Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Andorra V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd June 2021 - Friendly

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    I liked the built between McClean and Hourihane on the left for Parrott's header. That kind of ball is hard to defend because that long pass is so accurate and goles so high in the aire with no weight and then falls slowly and it curves to the 2nd post to Parrott's head... that it was a pleasure from Hourihane's left peg.
    yeah.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Another thing. Parrott's supremacy depends on a 9 like Collins or our Cillian Sheridan or any other who could battle the centerbacks. It could be any other guy who could pressure there. I dont ser Idah as a pressure #9. He is a #9 with finesse. It's Parrott or Idah

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Another thing. Parrott's supremacy depends on a 9 like Collins or our Cillian Sheridan or any other who could battle the centerbacks. It could be any other guy who could pressure there. I dont ser Idah as a pressure #9. He is a #9 with finesse. It's Parrott or Idah
    Sweet Jesus

4. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Sweet Jesus
    They are very much kind of the same player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    They are very much kind of the same player.
    I'll bite... what part of either of Parrotts 2 goals yesterday had anything to do with Collins??

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I'll bite... what part of either of Parrotts 2 goals yesterday had anything to do with Collins??

it's simple if we are gonna play Parrott in the hole to get free pass ro roam left center right, you need a lungerback 9, to do the dirty unpleasent things 9 usually do, like Guivarch did and the big french Giroud or Cissé did, you eigher play a 9 who could hold it and be a presence for the other defenders or a quick direct 9 who could draw diagonal runs to open defences, Connolly could do that job. Obafemi, Shane long or Aiden O'Brien is another guy who could be useful there from the fellow we have with a flair player.

Parrott scored two brillant goals because there was a 9 on the pitch. so he could keep them in alert, if you play either Idah or Parrott they need another striker to partner, could be a flashy guy like Connolly or Robinson or a classic post player. On Collins that diving header, well Stapleton would had scored that one with ease. But the guy is a presence up front, could be Scott Hogan, anyone with that team work.
    Idah and Parrott are similiar in my eyes, they like it shiny, Idah plays with finesse he is not the typical 9. Parrott can pick the ball from deep as he did that splendid solo goal, but I repeat he needed that guy upfront.

On the second goal, that spectacular long pass from Hourihane we had two guys in the box. Collins got them busy on the first post, and Parrott attacked the 2nd post, where that beautiful pass dropped.

Collins played a big part in both goals, it was just his positioning awareness.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    That was a 3/10 performance. The first half must rate as the worst in our international history. The 4-goal second half was barely enough to compensate. Kenny's post-match comment about non-preparation for opposition set-pieces was pristine cringe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    it's simple if we are gonna play Parrott in the hole to get free pass ro roam left center right, you need a lungerback 9, to do the dirty unpleasent things 9 usually do, like Guivarch did and the big french Giroud or Cissé did, you eigher play a 9 who could hold it and be a presence for the other defenders or a quick direct 9 who could draw diagonal runs to open defences, Connolly could do that job. Obafemi, Shane long or Aiden O'Brien is another guy who could be useful there from the fellow we have with a flair player.

Parrott scored two brillant goals because there was a 9 on the pitch. so he could keep them in alert, if you play either Idah or Parrott they need another striker to partner, could be a flashy guy like Connolly or Robinson or a classic post player. On Collins that diving header, well Stapleton would had scored that one with ease. But the guy is a presence up front, could be Scott Hogan, anyone with that team work.
    Idah and Parrott are similiar in my eyes, they like it shiny, Idah plays with finesse he is not the typical 9. Parrott can pick the ball from deep as he did that splendid solo goal, but I repeat he needed that guy upfront.

On the second goal, that spectacular long pass from Hourihane we had two guys in the box. Collins got them busy on the first post, and Parrott attacked the 2nd post, where that beautiful pass dropped.

Collins played a big part in both goals, it was just his positioning awareness.
    Well that was a load of sh1te, glad I asked

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Not sure if it was the tired legs of the Andorran defenders but Idah looked much better than Collins when he came in. Defenders aside, he showed more variety of movement, got involved in the build and seemed just looked sharper.

I have said it before but I think he has a huge future for us. He looks to have all of the materials for a 9 in a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3. Again, this isn't an easy position for a young player and that is exemplified by a lot in football (Mason Greenwood is a good example of a prodigy that hasn't settled there yet even though those in the know reckon that's where United see him long term).

This season will be interesting. Does he stay or go on loan? I'd fancy a loan myself for him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    We're scored four times under Kenny prior to last night and the complaint is we didn't focus on defending set pieces in the build-up to a friendly game against Andorra. Sweet Jebus. And if we are practicing attacking set plays, surely defending them is an aspect of that exercise if not the focus. :-)
    Well you say that, but given that Andorra lead the game well into the second half because of one it kind of suggests that a serious error was made not to prepare for them. It shouldn't be an either/or thing anyway, they should have been working on both attacking and defending set-pieces, and to me we looked useless at both. If Parrott hadn't decided to have a coming of age moment just afterwards it might well have been the mistake that ended the Kenny era.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Trying to figure out what might happen with regards to selection for Hungary and I'm getting for perplexed at some decisions by Kenny v Andorra.

It felt to me like the team for Andorra was the strongest Kenny felt that he had and picked it to ensure the win. I'm not sure if he is going to rotate a whole pile for Hungary given that the opposition is better. I would see Kelleher and Idah being started in place of Bazunu and Collins. I can see Curtis being dropped- potentially for Horgan.

Kenny surely had intended on giving caps to a few more lads. Mandroiu and Ogbene in particular. Whilst I'd like to see Omobamidele get a cap, I don't feel like we need to get a look at him. We aren't in dire need of a centre half, he is very young and given that he already has exposure to a good standard of football then there isn't a whole pile to learn.

McGrath didn't get as much time on the field as I'd have like against Andorra, so it feels like Kenny got the balance wrong in desperation. I don't know what he learned about Horgan or Duffy in bringing them in. And he clearly got a bit comfortable after our third goal on the 84th minute because he brought Manning, Duffy and Arter on after that. What did he learn about any of those lads from a less than ten minute run out?

It feels a bit all over the place and very reactionary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The front three didn't see much of the ball in the first half, and the midfield three weren't making much progress into the final third.
    Against Wales, they retained/regained possession in midfield because they outnumbered us five to three.
    Parrott scored the equaliser by coming a little deeper, which evened things up in midfield, and then breaking forward.
    Should Kenny end the 12 game experiment with three in midfield? It's clearly not working.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 05/06/2021 at 10:10 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I must also confirm that I hadn't read Dan McDonnell's article today before posting that. He is making similar points regarding selection.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The front three didn't see much of the ball in the first half, and the midfield three weren't making much progress into the final third.
    Against Wales, they retained/regained possession in midfield because they outnumbered us five to three.
    Parrott scored the equaliser by coming a little deeper, which evened things up in midfield, and then breaking forward.
    Should Kenny end the 12 game experiment with three in midfield? It's clear not working.
    We don’t have the quality of midfielders to manage with just three.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It felt to me like the team for Andorra was the strongest Kenny felt that he had and picked it to ensure the win. I'm not sure if he is going to rotate a whole pile for Hungary given that the opposition is better. I would see Kelleher and Idah being started in place of Bazunu and Collins. I can see Curtis being dropped- potentially for Horgan.

Kenny surely had intended on giving caps to a few more lads. Mandroiu and Ogbene in particular. Whilst I'd like to see Omobamidele get a cap, I don't feel like we need to get a look at him. We aren't in dire need of a centre half, he is very young and given that he already has exposure to a good standard of football then there isn't a whole pile to learn.

McGrath didn't get as much time on the field as I'd have like against Andorra, so it feels like Kenny got the balance wrong in desperation. I don't know what he learned about Horgan or Duffy in bringing them in. And he clearly got a bit comfortable after our third goal on the 84th minute because he brought Manning, Duffy and Arter on after that. What did he learn about any of those lads from a less than ten minute run out?
    Yeah, I did get the feeling that a win was the main aim of the Andorra game. Understandable in a way - it's the bed we've made ourselves. And I'd imagine the hope was to have the game sewn up by half-time and change things then - but that of course went badly wrong.

Not sure I'd agree on Mandriou or Ogbene. I don't think there's necessarily a need to see players in games - the manager will have seen them for the past few days in training as well of course. You could maybe have brought them on in the last five minutes instead of Arter/Duffy/Manning, but would you have learned anything more about them then?

For Hungary, I think it might be best to look at this as a dry run for Portugal. We're still in transition enough (for whatever reason) that the regular players need time in the new system. And there's a real danger we could get pummeled by Portugal if they take learnings from Andorra's success at the high press - we're probably going to lose in Lisbon, but 5-0 or something really isn't what we want right now.

I think Kelleher has to start; Bazunu's decision-making means he's a liability at the moment to be brutally honest. Randolph for me is still number 1, but if he's injured again in September and if Westwood is effectively retired, you can't throw Kelleher in for his debut in Lisbon. Coleman to come in for McClean I presume. Hourihane - if he's going to keep on taking the sting out of forward movements, why should he play? Up front, our problems are legion. Collins and Curtis had bad misses against Andorra, but do we have the players in the squad to replace both? And is Idah really any better? Parrott was one of our few bright sparks against Andorra, but is he up to the standard of Hungary?

So (ignoring formation changes, though 4-3-3 does seem a bit attacking if the game is a dry run for Portugal away) that's -

Kelleher

Doherty
    Egan
    O'Shea
    Coleman

Cullen
    Knight
    Molumby

Parrott
    Idah
    Horgan

You'd hope to bring Robinson and Randolph back in for Portugal. Maybe McCarthy into the mid and Stevens too somewhere. Would the other experienced players - Clark, Christie, Hendrick, Brady, O'Dowda, Long - add anything though? Not sure at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Locked and archived
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122