Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 435

Thread: Andorra v Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd June 2021 - Friendly

  1. #81
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    134
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    14
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I don't know why the Irish manager would base squad selection on putting players in the shop window? Doesn't make sense and i doubt it's the case.

    Can't figure out Harry Arter though, a nothing player for us really, and as pointed out hasn't kicked a ball in months. I'm presuming Jack Taylor is injured. If Kenny wants to pin his hopes on an injury prone player in this 30's who can't get in an average Championship squad, good luck to him.

  2. #82
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,955
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,226
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    469
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    I don't know why the Irish manager would base squad selection on putting players in the shop window? Doesn't make sense and i doubt it's the case.

    Can't figure out Harry Arter though, a nothing player for us really, and as pointed out hasn't kicked a ball in months. I'm presuming Jack Taylor is injured. If Kenny wants to pin his hopes on an injury prone player in this 30's who can't get in an average Championship squad, good luck to him.
    Might encourage other hopefuls to play for us if the auld carrier is given the odd boost when needed. You’d be surprised sometimes that some ( ok may lower level clubs ) like to announce they have signed an international / under 21 international just for the optics like.

  3. #83
    Coach John83's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,803
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,459
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    763
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I presume also that the exclusion of Travers and O'Hara means Bazunu is established third choice, and Westwood won't play for us again.
    Probably quite tenuously. Any of them who starts playing every week will instantly be in contention.

    I think I say this every time now, but that must be about the weakest squad we've ever named...
    Sad to say... still, this is friendlies and development. Hopefully, something good will come out of it, like a win, and someone unexpected really making a case for starting.
    Vaccinated.

  4. #84
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    835
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    411
    Thanked in
    240 Posts
    I'd suspect McCarthy misses out due to being out of contract and a desire not to get an injury before signing a deal with a club, maybe the same for Westwood.

    Assuming the likes of Jack Byrne and Nathan Collins are still injured?

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #85
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2008
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,453
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    156
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    348
    Thanked in
    256 Posts
    Collins is still injured. We won’t see him until preseason by the sounds of it.

    Agree with the general sentiments.

    Ogbene, Mandroiu and Arter are strange calls. Disappointing not to see Taylor there. I would have even preferred to see Connell in there. I like the O’Connor call, he’s done well with Tranmere and overcame some challenges there. This could set him up nicely for a shot off Celtic in preseason. Agree, McNamara oozes class and has played at a higher level so objectively he should be in there. But Kenny obviously believes in O’Connor. Love the Omobamidele call and the chance for McGrath to take his career to new heights

  7. Thanks From:


  8. #86
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    3,493
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    631
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    604
    Thanked in
    388 Posts
    Not that I miss him but is Hendrick injured?

    Its a horrible squad, Arter being there is baffling.... but the worst part is that I cant think of anyone who I would rather have had instead of him.

  9. #87
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    19,524
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    974
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,026
    Thanked in
    2,607 Posts
    No, Hendrick came off the bench for Newcastle yesterday

  10. #88
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    3,493
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    631
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    604
    Thanked in
    388 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    No, Hendrick came off the bench for Newcastle yesterday
    Was Kenny asked about him in presser? Bit surprising that not more being made about him being left out

  11. #89
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aaron McEneff?

  12. #90
    First Team The Fly's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,308
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    343
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,046
    Thanked in
    560 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    This has 0-0 written all over it
    Nah, we'll smash them 1-0.

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #91
    Reserves
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    717
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    54
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    131
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    touch of the getting the excuses in early from SK with the 'lets have a bit of fun / how would you define a must win' comments.

    i guess he has to answer the questions asked in some fashion.

  15. #92
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,727
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    62
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    727
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    "Interesting" - Michael Obafemi

  16. #93
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    19,524
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    974
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,026
    Thanked in
    2,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    touch of the getting the excuses in early from SK with the 'lets have a bit of fun / how would you define a must win' comments.

    i guess he has to answer the questions asked in some fashion.
    Kenny's never been great when speaking to the media, but these are especially bad
    "let's have a bit of fun". No, let's start winning games, then we can have some fun
    "how would you define a must win game" - really? Surely a "must win" game is pretty self explanatory
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  17. #94
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,955
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,226
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    469
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Kenny's never been great when speaking to the media, but these are especially bad
    "let's have a bit of fun". No, let's start winning games, then we can have some fun
    "how would you define a must win game" - really? Surely a "must win" game is pretty self explanatory
    Winning is fun in sport = The best fun.

  18. #95
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,505
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,856
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,274
    Thanked in
    3,345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Surely there's better players at Rovers than Mandroiu?
    It's not really a case of there being better players than Mandroiu, just that he is the guy who plays in the position where Kenny needs someone. Gary O'Neill has been Rovers' outstanding midfielder but we have loads of players like him, whereas with Bryne injured we're particularly short of creative players who score goals, and Mandroiu is one of them.

    You can absolutely argue that there are other players at other clubs who do that better than Mandroiu, but in terms of Rovers players it's between him and Burke and Mandroiu creates more.

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #96
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    835
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    411
    Thanked in
    240 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Was Kenny asked about him in presser? Bit surprising that not more being made about him being left out
    Kenny: “Jeff is not injured on this one. I don't think he's injured. He just has private reasons for not linking up on this one.”
    Last edited by elatedscum; 25/05/2021 at 7:25 AM.

  21. Thanks From:


  22. #97
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    456
    Thanked in
    317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Kenny: “Jeff is not injured on this one. I don't think he's injured. He just has private reasons for not linking up on this one.”
    i.e. can't be arsed.

    Watched some of the press conference. I thought the "how would you define a must win game" comment was one of the worst I have heard. Steve Staunton level stuff.

    Aside from the stupidity of the comment itself, the unwillingness to take responsibility if his team can't even beat Andorra grates with me. And it could happen. We might stick 5 past them, but not winning the game at all is a distinct possibility based on what I've seen from Kenny so far.

    Would it be worth the embarrassment of not beating Andorra if it meant there was no possibility of him getting a contract past this autumn? Possibly. But if we don't win he will clearly still try to spin it as development and will get backing from certain quarters in the fanbase and media that don't want to be proven wrong it seems.

    There's a Jeremy Corbyn feel to the whole thing (for anyone who follows British politics). He's taking us off a cliff but some would rather go over the edge with him that than accept that the whole things a disaster.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 25/05/2021 at 7:52 AM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  23. Thanks From:


  24. #98
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,955
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,226
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    469
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    i.e. can't be arsed.

    Watched some of the press conference. I thought the "how would you define a must win game" comment was one of the worst I have heard. Steve Staunton level stuff.

    Aside from the stupidity of the comment itself, the unwillingness to take responsibility if his team can't even beat Andorra grates with me. And it could happen. We might stick 5 past them, but not winning the game at all is a distinct possibility based on what I've seen from Kenny so far.

    Would it be worth the embarrassment of not beating Andorra if it meant there was no possibility of him getting a contract past this autumn? Possibly. But if we don't win he will clearly still try to spin it as development and will get backing from certain quarters in the fanbase and media that don't want to be proven wrong it seems.

    There's a Jeremy Corbyn feel to the whole thing (for anyone who follows British politics). He's taking us off a cliff but some would rather go over the edge with him that than accept that the whole things a disaster.
    Are we like cabbages on Jeremy Corbyn’s allotment !

  25. #99
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    32,890
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,785
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,590
    Thanked in
    2,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It's not really a case of there being better players than Mandroiu, just that he is the guy who plays in the position where Kenny needs someone. Gary O'Neill has been Rovers' outstanding midfielder but we have loads of players like him, whereas with Bryne injured we're particularly short of creative players who score goals, and Mandroiu is one of them.

    You can absolutely argue that there are other players at other clubs who do that better than Mandroiu, but in terms of Rovers players it's between him and Burke and Mandroiu creates more.
    Fair point, if slightly worrying as well in that we're now so stuck in some areas that we're calling up players who aren't even the top players in a part-time league. Byrne was an obvious call as he stood out at Rovers.

  26. #100
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    134
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    14
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Some comments here from Kenny on Obafemi (as well as Long and Brady):

    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...d-see-24176476

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03/06/2021, 7:00 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02/06/2021, 8:00 PM
  3. Replies: 122
    Last Post: 22/03/2019, 3:32 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03/03/2017, 8:27 AM
  5. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 13/09/2016, 8:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •