Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Irish Players in Premiership

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    That's a glowing report of Timlin!! Always nice to read things like that. He may get a look in. Fulham haven't replaced lee Clarke yet.

I've read allot about Stokes aswell. He's supposed to be the next Alan Shearer. One report said that Wenger was a big fan and instructed that he's to be played out of position sometimes to improve his all round game.

A few midfeilders hopefully will break through next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,318 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee
    I've read allot about Stokes aswell. He's supposed to be the next Alan Shearer. One report said that Wenger was a big fan and instructed that he's to be played out of position sometimes to improve his all round game.
    Moyes did something similar with Rooney, played him out on the wing, where he wouldn't be expected to score from, to get him used to playing in big games, without the pressure of being expected to win it all by himself
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    If Kyle's injuries don't clear I think Murphy may get some kind of a look in. Mick likes to have one tall striker. Apart from Stead, who else do they have upfront this year? Did he keep Brian Deane on?
    Brian Dean has been released by Sunderland.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stokes played 8 games for Arsenal Reserves scoring 4 goals. Not a bad return for a 16 year old. Well Bergkamp is 36, Van Persie is up for rape, they dont have many strikers to partner Henry.

Eddie Nolan(midfielder) is a regular at Blackburn reserves at 16 as well. Everyone was after him Man u included. He picked Blackburn cos of the chance they said they'd give him and their facilities(Echoes of robbie goin to Wolves instead of Liverpool). Captain of u15 and u16 ireland at 15.He has his feet firmly on the ground.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I thought the Nolan lad was a Centre Half....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch
    Stokes played 8 games for Arsenal Reserves scoring 4 goals.
    Stokes played 20 games for the reserves (started 14) and scored 8. He played half the games in midfield. He also played 15 games for the U18's.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?a...ves+and+Youths

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch
    Stokes played 8 games for Arsenal Reserves scoring 4 goals. Not a bad return for a 16 year old. Well Bergkamp is 36, Van Persie is up for rape, they dont have many strikers to partner Henry.
    As i said in an earlier post he's not just behind Henry, Van Persie, Bergkamp and Reyes (and anyone else Wenger brings in) - he's also behind Aliadierre, Quincy, Lupoli and Bendtner at present. He's only 16 though and Wenger does rate him highly.

He has plently of time, we'll know much more about him in the next 2 years or so.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    As i said in an earlier post he's not just behind Henry, Van Persie, Bergkamp and Reyes (and anyone else Wenger brings in) - he's also behind Aliadierre, Quincy, Lupoli and Bendtner at present. He's only 16 though and Wenger does rate him highly.

He has plently of time, we'll know much more about him in the next 2 years or so.
    I agree with all that but he's not behind Bendtner. Quincy is a greedy bugger and is not really a goalscorer. I'd say Stokes is in with a good chance of getting a Carling cup run. I really, really doubt Quincy will end up a striker in a few years.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 05/07/2005 at 6:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I agree with all that but he's not behind Bendtner. Quincy is a greedy bugger and is not really a goalscorer. I'd say Stokes is in with a good chance of getting a Carling cup run. I really, really doubt Quincy will end up a striker in a few years.
    You either spend far too much time on Championship Manager or your addiction to football/numbers is disturbing. That said, keep the in-depth analyses coming. It makes me sound like I'm informed when talking to all the lads and, more importantly, to Mrs. PP.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,318 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    he's also behind Aliadierre, Quincy, Lupoli and Bendtner at present. He's only 16 though and Wenger does rate him highly.
    Well Aliadiere is at Celtic this season, so that's one less striker, Quincy will probably end up as a winger, with his pace and Wenger's penchant for moving strikers out onto the wing - e.g. Reyes - that's another one less. I agree with eirebhoy about Stokes getting a game or 2 in the League Cup next season, after that, who knows? A few injuries or suspensions towards the end of the season and he might even get a game in the Premiership. 2 seasons ago, Fabregas broke the record for Arsenal's youngest ever scorer at senior level, last season he deputised quite admirably for Gilberto and Vieira at various parts of the season.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Here's a few links on some of the young Irish players so people can make their own judgements:

Stokes profile:
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?a...thony%20Stokes

Cregg profile:
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?a...atrick%20Cregg

O'Donnell profile:
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?article=261059&title=Young%20Guns%20-%20Stephen%20O'Donnell

Spurs Reserve Team Coach Clive Allen on Mark Yeates:
    http://www.spurs.co.uk/article.asp?hlid=287078

Stephen Ireland:
    http://www.mcfc.co.uk/article.asp?id...fans+favourite

Michael Timlin:
    http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/footbal...test_6310.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    You either spend far too much time on Championship Manager or your addiction to football/numbers is disturbing. That said, keep the in-depth analyses coming. It makes me sound like I'm informed when talking to all the lads and, more importantly, to Mrs. PP.

PP
    lol. I've never seen Bendtner play in my life but Stokes is ahead of him in the acadamy. Stokes started 14 games for the reserves while Bendtner started just 4 and was a regular for the U-18's. Stokes is a few months younger. I seen Quincy play a few times in the World youth Championships and also seen him play for Arsenal. He's a bit of a C.Ronaldo who uses his pace more and is a lot more greedy. He set up a goal in the WYC and actually ran away to the corner on his own celebrating as if he scored. Here's a compilation of him:
    http://www.soccerclips.net/request.p...2bn0577ev4.zip (if that link doesn't work just go to soccerclips and search for Owusu-Abeyie)

Stokes scored twice as many goals as him in less games last season so I can't see him staying a striker.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Yeates and Kelly both played a half each as Spurs beat Stevenage in a pre-season friendly. Kelly looked to have more of an impact than Yeates judging from this article:
    http://www.spurs.co.uk/article.asp?hlid=290447

Also Potter laid on a goal as Liverpool beat Wrexham 4-3.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...50709-1651.htm

Joey O'Brien was also in action for Bolton but isn't mentioned at all in the match report.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gally
    I thought the Nolan lad was a Centre Half....
    Well according to the Blackburn website, he is a defender!!!
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue til i die
    Well according to the Blackburn website, he is a defender!!!
    There seems to be a tendancy to describe centre-backs as centre-halfs
    I don't know why but it is extremly common.

Here is an example of Richard Dunnne

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player?id=8210&cc=5739

He is listed correctly as a defender but then it says

"Dunne is a big, powerful and pacy centre half. "

This must cause a great deal of confusion. I don't know why or when this
    trend started but it is very persistant I regularly hear premiership managers
    make this "mistake".

Here is another example
    http://www.threemonkeysonline.com/th...ble.php?id=131

Defensively, Cunningham and O’Brien seem to have nailed down the 2 centre-half slots"

Three not so wise monkeys perhaps.
    It is so common that unless they name a specific player I have no idea
    who is being talked about when the term "centre half" is used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    tricky_colour - "Centre half" has been used to describe a centre back for years. Its the only phrase I use when talking about central defenders.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    tricky_colour - "Centre half" has been used to describe a centre back for years. Its the only phrase I use when talking about central defenders.
    That may well be the case but as far as I am concerned there are
    three 'lines' of players, backs, centres, and forwards, referring to the
    back, centre and front of the pitch respectively.

so a team would be as follow
    keeper
    Leftback centreback centreback rightback
    lefthalf, centrehalf centrehalf rightcentre
    centreforward centreforward

Hence Roy Keane in his traditional position would be a centre-half
    as he plays in the centre of the pitch widthwise, and halfway up the
    pitch lenghtwise.

Now take Cunningham or O'Brien as centre-halfs, we can both agree
    that they play at the centre of the pitch widthwise, but then where
    does the 'half' bit come in? Hence the term 'half', used to describe
    players who play at the back makes no sense to me.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    You're technically right Tricky but the fashion seems to be to call centre-backs "centre-halves" and it has been for some while. It's the term I always use. It's just the football vernacular I suppose. In rugby the term "lock" changes meaning every 10 years or so. It used to mean no.8 (now called no.8!) whereas now it's a second row forward.

