Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Save tolka park!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts

Save tolka park!

https://savetolkapark.com/

Tolka Park is one of Ireland’s most significant sites of sporting culture and history. Since 1924, the stadium has been enmeshed in the cultural life and sporting traditions of Dublin City. As a stadium, Tolka has a proud legacy; hosting the first floodlit football match in the Republic of Ireland in 1953, being the venue for the first televised League of Ireland game in 1997, and becoming the first all-seater stadium in domestic football in 1999.
    Tolka Park is, and always has been, an asset to Irish football and to the local community – acting as a home for Drumcondra, Home Farm, Shamrock Rovers, and since 1989, Shelbourne. It has hosted games for men and women, at every level, from local and junior football, right up to the top European competitions.

The Save Tolka Park campaign is a coalition of local residents, football fans and activists united in opposition to the sale of the stadium to private developers. We believe, that with the right investment and planning, Tolka Park can be so much more.

Our alternative proposal sets out our vision for a bright, new future for Tolka Park, with community facilities such as a gym, crèche, café, enterprise centre and public toilets becoming part of a reimagined stadium.
    Prob my favourite always go to away grounds. Just have an affinity for Tolka.

PETITION To: Dublin City councillors, Catherine Martin TD (Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media), Jack Chambers TD (Minister of State - Sports and the Gaeltacht)

Save Tolka Park -
    https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/save-...4BEfwaVklAWEGk

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    https://savetolkapark.com/

Prob my favourite always go to away grounds. Just have an affinity for Tolka.

PETITION To: Dublin City councillors, Catherine Martin TD (Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media), Jack Chambers TD (Minister of State - Sports and the Gaeltacht)

Save Tolka Park -
    https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/save-...4BEfwaVklAWEGk
    Scene of our first ever Cup Final twenty years ago. There was torrential downpour in second half and all of our support base behind goals were soaked! Remember the FAI Cup final programme being ruined due to the rain and I had to reorder it from club itself!Great memories.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    I would broadly support this, but why have their fans waited so long to get this going?

Would be sad to see Tolka go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Scene of our first ever Cup Final twenty years ago. There was torrential downpour in second half and all of our support base behind goals were soaked! Remember the FAI Cup final programme being ruined due to the rain and I had to reorder it from club itself!Great memories.
    Shortest ever reigning cup winners in 2002 beating a hotly favorited Kenny's Bohs, a week after our relegation - great memories of he day including the ex gf getting annoyed over something and tearing up the tickets up outside the Cat and Cage. Some laughs trying to use those tickets but guy on the gate was sound. Bohs v Aberdeen was another good memory in Tolka - im sure few want it to go but are bein pragmatic on it.

6. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I hope she became the ex as a direct result of that behaviour?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    This iconic ground has to be saved, I´ll support it as much as I can. 50 years from now on, people of north Dublin will start asking questions "Why there is just housing and shops everywhere, when grandfather told me there used to be nice grounds for sport entertainment like Dalymount, Tolka, Morton etc."

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Proverbial straw,,,,but not the end of the fun that night as guest of the club for thats nights meal etc. I now laugh!!

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Saw a 'Save Tolka Park' sticker on a lamp post in Cork earlier. Twas random.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    This iconic ground has to be saved, I´ll support it as much as I can. 50 years from now on, people of north Dublin will start asking questions "Why there is just housing and shops everywhere, when grandfather told me there used to be nice grounds for sport entertainment like Dalymount, Tolka, Morton etc."
    Dalymount and Morton will still be there. Plus Croke Park, and Whitehall. And lots of other North Dublin sporting facilities too, ya big drama queen

If only Shels hadn't screwed up financially and bought a few trophies with the proceeds, they'd still be masters of their own destiny. Reaping what they've sown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    This is like standing at a quayside, peititioning the local community to stop a ship from leaving the docks when it's already on the horizon.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Was in Tolka last year for the first time in a while and was genuinely shocked at the state of it. I agree that this effort seems to be futile. Far too late in the day I would think.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Crazy isn't it?
    Fair play to all Shelbourne fans,club and to everyone who kept the show on the road. Always keep the presh on!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Was Tolka Park and Dalymount not given to Dublin City Council in order to get rid of massive debts owed by both clubs. Will Dublin City Council get its money back.
    I do not agree with the council when they say they will rezone it and sell it to private developers. Why not develop it themselves and give the housing to people in need of it.
    I would like to see it remain a football ground but the question is who will plan, fund it, build it and run it.
    This story echoes the woes of many League of Ireland clubs in so many ways.
    If it is given back to somebody there has to be a viable plan in place to ensure it succeeds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stav View Post
    Was Tolka Park and Dalymount not given to Dublin City Council in order to get rid of massive debts owed by both clubs. Will Dublin City Council get its money back.
    I do not agree with the council when they say they will rezone it and sell it to private developers. Why not develop it themselves and give the housing to people in need of it.
    I would like to see it remain a football ground but the question is who will plan, fund it, build it and run it.
    This story echoes the woes of many League of Ireland clubs in so many ways.
    If it is given back to somebody there has to be a viable plan in place to ensure it succeeds.
    "Shels have a deadline of today to put more flesh on the bones of their idea."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-41410043.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Great turn out in temple bar tonight. I thought it would be more or a Loi chit chat night but was mainly about the music. The best part was Kerr & stuey Byrne. I got the impression that the save tolka campaign have to paddle their own canoe separate from shelbourne fc for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Great turn out in temple bar tonight. I thought it would be more or a Loi chit chat night but was mainly about the music. The best part was Kerr & stuey Byrne. I got the impression that the save tolka campaign have to paddle their own canoe separate from shelbourne fc for some reason.
    Wots this in temple bar D24 saint??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Wots this in temple bar D24 saint??
    The Save Tolka Park campaign had a fundraiser last night in the Button Factory , it’s a fantastic little venue. I would have preferred more stories but it was a great night. Fair play to the campaign for their efforts.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    The Save Tolka Park campaign had a fundraiser last night in the Button Factory , it’s a fantastic little venue. I would have preferred more stories but it was a great night. Fair play to the campaign for their efforts.
    Yeah seen an article on this on one of the loi sites. Great idea for STP crew!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Safely back in the arms of Jesus

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Is Mauro Picotto coming to Tolka Park???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast