Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungary v Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 8th June 2021 - Friendly

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    There's a huge pair of variables to factor into the goalkeeper decision equation. Where will Kelleher and Bazunu be next season? I reckon Kelleher will be number 2 at the Pool. Does Bazunu have enough in the bank to get a Championship move? Or maybe he finds a League One side near Manchester and trains a little with City, as was intended last season but for COVID. Otherwise, a foreign trip might be no harm to him. Belgium, the Netherlands and Spain have all welcomed plenty young City players.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    The fact we had some youngsters playing was the only encouragement for me. Hungary are a poor side and we should have shown more attacking intent. I keep hearing we are moving towards a more attractive style of football but I will never understand why people like the idea of passing for passing sake apart from the chance to sing ole a few times. Put em under pressure!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    All fair.

Though if Bazunu is on such a dramatic trajectory of improvement why would you want to stop him?
    Cos Kelleher is better of course!

Next season will be interesting for both. Will Bazunu get a loan deal higher than L1? He was dropped for the last two months and that won't be a good look to Championship clubs. Will Kelleher get a loan deal at all? He needs one and there's rumours he'll get one

Edit - Ole Ole read my mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Also, watch as Hungary get stuffed 4-0 by Portugal in the z Euros now...

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Also, watch as Hungary get stuffed 4-0 by Portugal in the z Euros now...
    They probably will, they arent a very good side. But from our point of view we were looking for signs of improvement over the last 2 games and I think we've seen some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Yeah, that's definitely true. I'm more confident now than last Wednesday. While still acknowledging it's a bloody weak Ireland team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    It was an improvement tonight. It’s a pity the performance against v Andorra wasn’t better as the week would have been a success for Kenny if it had been. It’s no point getting over excited but after the recent bad run you would have to take a bit of positivity out it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Well he's playing at Wycombe, so I think it's fair to say there's a fair few players better than him!

I remember seeing him at Dundalk in the Euro run and my view was that he was a great winger with almost no end product at all. Was frustrating to watch at times. I think he's improved since, but still - Wycombe players haven't historically gotten in our squad for good reason
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    We probably say this a lot but Horgan is a chap who would have been better off on the continent. He has played under a few managers that like an agricultural side at club level.
    I agree and think this is an issue for him, he has often performed better in a rag tag international side than at club level. Wouldnt have had a hope in hell of being capped if it wasnt for SK knowing him and his potential. He isnt a kid any more but he is capable of a better standard than just being an energetic body to get in the way at Wycombe or Hibs. I dont really agree on the club European performances, he often stood out as a player that was going to climb levels, not wanting to cherry pick games but v Alkmaar the Dutch media had him as THE danger man and the Dutch know a thing or 2 about good wingers Maybe he is most effective for Ireland as an impact sub to run at tired defenders, but in terms of his club career I wouldnt be at all surprised if he moved especially after relegation to L1. International performances put him in the shop window, he demonstrated quality technique with limited opportunity and he recognised and made a run that with some vision (by Idah I think) and a squarish ball in to his path he was one on one with the keeper. I'm not an official Horgan fans club but I do think that we have players that would thrive in less physical, agricultural leagues than in lower English or Scottish leagues. It would certainly feed in to Kenny's belief in how the game should be played - a lot of these lads just dont look comfortable with the time they have on the ball at International level which conversely makes them hesitant and lose possession. Less helter skelter style leagues on the continent would help or players at international style - why not La Liga 2 and still be in the national side than L2 in England. It should be encouraged to widen options away from the UK!

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

Next season will be interesting for both. Will Bazunu get a loan deal higher than L1? He was dropped for the last two months and that won't be a good look to Championship clubs. Will Kelleher get a loan deal at all? He needs one and there's rumours he'll get one

I wouldn't be too worried about Bazunu being dropped towards the end of a loan to be honest. Barry-Murphy said he needed a rest but I'd say it was as much to do with seeing what Lynch had to offer in preparation for the next season. The club is now up for sale as well. Probably half thinking of who they could put in the shop window and Bazunu wasn't going to be an option for them moving forward.

Hopefully they both get their loans. Is it better to go to a club like Rochdale where you're going to be exposed every week or go learn how to be a cog in a better defensive unit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Yeah, that's definitely true. I'm more confident now than last Wednesday. While still acknowledging it's a bloody weak Ireland team
    It is a weak team, and would be under any manager at the moment, but at least we have positives in the young players we have. Parrott, Idah, Knight, O'Shea, Molumby, Bazunu and Kelleher have all looked pretty good in the last week. If we were in this scenario with a bunch of 30 somethings with nothing on the horizon I'd be worried.

We have a ways to go but I genuinely think we will be a very good side in the next few years.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts

Great minds. Just saw Kenny's post match interview and he put playing "regularly" in bold and underlined it in reference to the two keepers so he's thinking the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Barry-Murphy said he needed a rest but I'd say it was as much to do with seeing what Lynch had to offer in preparation for the next season. The club is now up for sale as well. Probably half thinking of who they could put in the shop window and Bazunu wasn't going to be an option for them moving forward.
    Not sure about that analysis. They were in a relegation dogfight and you don't start thinking about who you can put in the shop window 10 weeks out from the end. And results picked up too; they were a tiny bit unlucky (a 96th minute equaliser in one game knocked the stuffing out of them)

But that's in the past anyway. It's 30-odd senior games under the belt which is great. We know he's only in the senior squad - let alone the team - because of how few options we have. Let's see how the next twelve months go. For both of them. And indeed Travers/O'Hara/Randolph

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I was happy with the progress evident tonight. Onwards and upwards. I’m looking forward to the preseason!

Positives for me were:
    - The keepers
    - More game time for Idah, Parrott, Knight. A lot of improving still to do.
    - Molumby did well. The next club move is crucial and regular football from the get go is critical for him next season.
    - Horgan: Our best player in the Kenny era
    - Played better, looked up for it, and nice to see us experimenting with various formations.
    - I guess the result...only because of the fixation many posters place on friendly results which I never quite understand. 4 points from 2 away games

Negatives:
    - It’s tough seeing McClean still getting game time
    - Hourihane is a useful squad player due to his set plays, but he has been very poor
    - reasonably cohesive around the park except where it counts most yet again
    - Duffys international days are numbered, although didn’t do anything too bad tonight
    - Cullen still not convincing
    - Doherty: although finished stronger, he is a shadow of the Wolves wing back we were so excited about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Not sure about that analysis. They were in a relegation dogfight and you don't start thinking about who you can put in the shop window 10 weeks out from the end. And results picked up too; they were a tiny bit unlucky (a 96th minute equaliser in one game knocked the stuffing out of them)

But that's in the past anyway. It's 30-odd senior games under the belt which is great. We know he's only in the senior squad - let alone the team - because of how few options we have. Let's see how the next twelve months go. For both of them. And indeed Travers/O'Hara/Randolph

Shop window/planning for next season. If there's not a lot between them you might go with the lad who is going to be around to be picked or sold was my point. It also might have been a question of styles. Bazunu is being trained to play in an attacking, possession focused outfit where he operates as a sweeper/keeper. Maybe Lynch was better suited to how Rochdale thought they needed to play?

As you say, in the past and he got what he wanted out of it which was gametime.

Who would you put down as our best 3 keepers if all were available incidentally? Bazunu seems to be ahead of Travers/O'Hara so it does seem like Randolph, Kelleher, Bazunu. Unless Westwood is going to feature at some point but time is running out there.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I could argue the toss on whether a few lads should get an 7 instead of an 8 but Hourihane is stealing points getting a 6 and I'd add 1 to Knight's 7 if Duffy and Egan are getting an 8.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Shop window/planning for next season. If there's not a lot between them you might go with the lad who is going to be around to be picked or sold was my point. It also might have been a question of styles. Bazunu is being trained to play in an attacking, possession focused outfit where he operates as a sweeper/keeper. Maybe Lynch was better suited to how Rochdale thought they needed to play?
    First priority had to be to stay in the division though. You can't plan for next season without knowing what division you're in. Lynch was there all season, so you can't work out after 30 games that his style suits Rochdale better. I think Occam's razor comes in here - if your keeper is conceding two goals a game and making a couple of big errors, you try the other keeper, and if he halves the goals against rate, he stays in.

Who would you put down as our best 3 keepers if all were available incidentally? Bazunu seems to be ahead of Travers/O'Hara so it does seem like Randolph, Kelleher, Bazunu. Unless Westwood is going to feature at some point but time is running out there.
    It's a hard call as none of them are getting game time, so any selection has to be qualified. None is a great option at the moment.

O'Hara is bottom of the pile I think. Travers - I don't think he did as bad as was being made out in Serbia; in Tadic, he was facing someone of a quality none of the other teams have had, and he's definitely one to make a new keeper think twice. But he's also not done a huge amount at club level. Ordinarily he wouldn't even be on our radar b if we're honest

For me, it's Bazunu third choice. I'd still worry that Portugal would tease more errors out of him than Kelleher/Randolph.

Then based on this evening, I think Kelleher is putting it up to Randolph. Kelleher is better playing football than Randolph. Goalkeeper-wise, Randolph has never let us down (bar that hospital pass in Helsinki I think!) but Kelleher impressed me tonight. If he gets a loan deal next season and does well at Championship or higher, then that would put him ahead of Randolph for me.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 08/06/2021 at 10:17 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I thought we were quite good overall. Defo better then what I expected.

I understand why people might not be fans of taking the knee and bringing politics into sport . But are Hungarians just a pack of right wing fascists?.. how dare they boo our players? It was outrageous!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    First priority had to be to stay in the division though. You can't plan for next season without knowing what division you're in. Lynch was there all season, so you can't work out after 30 games that his style suits Rochdale better. I think Occam's razor comes in here - if your keeper is conceding two goals a game and making a couple of big errors, you try the other keeper, and if he halves the goals against rate, he stays in.

It's a hard call as none of them are getting game time, so any selection has to be qualified. None is a great option at the moment.

O'Hara is bottom of the pile I think. Travers - I don't think he did as bad as was being made out in Serbia; in Tadic, he was facing someone of a quality none of the other teams have had, and he's definitely one to make a new keeper think twice. But he's also not done a huge amount at club level. Ordinarily he wouldn't even be on our radar b if we're honest

For me, it's Bazunu third choice. I'd still worry that Portugal would tease more errors out of him than Kelleher/Randolph.

Then based on this evening, I think Kelleher is putting it up to Randolph. Kelleher is better playing football than Randolph. Goalkeeper-wise, Randolph has never let us down (bar that hospital pass in Helsinki I think!) but Kelleher impressed me tonight. If he gets a loan deal next season and does well at Championship or higher, then that would put him ahead of Randolph for me.
    I think Randolph is done with us tbh. I think Kenny is happy enough to move forward with a keeper who is ok with ball at his feet.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    We probably say this a lot but Horgan is a chap who would have been better off on the continent. He has played under a few managers that like an agricultural side at club level.
    This. He could play outside England no problem. Check Cyprus

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast