Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Games Weekend 21st to 24th May

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Would you not class Rovers 11 as strong, I certainly would. Agree our bench was stronger.
    Kelly was injured, he came back against Sligo but didn't play against Harps. You're right though he was good and needs to stay fit and interested for us.

Rovers had their 2 strikers playing and created enough chances to win so it's not just about injuries.
    Not sure we would have played 2 strikers without all the injuries though....Greene was just back and he didn't look sharp to me. If we'd had Watts/McCann/Finn I'd imagine we'd have played 2 central midfielders instead of asking Mandriou to drop in there.

But yeah, not all about injuries and it was as strong an 11 as I thought we'd have. Just think we started looking ragged second half, while Dundalk came into it more. Similar to the cup final in that way.

More important was probably the few lads not performing well i.e. Gannon, Mandriou, Burke and Grace. At one point it seemed like Gary O'Neill, Scales and Pico vs a Dundalk 11 getting a little help from Mandriou.

And then Mannus lets another one by that he should have saved - not our night but fair play to Dundalk. It's always a battle. Far more entertaining than most games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Georgie Kelly’s best game for Pats.

Bohs LOL.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DomesticI...51597662588929

I think this Vito / Dundalk thing now has to be legitimately acknowledged as the best thing to ever happen the League of Ireland.

To think they want rid of the Americans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    6 point gap opened up between eighth and ninth now. Thought Longford were good tonight but missing something up front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Tight enough game at OP tonight,Rovers had2/3 strikes that hit the bar and of course the curse of Abibi for us.
    Thought we controlled the match for the final 30 minutes after a fairly even first 1st half and a ragged opening 15min 2nd half period.
    Micheal Duffy and Pat McEleney excellent throughout the match and great to see Dickie Dano Kelly getting on the scoresheet after all he's been through injury wise.Played a huge part tonight esp being played a bit out of position Could be the result we need to kick-on our season.(we hope and even PRAY it will)
    Gannon was a huge threat in the 1st half but that got copped on 2nd and he fizzled out when it was.
    Thought Boyle was good for us also.

Enjoyable fare.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    We knew the unbeaten run could only go on for so long, but at least it wasn't Bohs.

Agree with some others that our team looked unbalanced. If you're going to play both Gaffney and Greene with Burke, then I don't think you can have Mandroiu in a midfield two. The way we seemed to permanently look like being picked off on the break with one pass kind of showed that. We definitely had the chances to get something from the game, but at the same time our goal was a hilarious gift.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Even with all our injuries and Deegan suspended I thought for possibly the first time we looked like we have finally settled at the premier level - players looked comfortable from the start - the slight bit of nervousness and at times showing too much respect to teams seems to be gone. Now if we can get our squad fit over the break and hopefully see a return of Dinny with his goal scoring boots - post break could be an interesting time as the threat of relegation will be slim so the team have nothing to lose by going at teams. Fun time to be a Drog in the premier (for a change lol)
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    6 point gap opened up between eighth and ninth now. Thought Longford were good tonight but missing something up front.
    Very likable side, they impressed me both times we played them and I hope they stay up.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    The First Division looks atrocious to me. UCD, and Cabinteely tonight actually, passed the ball nicely and with a bit of structure and intent, but the rest of us, Treaty included, just hoof it up the pitch and run after it, in the game I've seen at least.
    From Shels first 9 games I can safely say Treaty were the only half-decent opposition we've played. The first division is definitely worse than when we won it in 2019, huge lack of creativity/width in most of the teams and alot of hopeless defending from set pieces UCD being a great example last night for all 3 goals
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    That was my fear as soon as the squad was finalised. Couldn't see where the goals would come from on any kind of regular basis.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    a lot of hopeless defending from set pieces UCD being a great example last night for all 3 goals
    And our own goal as well of course.

I'd add Athlone to the list of vaguely competent teams based on their performance against us on the opening day, but they've had a fairly bad run of form since and seem to be another mid-table side. Treaty (first 45 minutes) and Shels (which seems to have been their best performance for two years) the only other stand-outs for me.

How Galway and Cork are bottom half is beyond me though. And Galway with the benefit of a walkover win which was far from a gimme in reality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Whatever happens on Mon even if we lose ; won’t be a sign of complacency - yes we made errors this evening and have done so in many other games - but the players always work their socks off plus we in fairness had no luck in front of goal tonight and nothing on our bench - so think we’ll be fine and losing tonight might turn out to be a great motivation - still think we’ll win the league
    Rovers will absolutely be fine, there is no doubt about that. Maybe complacency isnt exactly the right word but the longer an unbeaten run continues the greater the expectation that it will come to an end, usually just as a result is simply expected. As you say a loss or 2 is the motivation to reset and kick on 2nd half of the season. The timing of a defeat can be handy if its coming in to the run in and players knuckle down. Graft is one part of it but making sure the right things, the basics done well, like putting the ball in the net. How different things would look for Dundalk with 'luck' in front of goal, from Tallaght 1st round to Harps last week. Graft I dont think was an issue more than lacking in confidence made everything slow and laboured and then missing sitters too, shots off the woodwork ala Burke is unlucky with the fine margins but Greene's missed header was almost criminal waste - in Europe that could be €100k's worth of a miss.

Apart from the overall better cohesion in Dundalk's play it was good to see some proactive if slow changes made to limit Rovers easy raiding down the right wing. Gannon is a loss playing a flat back four when you consider that danger 1st half. Kelly being pushed on to use his pace so central defenders were reluctant to push on and throttle never mind squeeze the short ball out from the back. There was a mixing up of that too and no harm where the keeper went long sometimes and not strictly rolled out every time and I think it helped take the squeeze off for when it was played short. Dundalk did press better as a front 3 unit and it disrupted things enough. We did ride our luck obviously with Rovers close misses but weve had plenty of our own so some balancing out there. Important now to kick on, poor timing of the break possibly for us if we string back to back wins together, though will help with getting injuries sorted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DomesticI...51597662588929

I think this Vito / Dundalk thing now has to be legitimately acknowledged as the best thing to ever happen the League of Ireland.

To think they want rid of the Americans.
    I find it hard to separate finding something like this a bit cringe and the whole publicity is good bit, if people are talking is a win. Different generations stuff!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I find it hard to separate finding something like this a bit cringe and the whole publicity is good bit, if people are talking is a win. Different generations stuff!?
    Is this from Paddy Casey's company,Irishfy? Casey is one of the guys the supporters club met with on Wednesday.Any Dundalk supporter know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    No chance unfortunately. This is a shadow of a Kenny team. They don't have the drive or hunger.... Or anything resembling a keeper

I would easily go with Cheerie for the last 2 games in this round, and have the back up from the youth keeper, Abibi is not only the worst ever player I have seen at Dundalk, possibly the worst GK that ever played PD in LOI, an absolute liability and I`d pay him off, off you go son.

We need a GK in as priority no1 in the July window.

Always nice to beat Rovers, but more important than ending any record run (not taking away our 2nd, 3rd if you count Pres Cup win over them in the last 5 months), it was the performance by some of the more experienced players that was pleasing.

Then again there is no doubt we rode out luck, Rovers could easily have scored a few more, amazing how the post / bar saved us, but I suppose Duffy should have scored first half from that great ball in from McEleney and same for Midtskogen near the end, both decent saves to be fair by Manus.
    Last edited by oriel; 22/05/2021 at 4:00 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Is this from Paddy Casey's company,Irishfy? Casey is one of the guys the supporters club met with on Wednesday.Any Dundalk supporter know?
    I think their logo was on the first video. I'd watch it again but it makes me ill. It would make sense though. Plenty of companies offering celebrity cameos but to get him decked out in gear and get the pronunciations right seems like a more involved process.

Thought about getting a Phil Leotardo response video going but it would have to be a hologram...

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I think their logo was on the first video. I'd watch it again but it makes me ill. It would make sense though. Plenty of companies offering celebrity cameos but to get him decked out in gear and get the pronunciations right seems like a more involved process.

Thought about getting a Phil Leotardo response video going but it would have to be a hologram...
    Ye see this is exactly why i'm torn on these gimmicks - its evoking a response from a lot of people whether pukeworthy, funny, or in my own case wondering if a colleague had spiked my OJ! Do these gimmicks work and what is the publicity worth....Bohs fans?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Ye see this is exactly why i'm torn on these gimmicks - its evoking a response from a lot of people whether pukeworthy, funny, or in my own case wondering if a colleague had spiked my OJ! Do these gimmicks work and what is the publicity worth....Bohs fans?
    Ah it's not Bohs level cringe. He didn't try to sell his new album at the end or anything. It's unofficial (at least I would assume so) and to be fair, he actually does it well. I've seen a few where it's more than a bit depressing, with some aging D-list celebrity stammering through a few mispronounced lines for a few extra euro to buy the prescription meds they clearly hit too hard. Vito at least seems alert and into it.

I think I'd be OK if a Rovers supporter arranged one but....I'm very much OK with them not as well.

It gave my non-LoI mates something to send me this morning so it's at least provided a few with some wind-up material.

On the football, I woke up today not feeling as bad about the game as I thought I would. Just hope you Dundalk fans can protest at all your games moving forward and get the team fired up enough to start taking points from the rest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Rovers will absolutely be fine, there is no doubt about that. Maybe complacency isnt exactly the right word but the longer an unbeaten run continues the greater the expectation that it will come to an end, usually just as a result is simply expected. As you say a loss or 2 is the motivation to reset and kick on 2nd half of the season. The timing of a defeat can be handy if its coming in to the run in and players knuckle down. Graft is one part of it but making sure the right things, the basics done well, like putting the ball in the net. How different things would look for Dundalk with 'luck' in front of goal, from Tallaght 1st round to Harps last week. Graft I dont think was an issue more than lacking in confidence made everything slow and laboured and then missing sitters too, shots off the woodwork ala Burke is unlucky with the fine margins but Greene's missed header was almost criminal waste - in Europe that could be €100k's worth of a miss.

Apart from the overall better cohesion in Dundalk's play it was good to see some proactive if slow changes made to limit Rovers easy raiding down the right wing. Gannon is a loss playing a flat back four when you consider that danger 1st half. Kelly being pushed on to use his pace so central defenders were reluctant to push on and throttle never mind squeeze the short ball out from the back. There was a mixing up of that too and no harm where the keeper went long sometimes and not strictly rolled out every time and I think it helped take the squeeze off for when it was played short. Dundalk did press better as a front 3 unit and it disrupted things enough. We did ride our luck obviously with Rovers close misses but weve had plenty of our own so some balancing out there. Important now to kick on, poor timing of the break possibly for us if we string back to back wins together, though will help with getting injuries sorted.
    The words Cow's backside, hit, and banjo spring to mind when thinking of Aaron Greene. To be fair, he has scored some crackers in his time, e.g. against Limassol, but I really find that his one-on-one finishing around the box leaves a lot to be desired. Though I stand to be corrected by Hoops fans on that matter. Nesta is correct though; That was a shocking miss, and could indeed be the type of thing that costs Rovers thousands in Euro qualifying. Onto the game, I thought it was very enjoyable. Abibi is like the Ali Dia of goalkeepers, and may be added to the infamous LOI Hall of Fame of terrible footballers over time. Benny Hilll yakety-sax all the way for the opening goal. That kind of thing could cost Dundalk just as easily in Europe though. In fact it looked a lot like some of the goals conceded against Celje. God help them if he is still No.1 when they go to Europe. After conceding that opening goal however, Dundalk didn't let it deter them and pressed forward quite well. Nice goal from McEleney. He remained cool and calm, didn't pass it into the keeper's arms etc, and scored very tidily. Duffy played very well I thought. They definitely rode their luck, especially periods in the 2nd half before Kelly scored. Very nice goal but Mannus uncharacteristically didn't cover himself in glory. Really thought Dundalk would feebily lose 3-0, and that's a huge 3 points for them that they might be able to build on. Rover's were pretty subdued for the most part, though they were also unlucky in the main. On another night one or two of the chances they missed go in.Bradley said recently that they weren't bothered about when the unbeaten streak would end, and I don't think this defeat will sway them off-course too much either. Anything can happen with 2/3 of the season still to play, especially with Pats and Sligo on their heels, but they should have enough quality to stay top IMO.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    With apologies to Dundalk fans, but this week's goalkeeping ****-show is at 1:40 here -

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast