Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Ireland have been drawn in Group A against Sweden, Finland, Slovakia, and Georgia*
    Group Fixtures
    Date Home Score Away
    Friday, 17th September 2021 Georgia PSTPD Republic of Ireland
    Thursday, 21st October 2021 Republic of Ireland 0-1 Sweden
    Tuesday, 26th October 2021 Finland 1-2 Republic of Ireland
    Thursday, 25th November 2021 Republic of Ireland 1-1 Slovakia
    Tuesday, 30th November 2021 Republic of Ireland 11-0 Georgia
    Tuesday, 12th April 2022 Sweden 1-1 Republic of Ireland
    Monday, 27th June 2022 Georgia 0-9 Republic of Ireland
    Thursday, 1st September 2022 Republic of Ireland 1-0 Finland
    Tuesday, 6th September 2022 Slovakia 0-1 Republic of Ireland
    Play Off
    Tursday, 11th October 2022 Scotland 0-1 Republic of Ireland

Group Fixtures Confirmed
    https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/2c8301...aland-2023.pdf
    Date Opposition Location Local time Irish Time World Time Buddy
    Thursday, 20th July Australia Sydney 8pm 11am https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1...sln=20-21&hf=1
    Wednesday, 26th July Canada Perth 8pm 1pm https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1...sln=20-21&hf=1
    Monday, 31st July Nigeria Brisbane 8pm 11am https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1...sln=20-21&hf=1

Links
    FIFA Women's World Cup
    2023 FIFA Women's World Cup Qualification(UEFA)
    2023 FIFA Women's World Cup Qualification UEFA Group A
    2023 FIFA Women's World Cup Play Offs
    2023 FIFA Women's World Cup Group Stage
    2023 FIFA Women's World Cup Group B

FAI request postponement of qualifier against Georgia: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/new-...-georgia-v-wnt

*because it's not an international qualification group if Georgia are not involved
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 25/10/2022 at 11:37 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ireland have been drawn in Group A against Sweden, Finland, Slovakia, and Georgia*

Fixtures
    17 September, 2021: Georgia v Republic of Ireland
    21 October, 2021: Republic of Ireland v Sweden
    26 October, 2021: Finland v Republic of Ireland
    25 November, 2021: Republic of Ireland v Slovakia
    30 November, 2021: Republic of Ireland v Georgia
    12 April, 2022: Sweden v Republic of Ireland
    1 September, 2022: Republic of Ireland v Finland
    6 September, 2022: Slovakia v Republic of Ireland

wiki links
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_F...ication_(UEFA)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_F...3_UEFA_Group_A

*because it's not an international qualification group if Georgia are not involved
    If we don't scrape a lucky away win with a late goal in the opener, then Pauw should be fired - and I mean if we win 4-0, she should be fired - we demand nothing but frustrating nailbiters in Tbilisi
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 08/05/2021 at 3:05 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

Just wondering why this isn't in the international thread.. giving a great performance here against Finland, currently two one up, after putting in another good performance against Sweden the other night

Brilliant stuff from the ladies

2023 FIFA Women's World Cup qualification (UEFA)
    2023 FIFA Women's World Cup qualification – UEFA Group A
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 26/10/2021 at 9:49 PM. Reason: Added links for qualification

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Hon the women, great result

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    They played good football.. rode their luck when they had to.. but could have got a few more

There's great things happening at underage in girls soccer.. a world cup appearance could see the game explode

Im proud to see two of the u17 girls last month in Norway come from a club I set up 10 years ago.. small rural league.. and I know there's oodles of untapped talent out there

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    They played good football.. rode their luck when they had to.. but could have got a few more

There's great things happening at underage in girls soccer.. a world cup appearance could see the game explode

Im proud to see two of the u17 girls last month in Norway come from a club I set up 10 years ago.. small rural league.. and I know there's oodles of untapped talent out there
    Sincerely, you must be very proud. Very exciting times. Hopefully they qualify for the WC and I look forward to seeing them play in Australia! Similarities between them and the men's team , I think they hadn't won in 10 or 11 games and now showing some form. Katie McCabe is so tough, I think she is one of ten, that might explain it. I loved the job Louise Quinn did on Sam Kerr against the Aussies who is one of the best strikers in the world. Certainly a sense of optimism around Irish football, long may it continue.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Yeah big time.. and think this WC might be a step early, but even getting to the next Euros would be massive. I think like the mens team in 88, they need that one big tournament to kick on

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I'm not sure if we benefit from too many sub-forums. I can understand dahamsta's logic behind having a separate area for the two, but I think it'd gain more traction here (and more traction = better, I would have thought)

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    There is a thread for the women's team, but, in the 12 years since it was started, it's had less than 100 posts
    https://foot.ie/threads/105190-Irela...-National-Team
    I'll treat this the same as the underage tournament threads - one thread per competition, and then archived when the competition itself is complete

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Yeah big time.. and think this WC might be a step early, but even getting to the next Euros would be massive. I think like the mens team in 88, they need that one big tournament to kick on
    I don't know - two victories in November, combined with two victories for Sweden at home to Finland and Slovakia, and we'll be in pole position for second place going into 2022 - unfortunately I think we're in one of the tightest groups so blowout victories will be hard to come by so, if we do come second, we won't get a bye to the first round. But still, at that point we'll only be two victories from qualification (or an intercontinental play-off) and anything could happen

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There are only 2 WC places for the 9 runners-up to scrap over. Is first spot a bridge too far? I didn't watch Irl V Swe, but was there much between them? The Finns will be no pushover for Sweden.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There are only 2 WC places for the 9 runners-up to scrap over. Is first spot a bridge too far? I didn't watch Irl V Swe, but was there much between them? The Finns will be no pushover for Sweden.
    It was a good performance against Sweden but they're definitely a level above Ireland and Finland, I don't think there's any prospect of either side beating them.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    It was a good performance against Sweden but they're definitely a level above Ireland and Finland, I don't think there's any prospect of either side beating them.
    Finland had a high ranking status not so long ago and was able to compete against Sweden when Sweden were at their best. In recent qualifiers Ireland were humped by Finland who themselves were then at a low ebb. But it speaks volumes about the progress Ireland have made to beat Finland away from home, with Finland now having reached the UEFA finals 2022 and ranked in the top 12 - 16.
    The Scandi/Nordic countries have traditionally done well at Women's football because the gender equality factors in their society called for resources to be administered equally towards both genders in sport, from kindergarten level upwards. In most of their football club academies there are equal nr of male/female participants receiving the same standard of coaching. Ireland are just at the point where outstanding progress has already been made, the potential to compete internationally has already reached a very decent level and that competitive ability is still on the rise.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Finland had a high ranking status not so long ago and was able to compete against Sweden when Sweden were at their best. In recent qualifiers Ireland were humped by Finland who themselves were then at a low ebb. But it speaks volumes about the progress Ireland have made to beat Finland away from home, with Finland now having reached the UEFA finals 2022 and ranked in the top 12 - 16.
    The Scandi/Nordic countries have traditionally done well at Women's football because the gender equality factors in their society called for resources to be administered equally towards both genders in sport, from kindergarten level upwards. In most of their football club academies there are equal nr of male/female participants receiving the same standard of coaching. Ireland are just at the point where outstanding progress has already been made, the potential to compete internationally has already reached a very decent level and that competitive ability is still on the rise.
    Thanks Geysir for acknowledging the progress of this team and long may it continue. The cheap, infantile shots on here on an Irish international football team are what I would expect on ybig, not on this forum.

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    The forum says Ireland it doesn't specifically state any gender at all.

Its great to see a good result get some recognition. Lets see how they do in the next few qualifiers.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    The standard has improved greatly from what I've seen the last few years. There's a real push to drive the visibility of women's sport and to increase participation, I think little things like having more mainstream media coverage and discussion alongside the men's game can only be a good thing. In Denise O'Sullivan and Katie McCabe we have two players in the "world class" sphere, which is more than can be said for the men's game at the moment. Bringing in a few granny rulers hasn't hurt either, so we may well see some discussion in the eligibility threads!

Tallaght Stadium Regular

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Sorry, where does it says mens' Irish international only at the top of the forum? It's in some ways a fledging sport in terms of professionalism and it might encourage new posters, possibly female posters is that a step too far for some!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Sorry my last post on this issue. Skstu, you mentioned a 'trigger' above. This comes out of 16 years of coaching girls' football. I initially baulked at the idea, but the head coach where I coached was a good friend and he knew I was over the crap associated with coaching boys, pushy parents, egos and bad attitudes. I built one team from u13s upwards and loved it. It's very different as you so often mention Stu from boys' football! The skills are more limited, but the endeavour and determination are no different. And once the game is over, girls move on straight away! The only Australian sporting team I felt any connection with is the Matildas. I do love watching them and for me to be able to watch Ireland play them recently was brilliant. TV coverage of Irish womens' football in Australia was non existent until recently and I now get as excited watching the Irish girls as much as the men! Our recent results show we can match it with the big girls and the sport will only get bigger and better. There are roughly 2066 threads in this section of foot.ie and I am sure there will be much more discussion in this section about our international team as it really hasn't got traction in the women's section. Is it too much to ask for respect for this one thread among 2066 other threads? I have lost a lot of respect for some posters on here who I had found funny and often insightful, and it is sad to see such sexism on here, not what I expected to be honest.

26. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    The fact that there are probably more posts in the thread in a week than on the womens forum in the past 12 months is proof positive, that if you bring discussion of the womens game to a wider audience, just as playing of the womens game to a wider audience, more will engage with it.

Some of the responses to the thread have been baffling. If you don't like womens football, no one is beating you up to engage in it. Its one thread amongst '000's, so is seeing it on the front page so.. I don't know.. scary?

If Ireland had a beach football team, blind football, homeless football, amputee football, cerebral palsy football team.. would we not all celebrate their achievements too

Wait.. they have. And we do. We're all one football family.. lets embrace every branch on the tree

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast