Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-Season 2021-22

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Wales seem to have this down to a tee. I don’t know if its the attraction of playing with Bale and Ramsey but they have done very well recently in attracting and keeping young players to play for Wales. i suppose their success in 2016 would also have been a big help.
    I don’t know how they do it but no matter who the player is they step in and look up to it, even someone like Levitt who had only played a EL game for United in what was a u23 team versus Astana yet none of our even premiership players look up to it when they step in.

It just feels looking in that there’s a real family feel to it and it feels like a very organic environment whereas with Ireland it just looks like a very toxic place, it’s no wonder so many players get “injured” prior to internationals.

When you look at our toxic environment it’s no wonder so many jump ship, even someone like Brooks who isn’t having the best spell in his career at the moment but let’s not forget between 2017-2019 he became a regular in the championship and became one of the best youngsters in the premier league and despite this he still turned down England. We have players like Odubeko turning his head…someone raised in Ireland, that’s how toxic it’s become.

I do feel Kenny is in the process of changing things (sadly players being “injured” hasn’t helped) he hasn’t had a somewhat fit team to pick since Slovakia (A) and it shows in every game we played. The toxicity in Irish football isn’t down to Kenny, it’s down to all the **** that’s gone down before him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    I don’t know how they do it but no matter who the player is they step in and look up to it, even someone like Levitt who had only played a EL game for United in what was a u23 team versus Astana yet none of our even premiership players look up to it when they step in.

It just feels looking in that there’s a real family feel to it and it feels like a very organic environment whereas with Ireland it just looks like a very toxic place, it’s no wonder so many players get “injured” prior to internationals.

When you look at our toxic environment it’s no wonder so many jump ship, even someone like Brooks who isn’t having the best spell in his career at the moment but let’s not forget between 2017-2019 he became a regular in the championship and became one of the best youngsters in the premier league and despite this he still turned down England. We have players like Odubeko turning his head…someone raised in Ireland, that’s how toxic it’s become.

I do feel Kenny is in the process of changing things (sadly players being “injured” hasn’t helped) he hasn’t had a somewhat fit team to pick since Slovakia (A) and it shows in every game we played. The toxicity in Irish football isn’t down to Kenny, it’s down to all the **** that’s gone down before him.
    And the thing is we had this once. Ok, back a long time ago. But I suppose it is when you have success that it sustains for a long time like Euro 88, Italy 90 and USA 94 = = That was a lot of success in a short period.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Conor Noss is suggesting holding out for Germany is he?
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...nchengladbach/

The Sun are the only outlet carrying these quotes. Did he speak in English? Were the quotes translated? He isn't saying definitively that he is considering his options. The sentences are quite open.

He might well consider a Germany call up if he got one in the morning. But I'm sure he would consider an Ireland one if it came too. It's quite clear that he is a dual national.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Didn't think Conor Noss showed much in the recent U21 matches, maybe that's down to how the team as a whole played not suiting him and it being end of season, but the ball bounced off him more than not and he looked physically weak/ lightweight. Not a player meriting fast-tracking to the seniors imo. If he's holding out for Germany, good luck to him.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    And the thing is we had this once. Ok, back a long time ago. But I suppose it is when you have success that it sustains for a long time like Euro 88, Italy 90 and USA 94 = = That was a lot of success in a short period.
    And even in recent years with the likes of Iceland , Northern Ireland, and Sweden at the 2018 WC and Qs. You don’t need to be gifted with top players to be successful, maybe to win a tournament you do but to get to a L16/QF you don’t, whats most important is to be well organized and have genuine tactics, that’s what Iceland for instance had, great defensivly but when they went forward you could see the work they did on the training ground coming to fruition, with Ireland under O’Neill for instance you had players throwing throw-ins out of play…it’s no wonder we went nowhere.

Kenny though is the kind of manager who will do this though, it may take time for it to start baring fruit though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Didn't think Conor Noss showed much in the recent U21 matches, maybe that's down to how the team as a whole played not suiting him and it being end of season, but the ball bounced off him more than not and he looked physically weak/ lightweight. Not a player meriting fast-tracking to the seniors imo. If he's holding out for Germany, good luck to him.
    Honestly part of me feels it could be media talk to push for a call up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    just the sun being the sun. he did an interview in german media where he was asked:

Fohlen-Hautnah: Du hast sowohl die deutsche, als auch die irische Staatsbürgerschaft. Aktuell trägst Du das Trikot von Irland. Wenn Du in Bezug auf das A-Team wählen könntest – für wen würdest Du dich entscheiden? (you're a dual german and irish citizen but you're currently wearing an irish jersey. if you could choose a senior team to play for, which would you pick?)

Conor Noß: Das kann ich so gar nicht sagen. Die Spiele bei der irischen U21-Nationalmannschaft habe ich sehr genossen und mir hat es großen Spaß gemacht. Das ganze Trainerteam ist super und ich habe mich dort sehr wohl gefühlt. Über diese Konstellation habe ich mir aber noch nicht viele Gedanken gemacht und bin aktuell bei der irischen Nationalmannschaft sehr glücklich. (i can't really answer that. i've loved the games with the 21s and the whole backroom team are super and i feel good/sure there. i haven't really thought about this situation much and i'm very happy being with the irish national team)

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    So, getting close to the start of the new season, with The Championship kicking off next weekend - this is the point where we really see if players are serious candidates to make a breakthrough:

On that note, Conor Coventry played the full 90 for West Ham against Brentford. Randolph and Okoflex were unused subs, Odubeko not in the squad: https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...est-ham-united

Aaron Connolly showed he can still score, nabbing the opener for Brighton against Luton: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...tm_medium=link

Nathan Collins was an unused sub for burnley against Tranmere: https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/...tm_medium=link

Shane Long played the first hour for Southampton against Swansea, Michael Obafemi came on for the last half-hour: https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2...tm_medium=link

Louie Watson was a second-half sub for Derby against Real Betis recently, Ebosele and Cashin remained on the bench: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/07/...28th-july-2021

Mark Mcguinness played the last thirty for Cardiff against Newport: https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...newport-county

Anthony Scully returned from injury and scored a spot-kick against Salford: https://www.weareimps.com/news/2021/...ord-city-imps/

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Danny Grant has been with the Huddersfield U23s while he “adapts to professional training”.

Real shame. He’s a lad who has had injury issues and Bohs worked out how to maximise what his body can do. Then he started getting injuries after he moved with a totally different level of rest given, so they moved him down to the 23s without ever giving him an opportunity to play.

Didn’t feature in a squad for a single pre-season game. Looks a bit of a disaster move for a guy with such potential.

Huddersfield are currently playing against Wednesday in the league cup. No Grant. Mide Shodipo started for Wednesday but came off injured after 30 mins

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Eiran Cashin played and scored today for Derby in friendly. Not a player I've heard about before. Anyone know much about him?

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Eiran Cashin played and scored today for Derby in friendly. Not a player I've heard about before. Anyone know much about him?
    A dual lad, think he lost a chunk of time to an injury last season but open to correction there. No idea how strong his link to us is, the name is encouraging but then Fionn Mooney says he feels more English than Irish so who knows anymore. Defender, CB I think.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Jack Taylor came off in Peterboroughs pre season game with five minutes left today v Portsmouth feeling a hamstring, Ferguson hoping its not serious.
    Szmodics / Pym also played.
    For Pompey, Raggett / Williams / Harness & Curtis (who scored)

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I don’t know a lot about him other than being English born, Irish underage international, prominent with the successful Derby youth team, and predominantly a defender (centre back). If he continues to do well and establishes himself in the Derby team, then they will be looking to cashin on him…given Derby’s ongoing financial plight

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    isn't he the guy that did the rocky video during lockdown? think it was for that toilet paper challenge thing. my memory is captain of the u18s. centre half, decent prospect. one of those guys who could be the real deal or often you see a guy in 18s and 23s football, the hunger, desire, stick your head in the way of everything and early physical development allows them to compensate for deficiencies that get found out later as they move up and they end up way down the ladder. Joe Kennedy who captained a good Liverpool side to win the FA Youth Cup in 2009 is a classic example of that. He was a great dominant commanding centre half at U18s. He moved to Wigan to play reserve football (then Premier League) and ended up in the welsh league. More than every other position, there are a certain mould of centre halves, who look very good at underage level but plenty don't have the skillset to really make it. Some certainly do - think Richie Dunne, John Terry, Jamie Carragher. The 3-6 games I saw of him were in that fashion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    On the Continent, Ryan Johansson held his squad place at Sevilla for another prestigious friendly, this time against Roma, and came on as an injury-time sub: https://sevillafc.es/actualidad/noti...oso-julio-2021

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    The way Derby are shaping up, we might find out soon enough how his skill set transfers to the fully growns.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Danny Grant has been with the Huddersfield U23s while he “adapts to professional training”. Real shame. He’s a lad who has had injury issues and Bohs worked out how to maximise what his body can do. Then he started getting injuries after he moved with a totally different level of rest given, so they moved him down to the 23s without ever giving him an opportunity to play.Didn’t feature in a squad for a single pre-season game. Looks a bit of a disaster move for a guy with such potential.Huddersfield are currently playing against Wednesday in the league cup. No Grant. Mide Shodipo started for Wednesday but came off injured after 30 mins
    Think he's had Covid plus lots of injuries. No fans writing him off yet and a lot of the knowledgable ones have high hopes for him once he finally gets a clear run. Certainly no problems with his attitude or the club's attitude towards him, just a complete absence of luck.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    A brace for Idah against Gillingham - don't know what else he has to do to get significant playing time from the start of the season - if he is only getting garbage time, then it might be time to ask for a loan move. Omobamidele played the full 90: https://www.canaries.co.uk/first-tea...tm_medium=link

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Idah's second was a peach of a finish, albeit against Gillingham.

As for starts this season, hard to see him getting much. Pukki will probably start alone up front, with the Kosovar, the new French lad and maybe the Polish fella behind him. They've Gilmour as well on loan, so he's definitely going to be starting.
    Who knows, maybe Pukki plays the withdrawn role that he sort of plays with Finland, and Idah starts.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Idah's second was a peach of a finish, albeit against Gillingham.

As for starts this season, hard to see him getting much. Pukki will probably start alone up front, with the Kosovar, the new French lad and maybe the Polish fella behind him. They've Gilmour as well on loan, so he's definitely going to be starting.
    Who knows, maybe Pukki plays the withdrawn role that he sort of plays with Finland, and Idah starts.
    Pukki was great in the 1st half of the season the last time Norwich were in Premiership a couple of years ago but was fairly average in the 2nd half if my memory serves me correct. Hes a decent striker but hes not exactly Levandowski, if Idah continues to improve and score goals Pukki wont be untouchable in that team.

31. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast