Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Scales D Celtic b.1998

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    One Scottish paper reporting that Anderlecht have sent scouts over to watch Liam Scales recently. Has 18months left on his contract but hard to see him leaving Celtic.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Pretty easy to see if they give him better wages and offer a lot of money. Celtic paid peanuts for him so if they they get 5-6 mill for him they’d be laughing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    887 Posts
    It's amazing how quickly a player's fortunes can change from heading out the door because he's not good enough to heading out the door because he's outgrown the club. Fair play to Liam for grabbing his chance when it came his way. His season at Aberdeen seems to have brought him on massively and allowed him to catch up on a lot of the potential development he lost out on earlier in his career.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,394 Posts
    It's quite possible he was good enough but wasn't rated by the previous manager, as he could have been seen as a Dermot Desmond signing rather than a manager signing.

He had a very good year at Aberdeen, and was a standout at Shamrock Rovers before that, so it's not as if he was plucked from obscurity.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Funny thing is, my recollection is that he started well enough at Celtic, probably better than Starfelt started, but it was only after a typically bad Celtic away performance (Bodo Glimt?) that he was dropped altogether. I thought at the time it was harsh but by then the Starfelt / CCV partnership was doing well. And in any event I think he was being used at left back in the league, but maybe CB in that European defeat.

If you go back to the first 3 pages of this thread there's mainly positive comment about his first Celtic games and even Chris Sutton was very impressed by him.

It's hard to see why the "he was never good enough" narrative managed to take hold.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 28/11/2023 at 3:53 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Starts at Lazio shortly. Mikey J on the bench. Looks a weak squad, some key players missing.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Funny thing is, my recollection is that he started well enough at Celtic, probably better than Starfelt started, but it was only after a typically bad Celtic away performance (Bodo Glimt?) that he was dropped altogether. I thought at the time it was harsh but by then the Starfelt / CCV partnership was doing well. And in any event I think he was being used at left back in the league, but maybe CB in that European defeat.

If you go back to the first 3 pages of this thread there's mainly positive comment about his first Celtic games and even Chris Sutton was very impressed by him.

It's hard to see why the "he was never good enough" narrative managed to take hold.
    It was decided because he came from the LOI.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

He played very few games that first season in fairness - 13 all told, with 5 of those from the bench.

I think there was an element that he was being played out at wing-back, and Postecoglu's style mightn't have suited. I think it was particularly high intensity and he was struggling to get fitness up to the required level? So possibly an element that the manager didn't suit him, which can happen to any player.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Typical, just as I turn on (83 mins) he plays sh1te.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    605 Posts
    BBC's MOTM in the win against Feynoord. Won the penalty for 1-0 and "Liam Scales won back possession eight times, and won as many duals. Celtic's defence were under the cosh for large periods of time, but the Republic of Ireland international stood tall and defended admirably."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67639873

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Again, his ball use was excellent I thought. He always seems to have that extra half second needed to get the ball away accurately just when you think he might be tackled.

As a defender I think he's fine. He's not particularly strong or quick, so there are better raw natural defenders than him in the SPL but it's his use of the ball that makes him stand out imho. I've said it before but I've seen many Irish midfielders less happy to receive the ball than him.

I wouldn't give him huge credit for winning the pen. The Feyenoord guy grabbed him by the neck!

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    He's completed more than 100 passes in a game a few times this season
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Let's hope he keeps developing - you can never have too many good players, especially CBs. Remember McCarthy, Moran, McGrath, Lawrenson and O'Leary (well - should have been) were all in the same squad.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Let's hope he keeps developing - you can never have too many good players, especially CBs. Remember McCarthy, Moran, McGrath, Lawrenson and O'Leary (well - should have been) were all in the same squad.
    He really is doing well and improving along the way. Tis a great news story for Irish soccer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Well Man City has five CBs in their starting XI against Villa so why not us for ****s and giggles to see how it works out.

.............Bazunu
    O'Shea O'Brien Scales
    ......Collins Omobamidele
    Ogbene Knight Johnston
    ...Ferguson Szmodics

All seriousness though do think the way City have played with four CBs as the backline could be something to consider. Not like we're flush with FBs and the FBs we do have aren't much to write home about.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Well Man City has five CBs in their starting XI against Villa so why not us for ****s and giggles to see how it works out.

.............Bazunu
    O'Shea O'Brien Scales
    Ogbene Knight Johnston
    ...Ferguson Szmodics

All seriousness though do think the way City have played with four CBs as the backline could be something to consider. Not like we're flush with FBs and the FBs we do have aren't much to write home about.
    I agree with Stutts post on his relative strengths and weaknesses. If he does end up falling out of the picture at Celtic then the left footedness is very helpful, as is the exposure to left back so he has a nice package of attributes to play in the Pep style with the centre halves across the back four and maybe even being the one stepping into the middle. Not that I think he will go to City but with his CL exposure and attributes he could find a club at that level in Germany or similar. I was watching clips of Guirassy, the Bundesliga goalgetter du jour, and was really struck by the pace of the defending compared to the Premiership

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I agree with Stutts post on his relative strengths and weaknesses. If he does end up falling out of the picture at Celtic then the left footedness is very helpful, as is the exposure to left back so he has a nice package of attributes to play in the Pep style with the centre halves across the back four and maybe even being the one stepping into the middle. Not that I think he will go to City but with his CL exposure and attributes he could find a club at that level in Germany or similar. I was watching clips of Guirassy, the Bundesliga goalgetter du jour, and was really struck by the pace of the defending compared to the Premiership
    Faster or slower in the Bundesliga ? !

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Faster or slower in the Bundesliga ? !
    Looked slower.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Fine headed goal for Scales in a 2-0 win against Livingston today.

Last edited by SkStu; 23/12/2023 at 4:40 PM.

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post

.............Bazunu
    O'Shea O'Brien Scales
    Ogbene Knight Johnston
    ...Ferguson Szmodics

Wouldn’t go that far but I can see a case for Collins as a 6. We have other options for 3 CB’s and it looks like Cullens’ limitations are now evident at PL as well as international level. We may even get the best out of Collins in a position where his occasional concentration lapses might not have such dangerous consequences.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast