Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 18th/21st June

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Agrreed , Sligo are the best team Bohs have played , by some distance.We'll see what Towell brings to Rovers but good enough anyway for top two..Pat's hanging in there though.One of the current top three will win the cup.
    Between Bohs Dundalk and Derry for fourth.
    I wouldn't rule Dundalk, Derry or Bohs out of winning the Cup, 4th mightn't be enough for Europe this year.

Nice to win the 18 game title though. Hopefully we take advantage of the 2 Rovers being in Europe and end July a few points ahead on top.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Bohs can't defend, which is why we will end up mid-table. That Icelandic team will be licking their chops when they study the videos of us before the European game.

Besides that, it's great to see a 3 way tie at the top at this stage of the season. It's wide open.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Yeah, a feeling of dread and despair washed over me when you tipped Bohs.
    If you sorted out your centre halves you'd win the league. Still think Bohs are the more dangerous going forward but Sligo aren't conceding much at all. They were the best defensive unit we've played whereas Bohs have been the most threatening for me. That's only on games against mind you. If Bolger and that back 4 at Sligo stay fit until the end they could do it but equally if Bohs could stop conceding they could do it. Or Pats might just have the right balance.

Great season for the neutral. I'm hating it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    I think a crucial period is ahead for us. If we bring in a few players then we have an opportunity to at least compete for the league for a while. The longer we stay in the hunt the more probable it becomes that we can reach our target of getting back into Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    We’re already without 2 of our back 4 with Buckley and McCourt out. Hopefully Buckley is back soon enough. Blayney had a bad day against Drogheda but isn’t a bad option but Buckley is such a great passer from the back. Donelon is an ok replacement for McCourt.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    If you sorted out your centre halves you'd win the league. Still think Bohs are the more dangerous going forward but Sligo aren't conceding much at all. They were the best defensive unit we've played whereas Bohs have been the most threatening for me. That's only on games against mind you. If Bolger and that back 4 at Sligo stay fit until the end they could do it but equally if Bohs could stop conceding they could do it. Or Pats might just have the right balance.

Great season for the neutral. I'm hating it.
    The frustrating thing is that for once Long has depth in the squad other than a CF

His insistence on not playing Levinston as Centre mid and continuing to play two tired under 21 's, Tierney and Devoy with good experienced options on the bench is baffling.
    The absence of a defensive mid screen in front of the back 4 killed us against Sligo.
    Long wont change so we will collate between 4-0 wins and soft defeats.
    Ultimately league winners are boring and predictable, ekeing out narrow wins ruthlessly and managing games .Bohs aren't that team, Sligo aren't that team, Rovers and Pat's are closest to that profile

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    The frustrating thing is that for once Long has depth in the squad other than a CF

His insistence on not playing Levinston as Centre mid and continuing to play two tired under 21 's, Tierney and Devoy with good experienced options on the bench is baffling.
    The absence of a defensive mid screen in front of the back 4 killed us against Sligo.
    Long wont change so we will collate between 4-0 wins and soft defeats.
    Ultimately league winners are boring and predictable, ekeing out narrow wins ruthlessly and managing games .Bohs aren't that team, Sligo aren't that team, Rovers and Pat's are closest to that profile
    I had a nightmare a few weeks back that Bohs signed Bolger instead of Sligo. Terrifying.

Any idea what's up with Hery?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I had a nightmare a few weeks back that Bohs signed Bolger instead of Sligo. Terrifying.

Any idea what's up with Hery?
    Other than wasnt fit, carrying an injury , no..
    Would like to think he will be the number 10 for the second half of the season, and Mallon andevinson will feature more.But Kong is as stubborn as Bradley on player selection.
    Interesting about Bolger, his ability as a footballer rather than an enforcer is being highlighted in Sligo, wouldn't have got into our side ahead of Buckley ffs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Long not Kong,

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Out of curiosity ... with 3 teams on the same points and the same GD. Would the Champions be decided by goals scored if that's how the table finished up at the end of the season??

Its mad how seasons can change in LOI. 18 games last season and there was a runaway leader, with the same games played this year its as tight as a duck's ar$e.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Out of curiosity ... with 3 teams on the same points and the same GD. Would the Champions be decided by goals scored if that's how the table finished up at the end of the season??

Its mad how seasons can change in LOI. 18 games last season and there was a runaway leader, with the same games played this year its as tight as a duck's ar$e.
    Normally it would be goals scored but if Rovers are involved we may have to let the FAI have another look at the rulebook as Pats currently have 30 and we only have 27

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Yeah, it's GD then GF. After that perhaps a repeat of the 92/93 season!
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post

Its mad how seasons can change in LOI. 18 games last season and there was a runaway leader, with the same games played this year its as tight as a duck's ar$e
    Nuts alright. Really disappointed the Rovers team of last year couldn't stick together this year but even if they had, I think it would be a closer run thing. Would've still fancied us to be well clear by the end but Pats and Sligo have come a long way. Just shows what a bit of consistency and a few good signings can do. Stephen O'Donnell under serious pressure last year and now...would any Pat's fan not want him to be there long term?

Would you put Bolger down as the primary reason for Sligo clicking more this season redobit? Few other signings caught my eye but he seems like the driving force.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I think Bradley fancied you to be well clear too. Eye off the ball? Many commented on how quietly but solidly Sligo were going about transfer business (Letting Bolger leave was an error in he wake of losing other influential midfielders) and Pats needed a few key signings and time though could yet suffer from a lack of strength beyond 1st choice. Towell seemed like a late decision to shore up things at Tallaght, yet to see if it works out. Ye get the impression that Rovers fans question team selection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    We signed very well this season with Bolger, Gibson, Romeo, Walter, McCourt, Horgan and Blayney all in general making positive impressions. That never happens. Usually have a few duds each year. Then Mahon back from injury and Kenny and Byrne coming through it’s a much stronger squad. Still thought we were beginning to drop off but hopefully Saturdays win kicks us on again.

6 of the starting 11 came through the academy which is great to see. Buckley not afraid to give lads a chance.
    Last edited by Nah Nah Nah Nah; 29/06/2021 at 9:50 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I think Bradley fancied you to be well clear too. Eye off the ball? Many commented on how quietly but solidly Sligo were going about transfer business (Letting Bolger leave was an error in he wake of losing other influential midfielders) and Pats needed a few key signings and time though could yet suffer from a lack of strength beyond 1st choice. Towell seemed like a late decision to shore up things at Tallaght, yet to see if it works out. Ye get the impression that Rovers fans question team selection.
    Not sure on the first part. I don't think it's a lack of focus or a belief in the camp that we would stroll the league again. I think that if he's guilty of anything it's in believing he had a better chance of holding on the Byrne and McEneff than he did in reality. Maybe he had happy ears when Jack was saying he might stay. Maybe the McEneff interest heated up quite quickly and caught him off guard.

I thought that when we lost them both, we might just be able to get by by spreading the creative workload of Jack and the box to box workload of McEneff across Finn, Watts, Mandroiu/Burke and O'Neill but that hasn't panned out. Finn and Watts haven't been available enough and O'Neill isn't the same player when McEneff isn't beside him. Add to that the signing of McCann not being up to scratch and we are where we are. If we can get Watts and Finn back in for the rest of the season and Towell is even 75% of the player he was previously we should still win the league I think. But it will be a slog and if I was a Pats or Sligo or Bohs fan I'd smell blood. Throw yourselves in the mix there if you get a result on Friday.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    We signed very well this season with Bolger, Gibson, Romeo, Walter, McCourt, Horgan and Blayney all in general making positive impressions. That never happens. Usually have a few duds each year. Then Mahon back from injury and Kenny and Byrne coming through it’s a much stronger squad. Still thought we were beginning to drop off but hopefully Saturdays win kicks us on again.

6 of the starting 11 came through the academy which is great to see. Buckley not afraid to give lads a chance.
    That's quality. How was the Sligo academy set up? Is it a partnership with local schoolboy clubs or it's own thing entirely? Don't know a thing about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Maybe SRFCII were actually Sligo but letting Shams take the heat lol. Not afraid to play youngsters that didnt have the possibility of a season in senior football prior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    That's quality. How was the Sligo academy set up? Is it a partnership with local schoolboy clubs or it's own thing entirely? Don't know a thing about it.
    Own thing as far as I’m aware. Trials at the start of the season from what I can see to get a panel at the younger levels. Haven’t heard of too much pushback from local clubs but not as big a business as it is in Dublin etc.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Nuts alright. Really disappointed the Rovers team of last year couldn't stick together this year but even if they had, I think it would be a closer run thing. Would've still fancied us to be well clear by the end but Pats and Sligo have come a long way. Just shows what a bit of consistency and a few good signings can do. Stephen O'Donnell under serious pressure last year and now...would any Pat's fan not want him to be there long term?

Would you put Bolger down as the primary reason for Sligo clicking more this season redobit? Few other signings caught my eye but he seems like the driving force.
    Bolger has been immense for us since he came in, his performances and chipping in with the odd goal has made a huge difference. One thing that he has brought that we were missing was leadership on the pitch (something you could argue we havent really had since the Danny Ventre days). I dont know what his role might have been at Shamrock if he had stayed but he came here and was given the armband and is helping to guide the younger players. To answer your question, I think it might be a bit unfair to say he is the primary reason, obviously a huge part. Id agree with what NNNN said that we have signed well with no passengers plus there is a good team spirit. I can't see us winning it if im honest but looking forward to finding out.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast