Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Sligo boss laments fans’ silence

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down Sligo boss laments fans’ silence

we are in danger of getting branded nationally if the silence at home continues. this appeared in weekender and on eleven-a-side.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sligo boss laments fans’ silence

Sligo Rovers manager Sean Connor has called on the Bit O’Red supporters to make their presence felt at forthcoming home games, admitting that he doesn’t know what more he or his players can do to encourage some partisanship at the Showgrounds.

Sligo are currently five points clear at the top of the First Division and favourites to book a return to the Premier for the first time in five years.

However, to Connor’s dismay, soccer supporters in the locality have been conspicuous by their quietude so far this season.

The Belfast native told the Sligo Weekender: “I find it difficult, we’re top of the First Division, we are trying to pass the ball and I don’t know what they want.

“I think even when we scored they went quiet and surely when you’re winning 1-0 at home and you’re top of the League and you’re playing that sort of football it is a lot to celebrate.

“I don’t know what they’re looking for. I tried to help them. I tried to encourage them. I want them to come to the games and to be noisy”

While the supporters’ diffidence may be blighting matters off the field somewhat, Connor is delighted with his side’s performances on the park in recent weeks.

Rovers have won their last four First Division games and also booked their place in the last 16 of the FAI Carlsberg Cup with a replay victory over Malahide United.

In their most recent outing, a hard-fought 2-1 win over Cobh Ramblers last weekend, the Rovers boss was particularly pleased with the impact of teenage substitute Gary Curran.

He said: “Gary Curran was magnificent, from the minute I put him on to the end. Gary plays like a seasoned pro and yet he is only 17, absolutely fantastic. My job is protecting Gary Curran and making sure that he is here for a long, long time.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    The silence of fans is not confined to Sligo, there are a few exceptions in the league of fans who get behind their team regardless of how they fare on the pitch.
    For long periods of the second half last Saturday the support went quiet, are your fans more noisy away from home?
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    only 1 real example of away game with good numbers and that was galway. supporters were noisy then alright. hopefully be noisy in monaghan on sunday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garykelly
    only 1 real example of away game with good numbers and that was galway. supporters were noisy then alright. hopefully be noisy in monaghan on sunday
    what about dublin city away.we had loads of fans and we did plenty of singing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars
    what about dublin city away.we had loads of fans and we did plenty of singing.
    sorry forgot bout that game. was great night alright cept we shoulda won the game. we're top now anyhoo !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red til dead
    ya we were loud as f**k against galway&dublin

OPEN DA F**KIN SHED
    I dunno about the Dublin game but yee werent that loud in Terryland.We were singing up until the second goal and then yee started singing "the rovers".That was as good as yee gave through out the whole game and in fairness yee had a big support down but yee should have made alot more noise.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    i think its time we did something then dont you???

and not sing "we want the shed back"

we have plenty of fans on here to organise something.....we could all stand behind of one the goals...or in the shed[open part] and sing...id be willing to if everyone else would....why not???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wild rover
    i think its time we did something then dont you???

and not sing "we want the shed back"

we have plenty of fans on here to organise something.....we could all stand behind of one the goals...or in the shed[open part] and sing...id be willing to if everyone else would....why not???
    ya good idea i will be there if enough people will go....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    its hard to make sense of the support in the showgrounds sometimes.
    I have to admit that there are times i feel like going down on the pitch and kicking a few ar...s because they have almost giving me heart failure at times.
    i wonder even if opening the shed will make a difference, because i feel 30 or 40 will not make a difference.
    Maybe the reason for the silence is because we are not happy unless we are winning 3 nil, or is it we cant believe that after all these years ,we have a genuine chance of promotion.

alas i cant make monaghan today..remembering one famous christmas when the pitch nearly got invaded with cattle, and we had a certain Mike Small
    score a goal or two i think.
    keep the 5 point gap....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red til dead
    Sort out your ears Conor H cos that's just a lie
    Im sorry but it isn't .IMO yee weren't that loud but i tell ya something if we keep our form and the crowds in terryland keep rising the next Connacht Derby will be a cracker.If yee bring a good support which yee should if yere still up there and we keep playing the way we are we could easily be up ther too which will mean some atmosphere.We may not get large crowds but we do have 2 drums and a big vocal support and i see yee have a drum too so i can't wait for it.

Europe's Big Club.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Conor H
    Im sorry but it isn't .IMO yee weren't that loud but i tell ya something if we keep our form and the crowds in terryland keep rising the next Connacht Derby will be a cracker.If yee bring a good support which yee should if yere still up there and we keep playing the way we are we could easily be up ther too which will mean some atmosphere.We may not get large crowds but we do have 2 drums and a big vocal support and i see yee have a drum too so i can't wait for it.
    What r u on about?? YE'RE S/H/I/T!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    16 pts behind with a game in hand but were only 11 behind Dublin with a game in hand which is nothing if we can get a run going

Europe's Big Club.