I also think there's too much variability in style to pigeon hole people in the exact roles you spell out. Defensive midfielder / holding midfielder / attacking midfielder / playmaker all have subtlee differences between them. Likewise winger & left half or outside left etc. mean different things too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This should clear it up:

The position is sometimes referred to as centre half. In the early part of the 20th century, when most teams employed the 2-3-5 formation, the row of three players were called half backs. As formations evolved, the central player in this trio (the centre half), moved into a more defensive position on the field, taking the name of the position with him.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_half#Centre_back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Well Aliadiere is at ****** this season, so that's one less striker, Quincy will probably end up as a winger, with his pace and Wenger's penchant for moving strikers out onto the wing - e.g. Reyes - that's another one less. I agree with eirebhoy about Stokes getting a game or 2 in the League Cup next season, after that, who knows? A few injuries or suspensions towards the end of the season and he might even get a game in the Premiership. 2 seasons ago, Fabregas broke the record for Arsenal's youngest ever scorer at senior level, last season he deputised quite admirably for Gilberto and Vieira at various parts of the season.
    Quincy played almost all of his games up front including 2 of the 3 first team games he played. It was in fact Stokes who was often moved to the right side of midfield with the reserves. The preferred pairing was Quincy & Lupoli.

With regard to Reyes, he played as a left midfielder more often than not at Seville, it was in fact Wenger who decided to play him as a front man which is more like Wengers ideal of turning wingers into frontmen where possible as was the case with Henry and now with Quincy in the reserves and first team.

Stokes may well get a game in the League Cup (and I hope he does ) but from what I've seen of the reserves he's a way to go to reach the levels Lupoli and Quincy have displayed to be considered for first team games last season. In return those lads have a huge struggle to push aside Reyes, Van Persie, Bergkamp, Henry and Hleb (who is rumoured to be converting to a deep lying striker) and god knows who else should Wenger sign another stiker.

The return of David Bentley also makes it more difficult for Stokes should Bentley stick around. Bentley has been primed for the Denis Bergkamp role for a while at Arsenal and is another who is considered as a striker by Wenger although Worthington did play him on the right some times at Norwich although I believe that was more down to neccessity than anything else. Bentley himself has a fight to push Robin Van Persie out of that role.

Nicklas Bendter is one Wenger fought hard to secure from Copenhagen. His displays in the last 5 or 6 games of the season have escalated up the youngster hot list. I read an article about him in a recent Arsenal programme where Brady and Wenger discussed how is 6 ft 3 frame could become very useful for Arsenal. I expect to see us try him out in a carling cup game to see how his ariel game might work for us should he continue to show the form he displayed. He's one many see as a possible breakthrough squad player based on his style of game as much as anything. He scored 17 goals between the reserve and youth team squads and was the second highest scorer at that level behind Lupoli although Stokes did get 4 more goals in the reserves than Bendter.

I think the point really is that are many talented footballers possibly closer to getting into the first team than Stokes at the moment and from what I have seen of him, he is no better than any of them although he is a smashing young player. I won't get too carried away after the even bigger hype that surrounded the last great Irish hope Graham Barrett who had an even better strike rate at youth level for Arsenal.

The great thing for Stokes is that he's a year or so younger than most of the lads but operating at the same level. His age will probably mean he gets a longer chance to breakthrough, i.e. some of the others will be moved on if they haven't delivered. I'd love to see him do well and break through this year but I don't think personally it will be another Cole, Fabregas or Senderos scenario (although I'd love to be wrong ). If I was a betting man I'd be looking towards Quincy, Lupoli, Eboue or Hoyte making a mark this time around or for a real outside flutter - Fabrice Muamba.
    Last edited by Karlos; 12/07/2005 at 2:18 PM.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast