Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Irish Players in Premiership

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

Foot.ie! Young Irish Players in Premiership

I reckon next year could be a big year for a number of the young Irish players in and around the fringes of the Premiership teams.

Stephen Kelly, Stephen Elliot, Daryl Murphy, Willo Flood, Joey O'Brien, Darren Potter, Stephen Ireland, Mark Yeates and Michael Timlin could all possibly be established first team players when WC 2006 comes around (I know Kelly practically has established himself but with the signing of Stalteri and the emergence of Phil Ifil next season he might find first team games harder to come by).

What follows is a rundown of my thoughts on these young players but what I'd like is other people to contribute their knowledge.

Stephen Kelly - I watched him a fair bit last season and thought he showed decent potential. While being a bit dodgy defensively (as many young defenders are when they first make the breakthrough) he looks strong and quick and decent going forward. I personally believe he'll have a good season next year and be in the squad for WC2006 if we qualify.

Stephen Elliot - Bags of potential but unfortunately I think he'll have a difficult season next year as I believe Sunderland will struggle and he'll find goals hard to come by. His finishing at the moment can be a bit dodgy and he usually needs two or three clear chances before bagging a goal (a la Andy Cole and Robbie Keane). I hope I'm wrong and he has a good season because we need a striker but I think he might take a bit longer to establish himself as a premiership player if indeed he ever does.

Daryl Murphy - I'd be surprised if Daryl gets much of a look in and hindsight may suggest he should have followed Kevin Doyle to the Championship before attempting to tackle the Premiership. I think it'll prove too big a step up from the LOI.

Willo Flood - I don't see him making an impact at all next year. He failed to prove that he's consistently a good enough performer at this level when he had his chances last season and I believe that both Lee Croft and BWP will now be given more chances than Willo.

Joey O’Brien - I seen him at Sheffield Wed a bit and he just got better and better with every game. If he gets the chance I can see him establishing himself in the top flight but whether he's given that chance next season remains to be seen. He'll definitely play a few games possibly in the Carling Cup.

Darren Potter - Didn't look great in the few games he played last season. Can't see him being good enough in the long run to be a regular Irish international unless he dramatically improves. I do think, however, he'll get a few more games under his belt next season.

Stephen Ireland - Haven't seen him but I've heard from numerous sources that he's highly talented and expected to make a big impact at some stage in the future. I reckon he'll get a few games next season to show what he can do. Can anyone comment on him?

Mark Yeates - Again a player that’s highly talented but he's meant to be notoriously inconsistent and his finishing is poor. He might get a run out next season but I have my doubts whether he'll fulfil his undoubted talent.

Michael Timlin - Another talented player. He's been tipped for a while to make the breakthrough at Fulham but injury has hampered his progress. I can see him being farmed out on loan next year and depending on how he performs possibly getting a few games in the first team on his return.

Can anyone else comment on any of the players above or if there are a few other young Irish players in the premiership that might make the breakthrough before the World Cup?
    Last edited by youngirish; 30/06/2005 at 1:43 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Joey O'Brien should go back on loan for awhile at Wednesday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Wouldn't disagree with much of that except I think it's harsh to say that Flood "failed to prove consistently that he's good enough performer at this level". When you're at his stage of development all you're really looking for are signs that he's good enough. I think he showed flashes of his talent but whether he gets that many chances this season is a doubt, as you say.

I think Elliott will have a more difficult year alright but I think he's a bettter finisher than you make him out. I'm not sure we've ever had a more natural finisher come through our ranks. I think there's so much mediocrity in the Premiership that Elliott could still get a few goals.

If Kyle's injuries don't clear I think Murphy may get some kind of a look in. Mick likes to have one tall striker. Apart from Stead, who else do they have upfront this year? Did he keep Brian Deane on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There's been a lot said about Matthew Connolly recently. As far as I know he was born in Barnet but I'm certain I read somewhere that we were trying to get him to play for us.
    Although I think he's too young for the senior team and will probably have to leave Arsenal in order to progress.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    paul ifill had his chance to progress at spurs and didn't look half as good as kelly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The main reason Flood didn't make more of an impact last season was Shaun Wright-Phillips, arguably the best naturally right-sided winger in the Premiership last season (Duff and Robben are naturally left sided), he scored, and set up goals, and was not going to be dropped for Flood, no matter how well he played in the reserves. It took an injury to get Flood into the first team, and as soon as Shaun was fit, he was back.

Lee Croft was out on loan for the majority of the season at Oldham, picked up a lot of first team experience and when he came back he was given a run to see what he had learned. I wouldn't mind seeing Willo doing the same next season, somewhere like Wednesday, or maybe one of the promoted sides.

There's a lot of talk around Stephen Ireland, he travelled regularly with the first team but never made it into the match day 16, hopefully he will next season.

With any luck Karl Bermingham might be doing the same by the end of the season, Bradley Wright-Phillips won't be playing with the reserves, so he should get a decent run in the reserve side. Once he's shown what he can do, he should get a call up to the full team.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't know anything about Michael Timlin. Anyone got any information on him?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Wouldn't disagree with much of that except I think it's harsh to say that Flood "failed to prove consistently that he's good enough performer at this level". When you're at his stage of development all you're really looking for are signs that he's good enough. I think he showed flashes of his talent but whether he gets that many chances this season is a doubt, as you say.

I think Elliott will have a more difficult year alright but I think he's a bettter finisher than you make him out. I'm not sure we've ever had a more natural finisher come through our ranks. I think there's so much mediocrity in the Premiership that Elliott could still get a few goals.

If Kyle's injuries don't clear I think Murphy may get some kind of a look in. Mick likes to have one tall striker. Apart from Stead, who else do they have upfront this year? Did he keep Brian Deane on?

Kevin Kyle will struggle to be back anytime soon and brian deane has been let go so chris brown , stead and elliott are our strikers this season so murphy is in with a shout .. mick didnt buy him for him to sit in the reserves ... elliott is an excellent finisher and will improve over the season . If you watched Sunderland week in week out you would realise how good his finishing is ..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Yeah I've only seen Elliot a handful of times for Sunderland and in the Ireland games he played (Croatia, China, Faeroe Islands). Any ideas why McCarthy preferred Stewart and Brown at the end of last season as opposed to Stewart and Elliot which was his preferred partnership for a large part of the campaign?

Is Murphy likely to get his game ahead of Brown? I'm also not sure that Sunderland are finished with strikers and I reckon they'll pick up at least one more before the transfer window ends (Morrison possibly) which will be bad news for the Irish lads.

I heard Billy Dennehy is showing potential but he's unlikely to break into the first team squad anytime soon. Has anyone seen anything of him? He's another left winger though and we're not exactly short of players in that position.

It's a pity Thornton acts the a**ehole and is transfer listed as I reckon he has the talent to do well in the premiership.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what about that lad stokes at arsenal, think he's only 16 meant to have great potential. probably wud have to leave arsenal for a first team breakthrough though..
    Why do they sterilize the needles for lethal injections?

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

If you're cross-eyed and have dyslexia, can you read all right?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    It's really tough for kids to break through into Premiership teams, it's going to be tough for all of them but Elliot and Kelly have the best chances I would think. Potter will be swamped with more Spanish imports and I don't think that Flood fits into Pearce's gameplan. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the list didn't get more than 5 starts between them in the league.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinedineontour
    If you watched Sunderland week in week out you would realise how good his finishing is ..
    I think the great thing about Elliott is that he gets all types of goals and with both feet & his head. He got spectacular goals against Wolves & West Ham, tap ins like the equaliser against Ipswich and there was one home game (against Stoke?) where he altered the course of a ball by a fraction to deflect it past the keeper. A real poacher's effort on the goal-line.

For the headed equaliser against Ipswich - if you watch the replays he ran about 20 yards to get onto Deane's knock-down. He read the situation brilliantly.

Pity he didn't score against the Faroes - it's important for a striker to break his duck. Remember Aldo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_rules_ie
    what about that lad stokes at arsenal, think he's only 16 meant to have great potential. probably wud have to leave arsenal for a first team breakthrough though..
    He'll most likely get a run out in the Carling cup. Aliadiere is out on loan to Celtic and van Persie (who started all last seasons CC games) is now a first teamer. So Lupoli and someone else will start next season, hopefully thats Stokes.

Thats why I like the league cup more than the FA cup. Its your first glimpse at a lot of the Irish in first team football for their clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    I don't know anything about Michael Timlin. Anyone got any information on him?
    Yeah, he's in the reserves at Fulham, highly rated by them

from this post - http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=2496...ht=luke+steele

Michael Timlin (Fulham) - played once for the senior team this season, League Cup away to Boston, still highly rated
    Pat Nevin (Fulham reserve manager):
    With his versatility, quality and work rate, I think it's only a matter of time before he forces his way into the First Team squad.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I know its not the premiershipr but What about Aiden McGeady, he has loads of potential, but seemed to fade away towards the end of the season fatigue and the arrival of Bellamy, looks a little lightweight (he should be soending the summer doing weights for upper body strength) but next season really should tell us a lot more about the player!! also Kerry lad (striker) in youth team for Celtic, suppose to have buckets of potential his name is Diarmuid O'Carroll.. No body has mentioned Paul McShane at Utd yet...suppose to have alot of talent too..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Timlin sounds good, thanks for that lads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    He'll most likely get a run out in the Carling cup. Aliadiere is out on loan to Celtic and van Persie (who started all last seasons CC games) is now a first teamer. So Lupoli and someone else will start next season, hopefully thats Stokes.
    It'll more likely be Quicy and Lupoli - the two most consistant performers in the Arsenal reserves. Van Persie played some of the CC games last season as a left winger. Although young Stokes has been doing really well, he definetly sits behind Lupoli and Quincy (possibly Nicklas Bendtner too) in the pecking order but hopefully might see some action.

Young Patrick Creagg should again feature for the reserves and in the carling cup team having done so last year and being on the bench for a Champions League game.
    Last edited by Karlos; 01/07/2005 at 1:08 PM.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Yeah I agree. I think Stokes has lots of potential but its too soon for him. He's not even 17 yet. He could be brilliant or he could fall by the wayside like so many others.

At Arsenal Cregg will possibly get some games this season as may Stephen O'Donnell but I reckon they'd both be better served going out on loan somewhere.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Murphy could do well. Except hes the lazyest ******* when its not going well for him or he doesnt have the ball but he knows where the goal is. Born Finisher

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish
    Yeah I've only seen Elliot a handful of times for Sunderland and in the Ireland games he played (Croatia, China, Faeroe Islands). Any ideas why McCarthy preferred Stewart and Brown at the end of last season as opposed to Stewart and Elliot which was his preferred partnership for a large part of the campaign?

Is Murphy likely to get his game ahead of Brown? I'm also not sure that Sunderland are finished with strikers and I reckon they'll pick up at least one more before the transfer window ends (Morrison possibly) which will be bad news for the Irish lads.

I heard Billy Dennehy is showing potential but he's unlikely to break into the first team squad anytime soon. Has anyone seen anything of him? He's another left winger though and we're not exactly short of players in that position.

It's a pity Thornton acts the a**ehole and is transfer listed as I reckon he has the talent to do well in the premiership.
    just think elliotts first season playing every game took its tole near the end of the season though when he as brought on against west ham scored a cracker to win us the league ... i think we will get one more striker ... imo murphy is a better player than brown already and would be on paper our 3rd striker though i think we will sign kenny miller .

billy dennehy has been a quality midget since he arrived .. cracking little player but not gonna be first team for a while

thonrton ... knob

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast