Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Andorra V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd June 2021 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I'm in the "he's a good manager, but out of his depth at senior international level, and (at best) the remainder of his reign will be to cap some promising youth players for the next manager" camp
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Much the same, with the rider that I hope he'll grow into the role or strike it lucky. Waiting for the first win is a monkey on the back - who knows what could click after it comes. Optimist by nature!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Much the same, with the rider that I hope he'll grow into the role or strike it lucky. Waiting for the first win is a monkey on the back - who knows what could click after it comes. Optimist by nature!
    This is then me. But I am more hopeful than I am confident regarding your rider.

I think the 20/21 season has been a very difficult one for him. COVID, COVID complications and, most critically, player stagnation or slower progression have played a big part. I may have been a little too optimistic about the emergence of our younger lads and none have really kicked on at club level like I had hoped, with the exception of O'Shea and Knight and the slightly older Cullen. In another year, we may have struck oil with a few more of the talents we have. Connolly, Molumby, Parrott and Idah didn't meet my own personal expectations/hopes. A Manning, Curtis, Browne or Lenihan didn't emerge as a serious option for us to rely on and drive their club career up the league ladder in tandem. Jack Byrne, O'Dowda or Seani Maguire didn't do anything to make them squad members. We have had plenty debate on here about Kelleher, Bazunu and Travers but, as goalkeepers, all are a bit young.

Overall, Kenny has a bit to do but the emergence of a few exciting players has really not happened for him like it has tended to happen intermittently over the past few years- O'Shea, Knight and Cullen aside, though you could debate whether they have emerged to the extent that we need and maybe the answer is no.

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    I'm a fan of Stephen Kenny even though he in my opinion has made 2 big mistakes so far (Selection of back room team and playing inexperienced players)

BUT he needs to start winning some f**king games! Therefore team selection should reflect this.
    Agree with that, the biggest selection mistake he has made was dropping Coleman at the start, the one player we have playing consistently well in the top half of the premier league, and he was benched. I guess Kenny has gotten plenty of grief but there should still be some left over to throw at him for that call. I see Ancelotti has Coleman playing right side of midfield, i thought he was excellent there against West Ham...of course we try and shoehorn him in as a third centre back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Did he play poorly as a third centre back? Did Ancelotti "shoehorn" him in as a right sided midfielder? Kenny chose the Spurs right-back over the Everton right-back. Plenty to criticise him for, but you're the shoehorner here ...
    May I hoke a reek?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Perhaps Coleman was nursing himself a bit at that time. He wasn't his old self for Everton there for awhile after the leg-break. Perhaps Coleman and Kenny were in agreement about Coleman not playing. In any case Doherty did not take his chance and it will be interesting to see how Doherty fares at Spurs under a new manager. Doherty being a Mourinho signing ( do they have the same agent or is it that Mourinho's agent has a lot of connections to Wolves players and manager )

Doherty could easily fall out of favour at Spurs under a new manager.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    Agree with that, the biggest selection mistake he has made was dropping Coleman at the start, the one player we have playing consistently well in the top half of the premier league, and he was benched. I guess Kenny has gotten plenty of grief but there should still be some left over to throw at him for that call. I see Ancelotti has Coleman playing right side of midfield, i thought he was excellent there against West Ham...of course we try and shoehorn him in as a third centre back.
    To be fair there has been plenty of people calling for Doherty to start ahead of Coleman in recent times. It was a mistake though. Colemans leadership alone should make him 1st name on team sheet.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    To be fair there has been plenty of people calling for Doherty to start ahead of Coleman in recent times. It was a mistake though. Colemans leadership alone should make him 1st name on team sheet.
    It was put to the test and Doherty did not seize the opportunity. Interesting to see what plays out with Doherty for Club and Country.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    It was put to the test and Doherty did not seize the opportunity. Interesting to see what plays out with Doherty for Club and Country.
    He looked a shadow of the player he was at Wolves last season. He even looked slow

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    He looked a shadow of the player he was at Wolves last season. He even looked slow
    He should have stayed at Wolves from a footballing point of view but I suppose he made a decent whack with the Spurs deal. Obviously the way Wolves played suited him but did Wolves want to keep him ?

Who knows exactly what went on bar Doherty himself and maybe a few more. We may never find out all the goings on. It will be interesting to see what goes on with Doherty from here.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Spurs were in for Nagelsmann to replace Mourinho, by all accounts, but Bayern nabbed him. Nagelsmann, like Tuchel, likes the wing backs. We could have seen a serious turn around in fortunes for Doherty in that case.

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    Did he play poorly as a third centre back? Did Ancelotti "shoehorn" him in as a right sided midfielder? Kenny chose the Spurs right-back over the Everton right-back. Plenty to criticise him for, but you're the shoehorner here ...
    How did you think it worked out playing him as a third centre back against Luxemburg? A success?

Colemans strength has always been his attacking play, which Ancelotti seems to have worked out. Not sure we need to turn Coleman into a centre back with the players we have coming through in that position.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He should have stayed at Wolves from a footballing point of view but I suppose he made a decent whack with the Spurs deal. Obviously the way Wolves played suited him but did Wolves want to keep him ?

Who knows exactly what went on bar Doherty himself and maybe a few more. We may never find out all the goings on. It will be interesting to see what goes on with Doherty from here.
    It will. He doesn't turn into a bad player overnight. Who'd be inspired by the managers he was lumbered with last season? One is gone, the other in the departure lounge.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I dont want to start world war 3, but if Andorra beat us 2-0. If there anyone here currently in the "kenny camp" that will defect?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    We will beat Andorra in a turgid game 2/3 -0 but the game I am more interested in is Hungary and what our current standing really is. Its a good test against a similar standard team.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I dont want to start world war 3, but if Andorra beat us 2-0. If there anyone here currently in the "kenny camp" that will defect?
    I'd be a staunch a supporter of Kenny and believe he should get 2 full campaigns before he's judged. But I do think a defeat to Andorra leaves his position as untenable. Not sure how I'd feel if it's a draw, it certainly wouldn't make it any easier to continue to support him.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ltfc_2004 View Post
    We will beat Andorra in a turgid game 2/3 -0 but the game I am more interested in is Hungary and what our current standing really is. Its a good test against a similar standard team.
    Hungary are a much better team than us. They're at the standard people seem to think we're still at. If we get a score draw there, it'll be a big step forward.

And to be clear, I already switched to the Kenny out camp after Luxembourg broke my patience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I'd be a staunch a supporter of Kenny and believe he should get 2 full campaigns before he's judged. But I do think a defeat to Andorra leaves his position as untenable. Not sure how I'd feel if it's a draw, it certainly wouldn't make it any easier to continue to support him.
    I'm still supporting Kenny but anything less than a win against Andorra has to signal the end for him. Shows what a good job McCarthy was doing. I'd have liked to see how we got on if he'd stayed for rest of the Euro campaign
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    since 1985 (when i first really followed the team) I have gone into every single game thinking there was at least some chance we'd win the game under the managers we had, except maybe stan.
    i know the playing pool is currently at a low point but when I am not remotely surprised when we lose to luxembourg then its game over for me. i can see us only winning maybe a single game in this group and no wins wouldn't surprise me.
    We just don't play to our strengths and sometimes (maybe all the time) the manager needs to let go of his principles and be pragmatic. That's what's generally served us so well before.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Hungary are a much better team than us. They're at the standard people seem to think we're still at. If we get a score draw there, it'll be a big step forward.

And to be clear, I already switched to the Kenny out camp after Luxembourg broke my patience.
    To be clear here, what is our standard, and what was our standard on say March of 2019.

There seems to be very changeable standard depending on who is talking, and in what context. There is very little consistency, especially from the so called " we dont deserve to be at a Championships playing like that ", " I dont want to see us at a Championship, while playing that type of football" etc.

The players haven't changed that much from when we finished 3rd in the Euro campaign. But the results certainly have.

Ancelotti came out with a good one last weekend, possession is not a correlation for winning(or something to that effect before i am asked to find the quote, i cant remember word for word), its for another sport. Those can no longer hide behind that one.

On the Kenny debate, he can thrive when he has the players to play his one way of playing, when he doesn't have that or the buy in, he's well out of his depth. I can't see him turning it around at all, but he's done so much damage now, I am not sure what can be done in the short term anyway. A stop gap manager is not what we need or want now. We need someone who can take a team very low in confidence, and start getting results, also with the future in mind. But just because I or others cant think of anyone available or suitable at the moment, that isnt a caveat to stick with the failing regime for further detriment to our team.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 14/05/2021 at 3:13 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast