100 per cent about steely dan Conor
    I got their performance on a windows media file but I dont think I'm allowed post the url so PM me and we'll see what we can do.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    It's not that I don't like them but I felt there was such hype about them and people saying how amazing their set was when, quite frankly, for me, they combined with The Who and 'Macca' to drain the atmosphere. Like flesh eating zombies who sucked the life out of the crowd..

What did you expect, it was a youngish crowd who didn't know the words to the songs. They raved for Robbie Williams and the fat prat Peter Kaye becuase they could sing along to their Karaokee numbers and scream at them. Those three were more lively than the usual boring U2 and depressing coldplay. Your views reflect your age really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadend
    it was a youngish crowd who didn't know the words to the songs.
    Your views reflect your age really.
    Did you honestly think the crowd would be anything other than "youngish"?
    That's what the organisers must have expected when they made the tickets available by SMS text lottery. Hence the reason I found bizarre, their decision to put the museum artefacts on display towards the climax of the event.

My age has nothing to do with the fact that the pensioners’ poor performances were overlooked by their fans because they had recorded music of a certain calibre over 2 decades ago.
    You can excuse their performance.
    I chose not to.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can we have a poll please?

Is Peadar right or wrong?
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy.McClure
    Does Peadar have an opinion which differs from PF fans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy.McClure
    Can we have a poll please?

Which leading brand of glue is Peadar sniffing like there's no tomorrow?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    I'm not a big Pink Floyd fan, but I thought they were terrific on Saturday. The Who were poor I thought, Macca was ok (better at Glastonbury last year) For me the best band of the day was the Kaiserchiefs in Philidelphia, brilliant stuff. I Predict A Riot is the best new song I've heard this year. Altogether now, Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na Na Na.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123