Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Summer Holidays!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts

Summer Holidays!!

Should there be a summer break in the NL? Perhaps we could have a poll for it?

Personally, I don't think a summer break would be helpful for the league. The whole idea of playing summer football, is that you play during the summer months. I think it's important that there isn't a break in the Premier Division, as it would harm the league's representatives in Europe.

There are those that say that NL players can't go on family holidays during the summer holidays. But most players are not married with kids. You know the situation when you play in summer seasons, it means you have to forego summer holidays, and take them in winter instead. NL players are one of the few in Western Europe, who can spend Christmas time on the beach in some exotic location. In England, you have to train on Christmas Day. That's the alternative!!

I think that it is possible for a break to be created in the First Division, where the demands of the game are less, and the players are mostly part-time. How motivated to play in the summer, are players in mid-table First Division teams, when they know that they have nothing to play for? Perhaps they could be afforded a short break, as compensation for playing First Division football, however, the break would have to be accommodated in the fixture list at the beginning of the season, and not suddenly interrupt the fixture programme at short notice, as people who are in favour of the idea, would like to see happen.

For this season, the current arrangement would have to continue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Agreed ... there are not enough pluses to need to change it now.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think there should but its maybe too early,how about late august?When the players WILL get tired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Next year there should be a break, we can't compete with the world cup espically if Ireland qualify.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    I think that it is possible for a break to be created in the First Division, where the demands of the game are less, and the players are mostly part-time. How motivated to play in the summer, are players in mid-table First Division teams, when they know that they have nothing to play for? Perhaps they could be afforded a short break, as compensation for playing First Division football, however, the break would have to be accommodated in the fixture list at the beginning of the season, and not suddenly interrupt the fixture programme at short notice, as people who are in favour of the idea, would like to see happen.
    and where did the analysis to prove this comment come from ? demands less in the first divison ? come off it. we've a good bunch of players who are full-time and to say there is less demands in first divison games is a joke.

overall nearly all players are part-time. fair enough but non-full time players have a huge demand, to balance a job, football and family life. the game is different in the first division,very physical . the demands are of the games are different but not at all lesser. i assume ur team isnt in the first divison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I wish we could have a break right now, and then come back rejuvenated,
    with a flock of new signings who will actually add something to the club,
    and sore up the table

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garykelly
    and where did the analysis to prove this comment come from ? demands less in the first divison ? come off it. we've a good bunch of players who are full-time and to say there is less demands in first divison games is a joke.

overall nearly all players are part-time. fair enough but non-full time players have a huge demand, to balance a job, football and family life. the game is different in the first division,very physical . the demands are of the games are different but not at all lesser. i assume ur team isnt in the first divison.
    Exactly Gary....I hope Mypost your team is in the 1st division so that you can back up your statement caus personally i think it's a load of ****e tbh.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Summer Break you havin' a laugh.

Maybe could have it for 1st division but would make a laughing stock of the Premier to one in a normal summer.

A 2-3 week break might be useful for WC year though. They had it in Sweden for Euro Championships last year.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just because City are on a good run I think it would be a good ideaafter the European runs end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor H
    I hope Mypost your team is in the 1st division so that you can back up your statement caus personally i think it's a load of ****e tbh.
    Not quite, but he'll know all about it next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts

The demands of the game are less in the first division. The clubs don't play in Europe, most go out of the cups early, the players are part-time, and there's no relegation.

In contrast, look at Shels in the Premier. The strain of having to win everything, to justify all the money spent, is showing throughout the club.

thecorner
    summer break in summer football....brilliant

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    The demands of the game are less in the first division. The clubs don't play in Europe, most go out of the cups early, the players are part-time, and there's no relegation.

In contrast, look at Shels in the Premier. The strain of having to win everything, to justify all the money spent, is showing throughout the club.
    only 3 clubs from 12 in the prem can play in europe. 4 if the cup winners are in the prem. that's still only a 1/3 of teams. I dont think Shels think it's a strain to be in with a chance to win everything. Yeah they are the dominant force but i'm sure they are not whinging about having too many games. What's the flip side, mid table obsecurity.

You shouldnt brand all teams the same in the first division. Notice our new signing tim mccann who came to us becuase we could offer full time football.

Sure there is no relegation in the first, but any team worth their salt in the prem wouldnt be near relegation either.

To say the demands are less in the first is a tad naeive. hopefully your team will never have to come down to the first for a holiday with the occassional game at the weekends. If u supported a team in the first, you wouldnt be long changing your tune.
    Last edited by garykelly; 08/07/2005 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Not quite, but he'll know all about it next year.
    Maybe, maybe not. Mypost's team could very well go out of business this week, therefore condemning Harps to almost certain relegation, with Bray, Waterford, and Pats hovering around the play-off spot too.

I don't think Shels think it's a strain to be in with a chance to win everything
    Look at them. They've had a bad patch so what's going on? A player berates his boss when he's subbed, their chairman punches a rival boss over comments in an interview, and their assistant manager has to be restrained by players when remonstrating with an official following another recent defeat.

Shels have spent a lot of money, on players, and professional set-ups. They have to win everything to justify all the money spent. With their financial muscle, they ought to be ten points clear. As they're not, and are struggling, the pressure and strain of having to win everything is showing from the top down, at the club. The demands of the game in the Premier Division are greater than in the first.