Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I'd like 532 if all fit against Portugal

Kelleher
    Doherty Coleman Egan Steven's brady
    Cullen McCarthy
    Knight
    Idah Connolly

If we playing 2 up top then hopefully obafemi can find form cause I think he is really suited to playing in a 2 and that pace and power and finishing can do damage at international level certainly at the level below the very top tier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I read on the times about obafemi being a flight risk, not sure how true that is. I think you're right though against Hungary the last day we lacked that bit of pace from parrot or idah on teh counter. Would have suited someone with pace like obafemi. He might still have lashed it into the upper tiers though!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I would like to see

Kelleher
    Duffy Egan O'Shea
    Coleman Browne Cullen McClean
    Robinson Smallbone
    Connolly

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Circumstance can dictate a side that "picks" itself
    That's still a team that picks itself

In Liamoo11's team, 2 midfielders and 3 attacking players have < 10 caps each.
    SK has the task to mould a decent team which includes a bunch of average/below intl. standard players with <10 caps each and the weakest CM that I can remember.
    We have a way to go yet before players nail down their place and hopefully Kenny is up to the task.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    That's still a team that picks itself

In Liamoo11's team, 2 midfielders and 3 attacking players have < 10 caps each.
    SK has the task to mould a decent team which includes a bunch of average/below intl. standard players with <10 caps each and the weakest CM that I can remember.
    We have a way to go yet before players nail down their place and hopefully Kenny is up to the task.
    I think the international experience these players you mention are getting now will likely benefit an Irish international manager in the future just not sure that will be Kenny.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    I'm more optimistic than i've been in a while.

the midfield is crap etc, but the truth is that you can get round that in international football with good organisation. Finland are in the Euros with a team that plods along, but they have a goalscorer.

We don't have one, but the way Parrott took the game by the scruff of the neck against Andorra suggests we might do soon. He looks like he's made of the right stuff to me.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I think the international experience these players you mention are getting now will likely benefit an Irish international manager in the future just not sure that will be Kenny.
    I doubt it will be with Stephen Kenny. 1 or 2 more defeats and he will be gone I expect.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I doubt it will be with Stephen Kenny. 1 or 2 more defeats and he will be gone I expect.
    I'm not a Kenny fan and all along I said it was just a sop to the league of Ireland cabal but so much time has been invested in it now that I cant see there been any imminent change in manager. I really dislike how Kenny has disparaged previous managers saying they didnt believe in the players didnt bring players through etc which is just so unnecessary. It's that same old nonsense as managers at club level coming in and saying the players just aren't fit enough and we need to do double running sessions to get them to the correct level it's a painfully obvious distraction attempt. Then I look at how totally unimaginative we have been on set pieces and disorganised defensively( how easily we been opened up through our midfield on transition) and yet media seem to totally ignore this or critique this

The truth is Kenny just plays the game how the rest of Europe play now he is just a sheep following the trend set by countries and clubs with far superior players. Against Hungary at one stage on our goal kick we had 6 of our outfield players either within or right on the edge of our box most of them facing our goal with no idea of what was happening behind them. That is a crazy tactic with players of our standard who just are not comfortable taking a ball in their own penalty area under pressure and getting turned. Kenny is just managing by numbers following the perceived wisdom of the day instead of adapting to the players we have and fitting his philosophy(which he seems to think is playing the same as top sides) to get the best he can from this group. He reminds me of an architect who copies plans from houses in LA for a new house in roscommon.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Duffy, Egan and O'Shea looked quite good as a back-3 combination against Hungary, indeed we looked as solid and competitive as we have in a long time, and although that comes with obvious qualifications it was heartening to see. That base appears to be something we can build on and I'm not sure why Kenny would change that aspect of the team at least. We need to start to finding a bit of consistency with the formation and personnel now if we are to go on and improve as a side.

The wingbacks, McClean and Doherty, did well too I think, although a rejuvenated Coleman would improve upon that again once he becomes available.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Although he's currently uncapped I'd expect Collins to force his way into the first team within the next 6 to 12 months. With that in mind 3-5-2 now seems the obvious formation for us going forward for a number of reasons.

Firstly, because we have a number of centre back options and the formation obviously gets three on the pitch. If our first choices are Collins-Egan-O'Shea that still leaves Duffy, Omobamidele and Clark as backup options.

Also at full back/wing back - Coleman is obviously comfortable in either position but Doherty is really only a wing back - and Coleman is obviously getting on a bit in terms of planning for the future. I think McNamara is also a very interesting prospect on the right and has looked comfortable as a wing back when I've seen him play.

Similar situation at left back - I'm not sure we actually have a natural left back who can play in a four - Stevens has always looked a bit uncomfortable in that setup to me. Whereas playing a left wing back brings in Manning and McClean as options as well as Stevens obviously.

Sticking with 4-3-3 requires us to find a quality 10, which we just don't have at this point in time. Whereas in a 3-5-2 with two up front we can play three central midfielders and hopefully get Knight on the field somewhere closer to his natural position.

Finally two up front gives us some nice options - any two from Connolly, Robinson, Idah and Parrott is a promising position to be in. It also solves our issue of not having a natural right sided forward in a front 3 and allows Doherty or Coleman to drive forward into that position instead.

It definitely seems like there's something there if we can put all that together and that's what is be focusing on this summer if I was in Stephen Kenny's position.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 13/06/2021 at 3:53 PM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I agree with that. 3-5-2 clearly seems to be the commonsense formation given our particular group of players.

McNamara indeed looks to be a very useful option as a wingback. Ferry, Flynn and Ebosele, whilst they clearly aren't ready now, look to be promising future additions in that area too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    So has he been forced or accidentally stumbled upon our best formation? They key question is will be stick with this when everyone's available?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I agree with Eirambler here and would add that the presence of Anthony Barry is also helpful in terms of implementing the formation given the prevalence of it at Chelsea.

That Ebosele could come into the reckoning quite quickly if he starts the season in and around the Derby team. Fine player.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    I agree with that. 3-5-2 clearly seems to be the commonsense formation given our particular group of players.

McNamara indeed looks to be a very useful option as a wingback. Ferry, Flynn and Ebosele, whilst they clearly aren't ready now, look to be promising future additions in that area too.
    Can't mention those without Tyreik Wright. He looked like arguably our best player in the 21s at left wing back!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Can't mention those without Tyreik Wright. He looked like arguably our best player in the 21s at left wing back!
    No big deal but he was playing as a winger with the 21s. They were playing 4-3-3 with Lyons/Ebosele at right back and Richards/Ferry at left back and Flynn coming off the bench on both sides

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I'm not a Kenny fan and all along I said it was just a sop to the league of Ireland cabal
    I'm one of the LOI cabal so I hope you take this as me not having a go, but do you really think the LOI cabal has any power over decisions made in the FAI? Like, historically, are there any examples whatsoever of this? Like I honestly think you're usually spot on Liamo, but I don't understand this point.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Thread locked and archived
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011