Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Andorra V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd June 2021 - Friendly

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Mandroiu obviously wouldn't be in the squad if everyone was fit but he has a lot of potential so he's worth Kenny having a look at. I don't really get the begrudgery.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well for the most part it's a professional league with some part-time clubs and some clubs that are a bit of both.
    The thing is, the last time we had this discussion, I cited a FIFPro survey of LoI players which showed that more than half had income from a second job (https://www.the42.ie/league-of-irela...09735-Nov2016/), while you backed your view up by saying you watched the games.

I'm all for having my mind changed by relevant facts, but you didn't have any and still don't.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Mandroiu obviously wouldn't be in the squad if everyone was fit but he has a lot of potential so he's worth Kenny having a look at. I don't really get the begrudgery.
    What begrudgery? I see only apathy.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The thing is, the last time we had this discussion, I cited a FIFPro survey of LoI players which showed that more than half had income from a second job (https://www.the42.ie/league-of-irela...09735-Nov2016/), while you backed your view up by saying you watched the games.

I'm all for having my mind changed by relevant facts, but you didn't have any and still don't.
    Well I mean ask the clubs - you don't have to rely on reports from five years ago if you don't want to. Rovers, Dundalk, Pats, Sligo, Waterford and Derry are all full-time - their players don't have jobs outside football and it's all they do. Bohs and Harps have some players who are completely full time and some who aren't, and Longford and Drogs are a mix as well. Cork and Shels being relegated took two full-time teams out of the league. Like I just don't know why you're so set on this part-time thing when it's clearly not true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    What begrudgery? I see only apathy.
    I mean saying a guy is one of the worst to play for Ireland seems not exactly apathetic to me but I suppose we all have our opinions.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Well I mean ask the clubs - you don't have to rely on reports from five years ago if you don't want to. Rovers, Dundalk, Pats, Sligo, Waterford and Derry are all full-time - their players don't have jobs outside football and it's all they do. Bohs and Harps have some players who are completely full time and some who aren't, and Longford and Drogs are a mix as well. Cork and Shels being relegated took two full-time teams out of the league. Like I just don't know why you're so set on this part-time thing when it's clearly not true.
    Have you a citation on that?

You saying "It's clearly not true" isn't a source I'd trust over the players themselves telling FIFPro that the majority rely on income outside football.

What's changed in the LoI between 2015 and 2021 that you're happy to dismiss FIFPro? If anything, there's less money now than then as there's more underage teams drawing funding away from first teams.

I mean saying a guy is one of the worst to play for Ireland seems not exactly apathetic to me but I suppose we all have our opinions.
    Is it not potentially a factual view?

I don't think anyone's begrudging the guy - best of luck to him - but he's clearly one of the weakest players we've ever called up. Byrne stood out as the best player in the LoI by a distance and was at best a squad player for the national team. Mandriou is a step below that again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Have you a citation on that?

You saying "It's clearly not true" isn't a source I'd trust over the players themselves telling FIFPro that the majority rely on income outside football.

What's changed in the LoI between 2015 and 2021 that you're happy to dismiss FIFPro? If anything, there's less money now than then as there's more underage teams drawing funding away from first teams.

Is it not potentially a factual view?

I don't think anyone's begrudging the guy - best of luck to him - but he's clearly one of the weakest players we've ever called up. Byrne stood out as the best player in the LoI by a distance and was at best a squad player for the national team. Mandriou is a step below that again.
    Interestingly you seem to have a different spin when discussing Colm Whelan getting called up to the 21s. A bit more hope in your tone there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Not sure what different spin you mean? I was very clear in noting (twice) that I was watching him play in the LoI First Division, and that the 21s was a big step up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    And it's a big step up for Mandroiu but riding in behind someone saying he might be factually the worst player to play a game for Ireland before he's kicked a ball is a different take then "here's his stats, he's good, let's see if he can step up" which I hope is a fair summary of your take on Whelans call up?

He's in a training camp as backup to Jamie McGrath most likely, not being made captain for a qualifier. Jamie McGrath who incidentally may not be at the level required either long term. But we are taking a look at a few lads who have something different. It's what these camps are for.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 26/05/2021 at 2:32 PM. Reason: need to learn how to spell the lad's name...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Still not sure I'm following your argument tbh.

LoI players have played at 21s level before. Quite regularly in fact; there's a few of them in the current squad. The gap between 21s and seniors is huge. Underage teams regularly have players who are effectively padding because you know 80% (or whatever high figure it is) of them won't make a career out of the game, partly because the pool of available players is so much smaller.

Also by "he's good", you mean to say "he's good at LoI First Division level", which is what I posted. I think it's an important distinction.

I don't think it's unreasonable to describe Mandriou as one of the weakest players ever to be named in a national squad. It mightn't be a nice thing to say, but it's probably factual. I can't think of too many I'd have below him. It's more a reflection on the national squad rather than Mandriou himself, as I'm sure he'd acknowledge.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 26/05/2021 at 2:47 PM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    I can't think of too many I'd have below him. It's more a reflection on the national squad rather than Mandriou himself, as I'm sure he'd acknowledge.
    I'm sure he's somewhere nodding in agreement at this right now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Joe Lapira.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Joe Lapira.
    Yup; will happily grant you that one.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    And I'll grant you I was surprised to see Mandroiu's name in there but at the end of the day, for me, it's a training camp and he is a player who might be able to step up so calling him the worst player to get in a squad is a bit premature. Kenny wants to bring players through for the future so who else is there around this age? I also agree with you that 21s football is very different to senior football and Whelan's call up is a different story.

Overall I can't think of many who are available who play in the 10 and I think Danny might actually be able to step up. It might suit him to be playing with better players around him. He was at his best for Rovers this season when he could just focus on linking up play in the final third and getting into dangerous positions. He's faded now that he is being asked to play central midfield and drop a bit deeper. It often looks like he could do a bit more with some more intelligent runners around him. Sure we will see.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Joe Lapira.
    Joe O’Cearuill

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Joe O’Cearuill
    Staines Town legend.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Joe Lapira.
    Joe O’Cearuill
    Joe Gamble?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Joe Gamble?
    All worth a punt at the time...

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    All worth a punt at the time...
    As for Joe Murphy...

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Worst player Ive seen with multiple caps in my time watching Ireland is probably Conor Sammon

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast