Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2021

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    According to RTE Sport Twitter, Waterford want a new challenge and have been drawn to play Tipperary in the Hurling.
    Obviously still sore at the FAI over that European decision a couple of years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    When will the draw for the next round be held.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The draw for the Second Round of the FAI Senior Challenge Cup will take place on Tuesday, July 27th at 18:30 live on RTÉ's GameOn.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

4. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Drogs assistant manager none to pleased with the ref(Paul McLoughlin) in today's tie v Derry.

Didn't see the match my-self so maybe someone who did can let us know if his comments are justified? (Having seen McLoughlin in action a few times already this season i kinda already know the answer!)

https://twitter.com/LMFMRADIO/status...84699419144195
    Wanted to wait until I could see the highlights before commenting on the referee's performance on Saturday as I didn't get a good view of either decision bar the hand ball which I think in real time the ref didn't have much of a choice.

However, the James Brown "dive" which resulted in his 2nd yellow and us going down to 9 men hasn't even been included in the highlights so I'm presuming it was definitely the wrong decision if it has been omitted.

The 2nd penalty also looked a very harsh call, can see Heeney pulling away from the challenge and Junior just running into him, clever play on his behalf but the ref should really be doing better.

We can definitely feel hard done by as this squad really deserved a good run at the cup, hopefully we can use this as extra motivation and keep our European hopes alive for a few more weeks at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    I'm not looking for your man with the voice from the pools on the bbc but I thought the presentation of the cup draw on 2fm was awful , amateur hour by RTE.
    Last edited by D24Saint; 27/07/2021 at 5:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Waterford v Kilnamanagh;
    Dundalk v St Mochta’s;
    Finn Harps v Derry City;
    Maynooth University Town v Cobh Ramblers;
    Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers;
    Cork City v St Patrick’s Athletic;
    UCD v Longford Town;
    Killester Donnycarney v Wexford FC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I'm not looking for your man with the voice from the pools on the bbc but I thought the presentation of the cup draw on 2fm was awful , amateur hour by RTE.
    Yeah, everything about it was atrocious. How hard is it for the FAI to even live stream the draw over social media and youtube? It's really pathetic that the national cup is drawn over radio.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Well that's at least three of the current top 5 gone. Could be a bad year to finish 4th
    Last edited by sbgawa; 28/07/2021 at 7:44 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Dundalks streak of luck continues. And yet they just aren't very convincing.
    Pat's in Cork could be an interesting one, although you'd have to assume that O'Donnell will send them out ready to fight, unlike sligo in recent weeks.
    Rovers away to boez is 50/50 I guess. Get Joey to do a job on Kelly and that should be that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Pat's in Cork could be an interesting one, although you'd have to assume that O'Donnell will send them out ready to fight, unlike sligo in recent weeks.
    Rovers away to boez is 50/50 I guess. Get Joey to do a job on Kelly and that should be that.
    Pat's should dispose of Cork, might get their usual red card or two in doing so.
    The Bohs game should be interesting, will be won in midfield rather than a Georgie Kelly v your ageing hoofer contest, I would think.
    Pity it wont be a big crowd, 600-800 will be about as good as it gets at that stage. Gardai would object to the Aviva being used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I’m not sure what to make of our draw. Home is a positive I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Pat's should dispose of Cork, might get their usual red card or two in doing so.
    The Bohs game should be interesting, will be won in midfield rather than a Georgie Kelly v your ageing hoofer contest, I would think.
    Pity it wont be a big crowd, 600-800 will be about as good as it gets at that stage. Gardai would object to the Aviva being used.
    It really is a shame if this is the only reason that's this keeping this fixture from the Aviva. Maybe I'm a dreamer but seeing the interest in Bohs at the minute and the draw Rovers already have I don't think it's out of the question that this cup tie could have potentially topped 15/20k in the Aviva if restrictions allowed.

In a post covid life, I wonder if Bohs would look to try and move their home games vs Shamrock Rovers to the Aviva (similar to what Leinster do for their games vs Munster). If they are going to be selling out Dalymount within minutes you'd think it'd make sense financially. If properly advertised and put on RTE I could see that Dublin derby being a staple in the Aviva with huge crowds a couple times a year.

After looking at the outcome of the draw its strengthened by belief the competition format needs to be looked at. Not having a go at Cobh, but they look set to be in the cup quarter final by beating 2 junior teams. The tail end of the competition isn't going to be much of a spectacle if the requirements for entry can be this low.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    If i'd picked the draw out myself it wouldnt be as much fun! Only miss is Cork v Cobh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Its great stuff!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I see the clamour for the Bohs Rovers game to be played in the Aviva but I really don’t see the logic from Bohs perspective. Why give up home advantage in the hardest cup game you could have got. Fair enough they’d get a much larger crowd but if it was say 6k or 8k at the Aviva with probably half Rovers fans then I don’t see why they’d do it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Can't see it happening in the Aviva unfortunately, could be imagining this but wasn't the 2019 semi final draw a bit 'suspect' with the way they were both picked out to play each other ? Unfortunately I think from a Gardai perspective Bohs Rovers in the Aviva is to be avoided at all costs, will be interesting to see if/when it happens.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    It really is a shame if this is the only reason that's this keeping this fixture from the Aviva. Maybe I'm a dreamer but seeing the interest in Bohs at the minute and the draw Rovers already have I don't think it's out of the question that this cup tie could have potentially topped 15/20k in the Aviva if restrictions allowed.

In a post covid life, I wonder if Bohs would look to try and move their home games vs Shamrock Rovers to the Aviva (similar to what Leinster do for their games vs Munster). If they are going to be selling out Dalymount within minutes you'd think it'd make sense financially. If properly advertised and put on RTE I could see that Dublin derby being a staple in the Aviva with huge crowds a couple times a year.

After looking at the outcome of the draw its strengthened by belief the competition format needs to be looked at. Not having a go at Cobh, but they look set to be in the cup quarter final by beating 2 junior teams. The tail end of the competition isn't going to be much of a spectacle if the requirements for entry can be this low.
    The small minority of scumbags on both sides would ruin it sooner or later by acting like the English.

The proposed 6,000 capacity for the new Dalymount really does need increasing though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    The small minority of scumbags on both sides would ruin it sooner or later by acting like the English.

The proposed 6,000 capacity for the new Dalymount really does need increasing though.
    8k would make more sense but there is nothing wrong with having a bit of a clamour for tickets if demand just outstrips capacity which I think 6k would. Being able to increase capacity should be factored in to the design mind.

On holding the Dublin Derby in the Aviva, if both clubs were agreeable, the last thing that should be influencing the decision is whether little scrotes may act up!! I know its highly likely they would try but proper security and policing should be par for the course, there would have been bigger crowds with potential for trouble eg v N.I. previously that passed off without incident. Some common sense ticketing arrangements by ticketmaster et al might come out of it which would be of great benefit to all especially when it comes to Cup Final day and the way tickets have been released being totally ridiculous. Dundalk fans have no shortage of experience in how cup final ticket arrangements lack an ounce of sense!!

yurt I think part of the interest in the cup, romance even, is how it can pitch non league clubs in to the mix. I dont think it detracts from the competition and tbh it I doubt it happens that often that non league teams get drawn together and one might progress a round or two. St Francis is the obvious example and that in itself generated a interest in that cup final. There are of course the upsets like Ashtown Villa beating both Derry and Dundalk in '91 I think when both clubs would have been table toppers (Dundalk ending up league champions).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    8k would make more sense but there is nothing wrong with having a bit of a clamour for tickets if demand just outstrips capacity which I think 6k would. Being able to increase capacity should be factored in to the design mind.

On holding the Dublin Derby in the Aviva, if both clubs were agreeable, the last thing that should be influencing the decision is whether little scrotes may act up!! I know its highly likely they would try but proper security and policing should be par for the course, there would have been bigger crowds with potential for trouble eg v N.I. previously that passed off without incident. Some common sense ticketing arrangements by ticketmaster et al might come out of it which would be of great benefit to all especially when it comes to Cup Final day and the way tickets have been released being totally ridiculous. Dundalk fans have no shortage of experience in how cup final ticket arrangements lack an ounce of sense!!

yurt I think part of the interest in the cup, romance even, is how it can pitch non league clubs in to the mix. I dont think it detracts from the competition and tbh it I doubt it happens that often that non league teams get drawn together and one might progress a round or two. St Francis is the obvious example and that in itself generated a interest in that cup final. There are of course the upsets like Ashtown Villa beating both Derry and Dundalk in '91 I think when both clubs would have been table toppers (Dundalk ending up league champions).
    Completely agree on not bowing down to the fear of scrote-ish behavior. I don't know much about what it takes to police football stadium but I refuse to believe that we don't have the resources in Dublin for this to take place safely.

Just to confirm my point on restructuring the cup. I'm not suggesting that we don't include Junior teams, I just think having 22 out of 32 teams ,not playing in the top flight, in an open draw will mean that there's a decent chance some poor teams will get an easy route through to the business end of the competition. I'm all for the magic of the cup but I think it needs to be earned.

The upsets your talking about happened 30 years ago at this stage. I think it's fair to say the gulf in quality is significantly bigger now. I just personally think that it'd make for better cup ties if the Junior teams played a round or two against first division teams to make sure we are left with something which more accurately represents the best 16 teams in the country.

This format made a lot more sense when there was 22 and 24 LOI teams but now that we're down to 2 divisions of 10 I don't think its fit for purpose anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Specific examples of upsets above may be 30 yrs ago (jeez way to go and make a chap feel old) but I dont think such possible results are done and dusted. Dundalk are improving currently but I think but there are some junior sides that I wouldnt have bet the house on Dundalk beating a few months back. As P Casual likes to point out at every opportunity, there is the luck in the draw, so for Dundalk currently, if it isn't broken don't fix it!! There are senior 1st Division sides that could go out to non league sides; the same argument could be made for 1st Division sides progressing beyond a point if drawn against each other, in theory all the way to the final, when better sides have been beaten due tp the draw - that's a significant part of cup competition for me. An all amateur Wexford Youth's playing Derry in the League Cup, maybe a bit more contemporary albeit both in the senior structure. There is enough sanitising or streamlining competitions to suit the elite without doing so in the domestic cup. Even if its a mismatch, junior sides are in the draw on merit, more so than senior clubs even.

It would be easier to police the Aviva with bigger numbers than Dalymount imo, possibly Tallaght too. Either way, as mentioned, the risk of a very small minority causing grief shouldn't factor in. It is a legitimate concern of course, as it was in cup final games with Dundalk v Cork and Rovers where ye were just imploring 'fans' not to mess it up for the rest of us - with flares never mind respective scrotes getting at each other.

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast