Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Scales D Celtic b.1998

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    His partner beside him Lagerbielke sent off after 65 minutes ,second time I’ve seen him and he looks really poor,Scales definitely ahead of him in the pecking order when they are all fit…..
    Was watching in pub with sound off.
    Was he sent off for the foul for the penalty? Or for protesting?
    I thought it was a really soft peno

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    It was a second yellow anyway. Think view on commentary (I was only half watching) was that it was a soft enough penalty alright. But that's what the yellow was for afaik

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Was watching in pub with sound off.
    Was he sent off for the foul for the penalty? Or for protesting?
    I thought it was a really soft peno
    Definitely very soft,the Feyenoord player took a bit of a dive I thought….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    He did but Lagerbielke gave him the opportunity by having his hands all over him. I never once felt VAR would overturn it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    Given how comfortable Scales is with the ball at his feet, wonder if he would have been a better option away to Greece when Kenny ended up playing Lenihan. A microanalysis to be sure but I thought Lenihan was brutal in possession and just didn't work in Kenny's possession-based system.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Given how comfortable Scales is with the ball at his feet, wonder if he would have been a better option away to Greece when Kenny ended up playing Lenihan. A microanalysis to be sure but I thought Lenihan was brutal in possession and just didn't work in Kenny's possession-based system.
    Would it make any real difference to the result - short and long-term. Kenny is now trying to get a result against Greece to hold onto his job by his fingertips on the outside chance we get a play-off spot and fluke our way into qualification.

I would play Scales - purely because Lenihan is 29 and we have several young defenders who are better than him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Given how **** the team were overall on the night I don't think it would have made a difference to the result in the end if Scales had played rather than Lenihan.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    I realize I'm being picky but I thought a lot of our dysfunction at the back and in possession came down to Lenihan being out of sync with the rest of the team. It's not all down to Lenihan obviously but I just don't think he works in a possession system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    If you had of asked a Celtic fan in June where Liam Scales would be in September not many would have said getting man of the match in an Old Firm game and playing well in a away Champions League tie,can’t really make a case that he would have improved or even been in the frame for us in June,hindsight is wonderful and all that jazz….

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    But Scales was never really poor in his first season - maybe not great in a European game in Norway where everyone was off it. He actually started his firstspell reasonably well, a (deflected) goal at Tannadice(?) too, and some assists from the left. I reckon he wasn't an Ange type player though, who seemed to like bigger, stronger CBs. Starfelt was actually a bit of a liability in his early outings but Ange persevered with him and was rewarded. CCV is a rock.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    But Scales was never really poor in his first season - maybe not great in a European game in Norway where everyone was off it. He actually started his firstspell reasonably well, a (deflected) goal at Tannadice(?) too, and some assists from the left. I reckon he wasn't an Ange type player though, who seemed to like bigger, stronger CBs. Starfelt was actually a bit of a liability in his early outings but Ange persevered with him and was rewarded. CCV is a rock.
    Yeah that's fair but was it not thought that he was going to be moved on ? Think Aberdeen were interested in him on a permanent basis but were put off the price...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    If you had of asked a Celtic fan in June where Liam Scales would be in September not many would have said getting man of the match in an Old Firm game and playing well in a away Champions League tie,can’t really make a case that he would have improved or even been in the frame for us in June,hindsight is wonderful and all that jazz….
    FWIW any time Kenny called him up as an replacement for an injured player, Kenny was widely criticised here for calling up a player who was never going to be good enough

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    To be clear, I'm not saying it was a total error by Kenny not to use Scales in Greece. The safe play was definitely to play Lenihan who has played at a higher level for a longer period of time. I'm just saying based on what I saw yesterday, Scales is a much better fit in Kenny's system. There are obviously larger/greater issues at play when it comes to Kenny and I've probably been pretty clumsy in laying out my view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    I realize I'm being picky but I thought a lot of our dysfunction at the back and in possession came down to Lenihan being out of sync with the rest of the team. It's not all down to Lenihan obviously but I just don't think he works in a possession system.
    He was on the left of the three central defenders, but he kept drifting into the middle. This left Callum O'Dowda expired at left wing back, and both Greek goals came down that channel
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    The Dutch identified the same channel...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    FWIW any time Kenny called him up as an replacement for an injured player, Kenny was widely criticised here for calling up a player who was never going to be good enough
    I think there's been a fair bit of negative groupthink here wrt Scales. I don't think it's as simple as "didn't make it at Celtic so can't be considered for Ireland". My appreciation of him is clear. I think he's a fine footballer but I don't think any of us can tell what his real level is. Is he good enough for international football? I've no idea. He stood out at LOI and has held his own in SPL, even standing out away to Rangers and now in a CL away game.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 20/09/2023 at 3:32 PM.

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    I think there's been a fair bit of negative groupthink here wrt Scales. I don't think it's as simple as "didn't make it at Celtic so can't be consiudered for Ireland". My appreciation of him is clear. I think he's a fine footballer but I don't think any of us can tell what his real level is. Is he good enough for international football? I've no idea. He stood out at LOI and has held his own in SPL, even standing out away to Rangers and now in a CL away game.
    Agreed. A portion of Celtics fanbase seemed to turn on him but a good friend who is a season ticket holder there said he still saw a lot of potential. I watched a good few games and I while he did get caught out in Anges system a bit he wasn't as bad as people made out. He was quite good at times and it was his first season in a new setup. Aberdeen were a bit of a collective mess for a while which didn't help but he became very solid for them.

There's a small group of Celtic fans who even wanted him to fail I think. They'd been told by LoI fans that it wasn't a huge step up and wanted to prove that idea wrong. There were comments on Twitter etc before he even kicked a ball about how bad a signing it was. I know a few Rovers/Celtic fans who were pretty ****ed off about what they were hearing.

Delighted for him now. Would like to see how he would get on at LWB for Ireland. Doing well at CB now I know but he was excellent at LWB for Rovers as well. And we desperately need a LWB if we are going to continue with that formation.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    761 Posts
    He played well last night. He'll be in contention for us if he can stay in Celtic's team when their injuries clear up. That's the real test, not one or two games.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

28. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Has always been said he was a Dermot Desmond signing. Similar to them signing James McCarthy. One of them was actually signed that summer before Ange even joined the club I believe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    I think there's been a fair bit of negative groupthink here wrt Scales. I don't think it's as simple as "didn't make it at Celtic so can't be considered for Ireland". My appreciation of him is clear. I think he's a fine footballer but I don't think any of us can tell what his real level is. Is he good enough for international football? I've no idea. He stood out at LOI and has held his own in SPL, even standing out away to Rangers and now in a CL away game.
    re-read what i wrote and just wanted to clarify, i wasn't saying that i think that he's never going to be good enough, just that that was the consensus

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast